Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Superman 10 Discussion

What a glorious, glorious issue. spoilers:
    Bat-cow is in this issue
    end of spoilers

BANNED

It was good until Superman showed up, after that there were some bright spots like Damian telling Jon about Bat-Cow and his return from the dead, but the way the fight broke out and the team using Jon's capture as another opportunity to write a livid Superman ruined it for me, even if there were some nice touches to what occurred during the fight, with the animals helping Damian.

Based on the preview I thought I'd like this more than any of the Dinosaur Island issues, but didn't turn out that way.

The first 10 pages are still the best the Superman book has been since Rebirth started, with the exception of issue #7.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-02-2016 at 01:49 AM.

I would be livid if my son was kidnapped by a man I somewhat trust like Batman. He probably wasn't sure if this new Batman would take away Jon's powers or worse. What is wrong with a livid Superman

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

There will be spoilers in my post.

Tomasi and Gleason are clearly having a blast with this book, and I'm right there along with them! I had such a great time reading this book. This issue was all about character work, establishing dynamics, and the voices of each character. I think they knocked it out of the park with all three.

-Everyone sounds distinctive and fun. The aristocratic air that accompanies Damian, Jon's earnest nature, the love hate relationship between Maya and Damian, and Superman and Batman's tandem yet distinct authoritative voices. I love it all.

-So we learn a lot more about Jon's situation than I was anticipating. 1) his powers and control fluctuate based on his emotional state. We kind of already got hints at this, but now we know that it's the reason behind all of the fluctuations. This explains how Jon is able to KO a pterodactyl of of the sky while filled with righteous fury, and out race his dad while he's confident and happy. Theoretically, if Jon gets control of his emotions when he's older (flash forward story) he'd be capable of amazing feats (also yes it's like Gohan). 2) Jon got ice breath! That's usually a power that takes a while for Kryptoians to get (when it's treated as it's own thing as it seems to be here). 3) Jon will eventually gain new and unknown powers overtime.

-I liked how we don't have Clark and Bruce actually fight. Rebirth has been faking us out with the idea of this for a while now, and I love how every time they end up not fighting. I love how this is in contrast to Superboy and Robin fighting, but in a very (purposefully) unceremonious way. It's literally just too kids getting into it rather than two titans trying to kill each other. I ended up laughing out loud a few times

-Love the animals!

-Love how Batman and Superman are basically bonding over the idea of having kids.

-Love how Jon is taller than Damian even though he's 3 years younger lol

So much fun!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I would be livid if my son was kidnapped by a man I somewhat trust like Batman. He probably wasn't sure if this new Batman would take away Jon's powers or worse. What is wrong with a livid Superman
    Nothing if it's done sparingly.

But Post-Crisis Superman's been written as too aggressive too often since Rebirth began. The entire scene would have been fine, minus Superman knocking away Robin, if Superman hadn't been too quick to attack Luthor in Action Comics, Eradicator in Superman before he knew it was Eradicator, and getting mad at Kathy's grandfather.

There was scene similar to the one in this in 'Last Son' when Superman discovers that Chris Kent was abducted by the Military. It worked better there because it wasn't part of a pattern of behavior of a Superman that's quick to anger.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I thought it was more than understandable in this issue. I can appreciate your opinion of it being possibly being too often (though that part with Kathy's grandpa can't agree with you on at all), but I think it was handled well enough in this issue for me to appreciate it on it's own.

I love how Bruce and Clark quickly return to common ground when they remember that they're both dads who are and have been just trying their best (just like their fathers before them).

It's strange............ I think that I am more Damian fan than ever..

7 years more and Damian with 20 years... The perfect Batman, Dick has never wanted to be the next batman.. Sometimes Batman did something that others donīt understand(his plans to destroy the JL for example..).. Damian today did something similar when he saw the danger, Fire in the forest(OK, really Maya did this), not before..

