View Poll Results: Has Bryan Singer finished eating his Humble Pie after X-Men Apocalypse?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 18.18%
  • No

32 58.18%
  • Maybe

13 23.64%
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Singer is a good director, with a (self admitted) bad imagination for action scenes.

Simon Kinberg is an amazingly bad writer.

The more you think about it, DOFP must have been a fluke for both of them.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Singer is a good director, with a (self admitted) bad imagination for action scenes.

Simon Kinberg is an amazingly bad writer.

The more you think about it, DOFP must have been a fluke for both of them.
    They just took all Matthew Vaughn's original idea's

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    X3 was better. the film flowed better and I felt the performances were better as well.
    I agree with this. Apocalypse was pretty awful. Perhaps the worst of all the X-films.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I agree with this. Apocalypse was pretty awful. Perhaps the worst of all the X-films.
    lol stop.

That will forever belong to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Apocalypse is better than X3 and Origins. I would argue X1 is only slightly better than Apocalypse, what he got right in X1 he got wrong in Apocalypse and vice versa. However content is more important that spectacle which gives X1 the edge.

DOFP
    X2
    First Class
    X1
    Apocalypse
    X3
    The Wolverine (Which frankly could rank higher as a better film, I just prefer the team movies)
    Origins

Deadpool just isn't X-Men to me. Though I love that he is in their world. Maybe this will change the more X-Force is introduced.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

X3 is better than apocalypse.

X3 had better action scenes that flowed well with the story.

the film did not have any silly scene that could have been cut out like the entire wolverine and strkyer scene from Apocalypse

the film did not have any forced and obviously plot cliche device arc like magneto and his 'new' family.

the actors in X3 were not bland.

X3>>>>>>>Apocalypse.

Singer must have learned

I'll give you that X3 is a better ACTION movie.. but it's not a better X-Men movie in my opinion.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    What could've been an epic tribute to the 80s, to the best of the X-Men franchise, just became the McAvoy/Fassbender show once again. (I left J-Law out of the set because she phoned in her entire performance.)

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    What could've been an epic tribute to the 80s, to the best of the X-Men franchise, just became the McAvoy/Fassbender show once again. (I left J-Law out of the set because she phoned in her entire performance.)
    I don't think you can omit JLaw, since Singer and co pretty much tailored made the film to suit Mystique as the central character. A mistake; along with Apocalypse's poor characterization and lack of menace in the film. Change those two things (dump JLaw), dial up Apocalypse and focus on the X-Men, then the film could've been something great. As it stands now, Apocalypse made less domestically (unadjusted) than X1, X2, X3, DOFP, XMO and Deadpool.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 10-31-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

X3 was god awful.

Jean Grey played a supporting role in her most iconic story line. The phoenix looked like a bootleg Dark Willow. They tried to shove together the Dark Phoenix plot and the cure plot in a way that could have made sense, but they didn't really develop either well enough. The entire film just felt rushed altogether, mostly due to the fact that Ranter wasn't a fan of long movies, and wanted to shove as much as they possibly could in with a very short run time. Some of the visuals were nice. Iceman's getting iced up looked cool, but some of the action was Batman and Robin levels of cheesy. Storm riding in a whirlwind just so she could shoot lighting bolts looked it took inspiration from a toy that came from a fast food place. Wolverine slicing off the arms of that guy, just so that they could grow back, I also thought was cheesy. Overall, the film really missed the mark of what it should have been. If people like it that's cool, but it was far from what it could have been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I don't think you can omit JLaw, since Singer and co pretty much tailored made the film to suit Mystique as the central character.
    The hell you can't omit her. Have her disappear post-DoFP and focus on Xavier and Henry building a new X-Men team and actually spend all that time wasted on J-Law's empty XMA performance (not to mention Fassbender's pointless family subplot...did we really need to waste all that time establishing YET AGAIN why Magneto hates humanity?) on developing said X-Men. Like Jubilee, wtf was the point of even having her just to rob her of almost all of her lines and to save the one use of her power for the deleted scenes? XMA was a huge failure, made worse by the fact that it could've been absolutely breathtaking, a love note to the period of the X-Men that made them stick in our hearts over the decades.

Singer is horrible, so is Kinberg, but I assure you, 100%, they have not learned anything, certainly not humility.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    "oh the irony since X3 is a better film than Apocalypse."
    Seriously? Apocalypse is surely not that great, but it's far from being worst than X3.
    Exactly. Cmon now op
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I like Singer fine. He's made some fine X-men films in X1, X2 and DoFP; and, as you said, produced First Class which was a very solid film. He may've had a producer title on The Wolverine too, which I liked a lot despite its kind of silly third act. And I even liked Apocalypse for what it was, a love letter to the 90s X-men; though it may've thrown too much out there and left a lot of things half baked, and in the case of Apocalypse didn't go far enough in his alieness or do him justice in terms of being an imposing presence. At least IMO. He tried to make him too relatable and human, and I think he should've just gone all out and made him a mad force of nature type character. His motivations are what they are. They're not deep, or stemming from some understandable place rooted in the human experience. He believes he's serving the will of the cosmos by culling the weak and propelling evolution forward. He's nuts. Run with it and have a ball I say. They could've even gotten into the origins of mutant life on the planet and paid some lip service to the Celestials, who seeded all life actually and left the potential there for evolutionary leaps forward.

Having said all that, he's been involved in the franchise for a long time. It may be time for someone else to get a shot. My hope is that he takes a step back and, if he remains involved with the franchise (which is likely), he does so as a producer with a new director in the chair.
    I'm pretty much on par with this. Movie was ok. It's just they reigned in apocalypse too much. And he was much too small outside that mental plane battle. It lacked a bit of direction too. They might have done better to draw on a particular storyline
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    The hell you can't omit her. Have her disappear post-DoFP and focus on Xavier and Henry building a new X-Men team and actually spend all that time wasted on J-Law's empty XMA performance (not to mention Fassbender's pointless family subplot...did we really need to waste all that time establishing YET AGAIN why Magneto hates humanity?) on developing said X-Men. Like Jubilee, wtf was the point of even having her just to rob her of almost all of her lines and to save the one use of her power for the deleted scenes? XMA was a huge failure, made worse by the fact that it could've been absolutely breathtaking, a love note to the period of the X-Men that made them stick in our hearts over the decades.
    There is fans of the X-men outside of the US, you know.