Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not surprising really, but damn, that was fast. is the second issue even out?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zolalnadia View Post
    Marvel has the pre-order numbers up through at least issue 3. They can likely tell if the book is DOA.

Shocking...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    This is exactly why I dropped the book after issue 1. I mean, what the hell, Marvel? A straight white male character can't be virtuous or competent or cool in 2016? We get it, you want diversity. But stop insulting your audience to the point where you think diversity is mutually exclusive from UNITY. Let's ALL be cool, yea?
    .....What?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Marvel has the pre-order numbers up through at least issue 3. They can likely tell if the book is DOA.
    You're right but backwards. The book is DOA because they only judge preorder numbers. The book could be the best-selling book possible based on in-store purchases, but preorder is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    You're right but backwards. The book is DOA because they only judge preorder numbers. The book could be the best-selling book possible based on in-store purchases, but preorder is all that matters.
    But seriously, this is the Solo book.

This is about the most unsurprisingly cancellation ever. A book about a not particularly unique character whose only recent relevance was in a book that sold on the Deadpool brand, with very little promotion, in a very stacked marketplace. I think it would have been better to just announce this as the 6 issue mini series it inevitably was going to be.

The book is DOA because Marvel thought that standing next to Deadpool for a few issues would be enough to make characters like Foolkiller, Solo, and Slapstick into bankable IP.

Comics publishers do put a lot of weight on the DM preorders, because that's primarily what they have to gauge interest by: retailers ordering what they think they can sell. And if customer interest was badly underestimated, then that's going to show pretty quickly. High demand on reorders, lively digital sales, or unusually strong preorders on the trade collection are all indications that a book may have more life in it than it first seemed. And publishers want to make money. So if a book has to keep going back to print because shops can't keep it on the shelves, for example, that's probably going to buy it another arc or maybe a follow-up project. Conversely, if the preorder numbers are low and there's no other activity, there's not typically much reason to keep a series going.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 11-04-2016 at 06:22 AM.

This is unsurprising. Lack of pre-orders will do that.

Can't believe three characters from a Deadpool spinoff book all got their own spinoff books to begin with. I'd see the merit in trying a 5 issues series of one-shots for each one, but to give three of them ongoings is baffling to me.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    This is unsurprising. Lack of pre-orders will do that.

Can't believe three characters from a Deadpool spinoff book all got their own spinoff books to begin with. I'd see the merit in trying a 5 issues series of one-shots for each one, but to give three of them ongoings is baffling to me.
    I wouldn't be surprised if these were always meant to be stealth-minis. Minis and one-shots just don't muster many sales, so it's in Marvel's interest to market them as ongoings and then cancel them after the first arc if sales aren't there to support the book.

Many shop's pre-orders relay on the customer demand, pull list and such. Pre-Orders are a good indicator for interest in a book.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    As you said, Mosaic is a totally new character. He's not obscure(yet) cause he barely exists. Giving solos to new characters is the best way to see if they have an audience and to actually try to make them relevant.
    I don't think Mosaic needs to find an audience. It feels like a 100% IP play to create something usable for film or TV. Same for Slapstick.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I don't think Mosaic needs to find an audience. It feels like a 100% IP play to create something usable for film or TV. Same for Slapstick.
    I don't see it. The Inhumans movie, if it even happens will be obviously about the Royal Family. We have Agents of SHIELD who may be on it's last season and it's cast is not even mostly comic book characters and they're not even focusing on Inhumans anymore. They're not gonna do a TV show or movie or anything about a failure of a character that was created only some years ago(talking in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if these were always meant to be stealth-minis. Minis and one-shots just don't muster many sales, so it's in Marvel's interest to market them as ongoings and then cancel them after the first arc if sales aren't there to support the book.
    I dunno, they've marketing Unworthy Thor as a mini no problem. I'm under the impression Marvel thought they could potentially get more than 5 issues out of these books and are being proven very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't see it. The Inhumans movie, if it even happens will be obviously about the Royal Family. We have Agents of SHIELD who may be on it's last season and it's cast is not even mostly comic book characters and they're not even focusing on Inhumans anymore. They're not gonna do a TV show or movie or anything about a failure of a character that was created only some years ago(talking in the future).
    They just added Robbie Reyes to AoS though. Granted, they're largely banking off the reputation of Ghost Rider in general, but I don't think it's out of the question to see new characters like Mosaic or characters like Solo or Foolkiller pop up on that show.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zolalnadia View Post
    It's out next week.