Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unglaublich!

Default Happy "M-Day" anniversary!

I always remember being quite surprised to see that M-Day was cast in stone as being November 2nd...

...because it's my birthday! Shameless plug, I know

So... anyone got any thoughts or feelings regarding the anniversary of the Decimation...?

Happy Birthday!

Do we have to blow up toy buses on this day? I'm not sure what the protocol here is.

Somehow it feels like it was only a year ago.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Celebrating one the the nails in the X-books proverbial coffin? One of comics prime examples of using a chainsaw instead of a scalpel?

Yes I understand the writers where going a bit crazy with the mutants, but M-day was overboard and the series never fully recovered, though Kyle and Yost as well as Peter David squeezed some good stories out of it.

The X-mens never recover after that except for some stories we had bad years overall.

They are no longer heroes trying to change the world and become a bunch of survivors fighting against extinction and has been so far.

We know that this will change in IvX and hope we have good sales because do not want to hear again about extinction for many years.

a dark day in our history

An especially dark day for Moonstar fans. Is she the only prominent mutant who still hasn't gotten her powers back?

But happy birthday, Phoenix Raptor!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    An especially dark day for Moonstar fans. Is she the only prominent mutant who still hasn't gotten her powers back?

But happy birthday, Phoenix Raptor!
    Jubilee is another, She got vamperised...Its not like she has a history with Emplate or anything...no lets make her a generic vampire.

Oh? I thought she got her powers back as well as the vampire stuff. Shows how well I've been paying attention.

I think the writers of the X-women version of Adjectiveless wanted to... Brian Wood? the series where she picked up Shogo. But his request was denied. Their is a lot of rough sketch and cover at of her having her powers back.

That's probably where I got the idea from. Should make Jubilee's (and maybe Dani's) role in GenX interesting, I guess. I'd rather have them both with their powers back, though.

Happy Birthday. It must be nice to be born on such a good day for the X-Men.

Happy Birthday.

"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
    — The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1 View Post
    Somehow it feels like it was only a year ago.
    Well, in Marvel years, it's was like two years ago.

I feel tempted to just write up a think-piece "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love M-Day"; when people say that a few good stories came out of it I truly think they do the books following M-Day a massive disservice. I think a lot of people would be les offended by it if the X-Men had got to continue moving forwards after AvX, instead of being forced to retread a relatively recent storyline in the form of the T-Mists.
    Extinction events are almost becoming a trope for the X-Men, Genosha, M-Day, T-Mists, but I think M-Day remains the one, that may have been convoluted in conception (no one is a mutant bc she said so, thx marvel), yet was well executed. Stories with consequence and meaning always rank higher for me than ones that are boring and stick to the same status quo. Certainly a lot of fan favourite characters never recovered and I'm sure the state of forums, such as this, were cataclysmic in the months surrounding M-Day, despite this I do genuinely believe that a lot of good came out of it. So much good, in fact, that I'd argue said good outweighs the bad.

The deaths and depowerings and reshuffles all contributed to one tone and story that not only worked but helped to prove the power of serial, franchised storytelling.

Astonishing Member

Yay! Let's celebrate the day that resulted in the depowerings of Jubilee, Chamber, Wind Dancer, Prodigy, Mirage, Blob, Rictor . . .

Nope. Sorry. Can't do it. Can't even fake it. I can't act like I'm happy about an event that took the powers away from a number of cool characters, threw an Avenger under the bus and ultimately resulted in months of Cyclops and Emma wringing their hands over population numbers and years of the X-Men just being desperate survivors. If I had liked the resulting stories, it might be different. But I didn't.

But hey, happy Birthday!