Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Green Lanterns #10 (Spoilers)

Pardon me if there was a thread for this and I missed it.

Anyway, we pick up almost exactly where the last issue left off.

spoilers:
    Frank arrives to Simon's hometown and goes from nervous looking door salesman (who says "good afternoon when its after dark) to crazy guy with a lighter in a blink of an eye, as he make a distraction out of a house on fire.

Simon tries on the Phantom Ring, to colorful effect, but he couldn't really make use if it, and is promptly scolded by Rami.

He and Jessica then decide that they need to move to keep the ring safe, so in lieu of wandering around blind to try to luck upon the Corp. (which Jessica may be apprehensive to do 'cause she doesn't want to go to space right now), Jessica suggests going to her sister's house.

Nazir wants to tag along, since his wife and son seem to be away for the time being, but Simon dissuades him of doing so, to Nazir's evident dejection, as he wants to get back into the action, as he feels it.

Jess notices the fire a few houses down, and the Lanterns go off to fight it, with Jess doing the saving and Simon doing the containing and extinguishing, and both wondering if the Phantom Ring would be a better fit, for differing reasons.

Meanwhile, Nazir and Rami argue about standing out in the open in front of their house, with the former being levelheaded and the latter being a weird combo of too overcautious and haughty at the same time, allowing Frank to sneak in the back and locate the Phantom Ring (pretty easily).

His reactions to finally having a Power Ring are shown vividly as he sweats in eager anticipation. He is halted, but not deterred, by Rami before Volthoom ensnares Rami seconds later. Frank says a chant, a very ominous and power focused one, and goes from a guy who had let himself get out of shape due to his encroaching despair into the very muscular and cape-wearing, brand new Phantom Lantern!

The Ring's power makes him the Green Lantern he's always lusted to be, and he begins to admire himself in more reaction shots that haphazardly change between deranged looks of power and childish looks of glee, both kind of disconcerting in a context like this one... Anyway, Frank gets caught off guard by Nazir taking a hatchet to the intruder, which causes Frank to feel fear and become a Yellow Lantern, even as he remembers that he can't be harmed by such paltry means. The Yellow Light causes Nazir to back off in fear, and Frank actually seems to catch on to the fact that he gets power through other's fear this way.

Frank wants to experiment more, but Volthoom talks him out of it and back in favor of his sticking to his plan, and though it seemed like Frank would be too out of control at first, he eventually subsides. But not before being a true Yellow Lantern bully and using his powers to scare Nazir with his worst fears, and that's being seen and thought of as a coward who's too weak to do anything "substantial" (which Nazir feels should be more than simply being a good stay at home husband and father, despite what Simon urges), said through a visage of his son for extra jerk points for Frank and despair points for Nazir.

A few doors down, the fire has been quashed, and Jessica gets some hope and resolve with her status as a Green Lantern from the girl she rescues in a really endearing way (yes, girls can be Green Lanterns, too, even if they are from Earth). Simon, however, makes note of a Lantern's streak of light zooming away in the sky, which shouldn't be, as there are no other Lanterns but them, right?

We end with Phantom Lantern Frank, back in his preferred Green, ending the issue on a twistedly positive note, as he "carries" the unconscious Rami to who knows where...
    end of spoilers

So yeah. Quite the doozy. And of course, the two weeks wait is going to be especially long with this one.

Astonishing Member

I like how when Simon is cycling through the emotions and hits compassion that he speaks in the Indigo Tribe language. This storyline is so far more interesting than Rage Planet.

I have a feeling that Simon and Jessica are going to give Hal a mouthful, if he ever makes it back to Earth, over all the stuff they had to deal with without any help or assistance. How many messages have they left on his ring at this point ?

Y'know, one of the nice things about Jessica is that we finally have a prominent female Earth Lantern, and one who's getting a good bit of promotion right now. I really liked that scene with her and the little girl .

I hope Nazir is okay ...

It's interesting to think what Lanterns Simon and Jessica might be more suited for. I remember that scene during the tail-end of the pre-Flashpoint Green Lantern run where all the GL's needed to use rings from other Corps. (Hal was Yellow, Guy was Red, Kyle was Blue, and John was Indigo).

Jessica is obviously very effected by her fears (Yellow), but she also seems to generally be a fairly optimistic person (Blue).

Simon obviously has anger issues (Red), but he has strong familial love (Violet) just like Jessica does.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have a feeling that Simon and Jessica are going to give Hal a mouthful, if he ever makes it back to Earth, over all the stuff they had to deal with without any help or assistance. How many messages have they left on his ring at this point ?
    - Where the hell were you?

- I was turning into a living construct, I blew up Sinestro and his goons, then I became one with the emotional spectrum. Ring had no connection in there."

I think they would show some understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

- I was turning into a living construct, I blew up Sinestro and his goons, then I became one with the emotional spectrum. Ring had no connection in there."

I wonder if Jessica would again ask "Who's Sinestro?" or has she gotten past that point ?

Astonishing Member

It's interesting to think what Lanterns Simon and Jessica might be more suited for. I remember that scene during the tail-end of the pre-Flashpoint Green Lantern run where all the GL's needed to use rings from other Corps. (Hal was Yellow, Guy was Red, Kyle was Blue, and John was Indigo).

Jessica is obviously very effected by her fears (Yellow), but she also seems to generally be a fairly optimistic person (Blue).

