Thread: Thor's mother

BANNED

Default Thor's mother

Why are the current Thor comics ignoring the fact that Thor's biological mother is actually Gaea, AKA Jord? This was established way back in THOR #300, but the new stories act as though Freyja is his biological mother, when she actually only raised him.

iMan 42s

With this being the case it's possible that it's just the writer not knowing any better. Writers screw up all the time though I'd say this is explainable provided there was no definitive showing of parentage to Thor. If Thor just refers to either as mother he wouldn't technically be wrong.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Or just not mentionning it does not alter a run that has never needed that info dump ?

Amazing Member

They are not ingnoring it . It is just not worth mentioning. As far as Thor thinks and acts Frigga is the mom that counts. Jord only birthed him and has never raised him to my knowledge so why mention it at all ? It is there in the Thor bios on the wiki pages but really it has no revelance to the current story. Just my two cents

people call non-bio parents "mom" all the time, especially when they raised them from birth and the bio mom ain't do shit but pass genes.

T'challa calls Ramonda mom and treats her as such despite his mom dying at birth.

happens all the time in fiction and real life
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Thor does refer to Gaea as mother as well. Actually when Freyja, Gaea, and Idunn were ruling Asgard as the all mother he referred to all three as mother.

Gaea is the goddess of Earth and usually is not that involved in Asgard (which is in space). She was involved when Asgard was on Earth.

From time to time we see Thor call out to his mother (Gaea) and we've seen her help him.

I'm just wondering if there is a Goddess of Norse connected to the Moon, like, the Virgin Mary is connected to the moon?

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Gaea must have so many children and descendents that it's no surprise that she has had no real parental connection with Thor over the years. Probably has lost count of how many she had during her long existence.

Now Loki on the other hand, why do so many writers over the years refer to him as being Thor's half brother when they have completely different mothers and fathers? They are adopted brothers not half brothers.

This was specifically addressed during Thor God of Thunder, where he refers to "The Mother who raised me," to suggest Aaron is not familiar with Thor's mother is just laughable. He does his best to address all of these issues one by one and even has shout-outs to the major Thor contributors over the years with incidental character names, place names, etc. He obliquely references multiple obscure plot lines and little bits of continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Now Loki on the other hand, why do so many writers over the years refer to him as being Thor's half brother when they have completely different mothers and fathers? They are adopted brothers not half brothers.
    That's a more valid question but I wouldn't over think it because they share a father through adoption. Indeed for much of Thor's early life I don't believe he even knew who his real mother was, so he kind of shared both parents through adoption.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-08-2016 at 08:43 AM.