Amazing Member

Default Wally Wood remembered 35 years later

It was 35 years ago today, that wally Wood was seen for the last time. He was found dead about three or so days later,from a self inflected gun shot.Rather then endure a few years clinging to life,and a career pretty much over with his vision and health going, he went that route.A month or so later, I was paging through issue 181 of daredevil, when I was stunned at a yellow box in the letters page, saying he had died.He had a career of about 33 years.I remember being blew away by such as a story in creepy that came out in the middle of the summer of 1971.Issue 43 I think, a battle with cosmic gods and a minotaur, that ended with one of earths moons crushed by the hero, and an age ended. eclipse reprinted it in their wood mini series in the 1980's,a fine collection in itself.I remember his inks on the 1972 claws of the cat one, drawn by marie Severin.Many years later, I'd read that he inked the cat necked, and a bit of white out had to be done. Any artist he inked, be they her,Ross Andru, Heck, Brown, looked great with his inks.The art of Kane and Kirby really shined with Wood inks! I still have capt. action 1 by him.His ec science fiction was awesome.Great at humor as well. Got the 1967 whamo giant comic with his work in it. Some very good collections of his work out there, well worth picking up.Back in the spring of 1985 or so, I seen West high school being torn down. Didn't know at the time, it was where Wood graduated.He made copies of his diploma, with his name blank,for members of his fan club.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.j. View Post
    It was 35 years ago today, that wally Wood was seen for the last time. He was found dead about three or so days later,from a self inflected gun shot.Rather then endure a few years clinging to life,and a career pretty much over with his vision and health going, he went that route.A month or so later, I was paging through issue 181 of daredevil, when I was stunned at a yellow box in the letters page, saying he had died.He had a career of about 33 years.I remember being blew away by such as a story in creepy that came out in the middle of the summer of 1971.Issue 43 I think, a battle with cosmic gods and a minotaur, that ended with one of earths moons crushed by the hero, and an age ended. eclipse reprinted it in their wood mini series in the 1980's,a fine collection in itself.I remember his inks on the 1972 claws of the cat one, drawn by marie Severin.Many years later, I'd read that he inked the cat necked, and a bit of white out had to be done. Any artist he inked, be they her,Ross Andru, Heck, Brown, looked great with his inks.The art of Kane and Kirby really shined with Wood inks! I still have capt. action 1 by him.His ec science fiction was awesome.Great at humor as well. Got the 1967 whamo giant comic with his work in it. Some very good collections of his work out there, well worth picking up.Back in the spring of 1985 or so, I seen West high school being torn down. Didn't know at the time, it was where Wood graduated.He made copies of his diploma, with his name blank,for members of his fan club.
    Thank you for sharing this. I came to know of his work through reprints of EC comics. It wasn't until I was in highschool that his name stood out. This would have been the early nineties. I went to a con and wondered if he ever did any conventions. That's when I found out that sadly he had been gone since 81. I remember reading years ago in an interview he gave that if he had to do it all over again he would have cut his hands off. So much love and passion went into his work that it really ate him up. Those last three years since he lost his vision in one eye I'm sure was a living hell for him. His name will always live on through his work.
    Comic, toys and all around geek things from older geeks perspective: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...zQaKJKBaqzuNdg