Goliath frozen? Fortunelly is too Strong for this... A sick Superman is dangerous for Metropolis.. Fortunately he can not get sick.

MAYA hacked the JL Central Computer??? Good Work.. Those enemies who faced Superman at the start of N52 had better invisibility, yes, this is not the same, superpowers.. Damian doesnīt want another boy(only a child) touch Maya.. OK, she isnīt in the next issue... After N52 his return is something..

ALL DAMIAN PETS HERE.. Good work Alfred... the cat say DOUNīT TOUCH HIM, HE IS MY PROPIETARY.. Like a very angry Titus...Yes, these animals are survivors and of Damian.. the cow is the only perfect for a farm but.. is of Damian.. Poor Alfred Penyworth, the father of All Batfamily or Grandfather... FROZEN..

For one moment I remembered Injustice Superman, with that appearance... The most BEAUTIFUL BATARANG that I never see, not black..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-02-2016 at 06:06 AM.

A bit disappointed.

It's not out of characters. But it may be too much "true" the characters.

The Damian kidnapping someone trick has been done last month in Teen Titans.
    Batman does his own scan, because he does that.
    Superman is overprotective dad again.

This story is supposed to be a sort of prologue to the Supersons series. I already know Peter Tomasi can use Damian and has a good Jon. No need to put them both in a room to show it. Show me there is an actual potential for an on going here.
    There is may be readers who are just going to read Damian for the first time with this issue, but I feel the two-issue format is just too short here.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was fun overall. The relationship between both parents and their kids was pretty on-point and showed a nice contrast. I have no problems about how the fight between Jon and Damian escalated so fast since they're both children after all (and the fact that Damian is angry at Jon because he's some sort of animal activist is just so on-point). I do have a few problems about how fast the fight between Superman and Batman escalated though but fortunately it didn't last long.

Stunning art from Gleason as usual.

Incredible Member

Man this was so good. A comic hasn't made me laugh this hard in years. Damien is such a troll. I love it.

10/10.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I love this. Both characters play so well off each other. Looking forward to Super-Sons.

Loved it.

It was another great issue of Rebirth Superman, and a reunion of Tomasi and Gleason's B&R/R:SOB casts, all rolled into one fun book.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Nothing if it's done sparingly.

But Post-Crisis Superman's been written as too aggressive too often since Rebirth began. The entire scene would have been fine, minus Superman knocking away Robin, if Superman hadn't been too quick to attack Luthor in Action Comics, Eradicator in Superman before he knew it was Eradicator, and getting mad at Kathy's grandfather.

There was scene similar to the one in this in 'Last Son' when Superman discovers that Chris Kent was abducted by the Military. It worked better there because it wasn't part of a pattern of behavior of a Superman that's quick to anger.
    The unfortunate thing about Superman's width as a character is that he becomes a uniquely broad target for criticism. He's a boy scout to some, too rough and edgy to others. Some people limit it to this or that version but I mean, pre-crisis Superman once beat up Mister Miracle for trying to one-up him in Metropolis. *shrug*

I did find it a little strange that Gleason, being such a large contributor, over sold the emotions. Clark's arrival did seem a little too intense, even if the action and dialogue were understandable.

I think aside from that and Alfred (was he always such a butler?) I really liked this issue. As a prologue for the new title, mission accomplished was merely introducing the characters and dynamics, but we can always use more Batman/Superman chemistry development and it was here, too.

Astonishing Member

Ten out of ten.

I loved this. I thought you don't get a better way to shoehorn "Mad Dads Misunderstanding" in than Damian kidnapping Jonathan, Batman showing up to be like "KID, NO!" and Superman showing up like "HELL NO!" And the tussle at the end resulting in Alfred knocked over and two very angry Superdads is just like purely "from kids point of view" amazing. Maya was great, and so were the direct references to "Leviathan" and "Robin Rises".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Can't find nothing wrong with this issue. Really liking Jon's and Damien's dynamic. But what Kathy said before leaving... it's interesting.