Simon obviously has anger issues (Red), but he has strong familial love (Violet) just like Jessica does.
    It'd be interesting to explore the power of familial love against romantic love. Given her strong maternal instincts, regardless of how she expresses them, imagine Kryb as a Star Sapphire. That would be a force to rival even a determined and fully powered Larfleeze.

Simon has demonstrated abilities similar to that of a Blue Lantern. He brought his brother out of a coma, a feat believed impossible. He also was able to reach through to Red Lantern Bleez, another property of the Blue Ring. In New Guardians #18, the First Lantern explored an alternative path where Saint Walker wore a Green Ring, but became a Blue Lantern in hope of saving his family from the Third Army infection, so there is a precedent for a Green turning Blue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I like how when Simon is cycling through the emotions and hits compassion that he speaks in the Indigo Tribe language. This storyline is so far more interesting than Rage Planet.
    Didn't know that was the Indigo Tribe language he was speaking at that point.

I'm in love this story for the same reasons I loved the last one: because of the character focus and interactions of the people in it. This writer knows how to get in-depth into the characters he writes, and it makes everything bloom that much brighter.

Y'know, one of the nice things about Jessica is that we finally have a prominent female Earth Lantern, and one who's getting a good bit of promotion right now. I really liked that scene with her and the little girl .

I hope Nazir is okay ...

That scene with Jessica and the girl she rescued was a definite highlight. I agree that finally having an Earth female Green Lantern is all kinds of awesome!

Also, I felt really bad for Nazir in this issue. You can tell that he's been struggling with his "position" in their family for some time now, and I get the sense that as genuinely happy he is for his bestie, he's also envious of Simon. The fact that he fears being seen as a coward who can do anything worthy kind of exemplifies that. Basically, there's a part of Nazir who wishes he could be Simon and who feels unworthy and inferior by comparison.

I wonder if that'll become an issue later? In fact, it almost certainly will. There's still that vision Simon had of Nazir foaming Red... We were lead to believe that nothing would come of it, but...

Given enough time, I wonder if Nazir wouldn't have attempted to wear the Phantom Ring?

Lastly, Ring/Emotion switching came to my mind after going through this issue, too. Simon, in particular, gives off vibes of Willpower, Rage, Hope, and Fear (which he has purposefully had to cultivate at times growing against some of his and his sister's worse detractors). I'm actually really pleased that this series is taking the time to imply that Green Lantern's potential isn't necessarily tied to the Willpower need for their rings, which has been especially emphasized with Simon, but also with Jessica, too. It makes it feel more real to acknowledge that people are more than one emotion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Didn't know that was the Indigo Tribe language he was speaking at that point.
    They've got their own language that other rings can't translate due to how reclusive the Indigo Tribe is. Their whole oath is in this language. They can still speak a language that can be translated by other rings, as individuals such as Indigo-1 and Munk have communicated with others outside of the Tribe. Kyle hasn't been in contact with the Tribe since becoming the White Lantern, so we don't know if he can understand them since he's mastered compassion.

Simon is still speaking it after Rami takes the Phantom Ring back, but quickly snaps out of it. The fact he's speaking it is a nice touch.

It's kind of funny that we have another major Lantern villain with a cape.

First Parallax, then Sinestro as Parallax, and now Frank as the Phantom Lantern.

The next time Atrocitus shows up I'm expecting him to get a rage upgrade and a matching cape to go with it .

Astonishing Member

It's kind of funny that we have another major Lantern villain with a cape.

First Parallax, then Sinestro as Parallax, and now Frank as the Phantom Lantern.

The next time Atrocitus shows up I'm expecting him to get a rage upgrade and a matching cape to go with it .
    When I saw Frank's GL uniform I immediately flashed back to
    NoCapes_zps82c1bcc0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

i don't know about "understanding" is the right word for that one. Absolution, sure, not sure if they're gonna wrap their heads around that story though.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 11-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

They've got their own language that other rings can't translate due to how reclusive the Indigo Tribe is. Their whole oath is in this language. They can still speak a language that can be translated by other rings, as individuals such as Indigo-1 and Munk have communicated with others outside of the Tribe. Kyle hasn't been in contact with the Tribe since becoming the White Lantern, so we don't know if he can understand them since he's mastered compassion.

Simon is still speaking it after Rami takes the Phantom Ring back, but quickly snaps out of it. The fact he's speaking it is a nice touch.
    I recall that they did have their own untranslatable language, but it's been so long, and I wouldn't have recognized it either way.

But yeah, I agree that it was a nice touch, especially with how long it's been since we've seen a genuine Indigo Ring wielder.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I recall that they did have their own untranslatable language, but it's been so long, and I wouldn't have recognized it either way.

But yeah, I agree that it was a nice touch, especially with how long it's been since we've seen a genuine Indigo Ring wielder.
    It was Godhead with Indigo-1. Before that Natromo appeared at the end of Lights Out.

...imagine Kryb as a Star Sapphire.
    Wasn't she one, for a while?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Wasn't she one, for a while?
    She's a Sinestro Corp, but was captured by the Star Sapphire and encased for rehabilitation at the end of Sins of the Star Sapphires. She escaped during Blackest Night only to be killed by Guy and came back as a Black Lantern. Flashpoint must have retconned her death because she's back for the New 52.