Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I took it as Damian looking for a way to get under Jon's skin and he finally found it. Up to that point, Jon had been the voice of reason. Earlier he wouldn't retaliate against the school bully, but the death of his cat--and the uncertainty about his powers that it represents--are a sore spot for him.

I thought Superman acted about right. I mean, his kid got kidnapped and strapped to a gurney with needles by a kid whose resume includes the League of Assassins.
    I think Damian was also testing his theory that Jon's powers manifest when he gets emotional. So he was trying to push his buttons. The continued attitude really wasn't justified though, especially the idea that Jon is dangerous because he's an alien.

Batman stepping in and handling Damian definitely helped to calm Superman down. I can understand not wanting to spend a lot of page space on it. I just found the sudden change of pace a little jarring. Superman and Batman talking about fatherhood actually felt pretty natural. Superman's initial reaction and his later conversation all seemed perfectly natural to me. The transition was pretty quick, which threw me off a little.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Loved this issue. Damian and Jon's dynamic is a pleasure and makes my really excited for 'Super Sons'. This is the best Damian has sounded by this team and it's just a shame that Gleason wasn't helping with the writing in B&R because it's definitely his hand that's making Damian sound the way he should, and although I enjoyed B&R for the most of it, that would've help tremendously. Also, Gleason's art is amazing. Some of the best Superman I've read in a long time.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I liked this, but I didn't love it like I hoped I would. My expectations were too high, I guess. Superman's arrival struck me as over the top. I could see him behaving that way if Jon had been snatched by an unknown person and taken to an unknown location. But Clark was busting into Bruce's cave. Put away the menacing heat vision, Clark. It'll be OK.

The Jon-Damien stuff was cute, but it felt abbreviated, and the ending didn't seem fully earned. Still looking forward to Super Sons, and I'm still loving the shorter story arcs.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Acttually it's not the Bat cave that Clark bust in on. It's in Gotham, but it's actually a clock tower that Maya brings Jon to. That might have had something to do with Clark's anger along with the idea that his son was abducted by anyone Batman or not. Clark wasn't advised or anything, and he busted in on his son strapped to a Frankenstein set up (which is super cute btw Damian is so funny lol). Clark calms himself after Jon lets him know that everything's okay though.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-03-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Angry Not "Everyone Else" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Yeah, that Damian Wayne - always going around knocking out and kidnapping people (good and decent superheroes, kids, that sort of thing) who are not breaking the law. What a kaboodle of major felonies he commits! Why, I'm surprised that the JLA hasn't arrested him and made sure he winds up in a cell! But it's all in good fun, right, and superheroes and their children are above both the law and any reasonable code of ethics....

I don't really find it so funny. Bruce is a completely ineffectual father, and Damian gets away with things that Batman would hunt down people for.

It didn't really bother me so much here, because the Supersons tone is deliberately Silver Age/campy, but added on top of the Teen Titans stuff, it all seemed a bit much for me. But I see everyone else loves it, so that's just me. Enjoy!
    It's not just you, I didn't appreciate Damian's actions either here or in Teen Titans, either.

And, I totally agree with you that Bruce is a total failure as a father.

OTOH, he DID catch up to Damian rather quickly. Maybe the reluctant Titans told him what had happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Acttually it's not the Bat cave that Clark bust in on. It's in Gotham, but it's actually a clock tower that Maya brings Jon to. That might have had something to do with Clark's anger along with the idea that his son was abducted by anyone Batman or not. Clark wasn't advised or anything, and he bust in on his son strapped to a Frankenstein set up (which is super cute btw Damian is so funny lol). Clark calms himself after Jon lets him know that everything's okay though.
    Ohh, I need to read it again. That would address my concern.

Ultimate Member

I loved this book and I fully understand Superman's actions here.

Speaking as a parent, if anyone kidnaps my son and i mean ANYONE..... i'm getting up in their face big time. Even moreso if i had the power of Superman.

One question: when Superman said “of course”, did that mean “of course you'd keep a sample of my son's DNA” or “of course you can; I wouldn't have it any other way”?
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    One question: when Superman said “of course”, did that mean “of course you'd keep a sample of my son's DNA” or “of course you can; I wouldn't have it any other way”?
    I read it as being the first rather than the second but that just how I personally saw it.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Yeah I read it as the first one. Clark's basically going like "of course" *eyeroll*

what Damian said to Jon about killing his cat was REALLY harsh, he deserved that punch. Loved all of the issue.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah I read it as the first one. Clark's basically going like "of course" *eyeroll*
    I kinda read it with a hint of sarcasm attached plus an internal eyeroll.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I kinda read it with a hint of sarcasm attached plus an internal eyeroll.
    Lol yeah, same here.

BANNED

It's nice that Tomasi doesn't have to structure his stories around the madness that's going on over in AC.

But this issue was so boring that I wish I hadn't have bothered.

It had all the depth and profundity of a Saturday morning cartoon. If it was a colouring book, it would be paint by numbers.

As for bothering; I really won't next time. I need to learn a lesson.

Thanks DC, you've made me hate Superman books again

Incredible Member

I took it as the second but my understanding is that Tomasi is both influenced by Morrison AND was influential on Morrison when he was an editor.

Remember All-Star Superman's exchange between Superman and Quintum? Quintum tells him they'll try to create another Superman after he dies fro his DNA and Superman replies, casually, "Sounds sensible."

I also gather that in the New 52 that Morrison meant for his Superman to mellow out to that point later in his career but folks kept writing the "five years later" New 52 Superman as aggressive.

That to me is the hallmark of the Morrisonian Superman. He's not bothered by things. Oh, he'll burst into rooms in an angry red eyed pose and shout a ramble of accusations like a soap opera character (because that's what people do in super-hero comics) but he doesn't get casually provoked and he's not really the sarcastic type. Things make him angry or sad but they don't get under his skin. When he feels mad, he shouts and there's no lingering, half-repressed feeling there. He wears his heart on his sleeve and lets his emotions out.

Honestly, he's Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks. That's your big note for the Morrisonian Superman. I'm surprised I've never seen anyone acknowledge that.