Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How should Thor talk?

As you know, there are at least two basic ways for Thor and the other Asgardians to talk, and I was wondering which way people prefer.

One of them is the way they talked in the early comics, which is: slightly formal, but still like normal modern speech. This is also the way they talk in the movies, and most of Walt Simonson's run, and the way they usually talk today (though today they use a special Asgardian font).

Thors.jpg

The other is the "Thor-speak" Stan Lee developed as the original run went on. This is a hodgepodge of Shakespeare, the Bible, and whatever else Stan could think of, with lots of "thee" and "thou" and "thine." This is the way Thor spoke in the '70s, and most of the Tom DeFalco run, and again in the late '90s/early '00s under Busiek and Jurgens.

JLA-Avengers Thor.jpg

So which version do you like better? Personally I prefer full-fledged "Thor-speak," even though it's silly (because it's silly). It helps create that fun mix of silliness and seriousness that defines Thor. I do think they could never have made it work in the movies, though, and most of the most popular runs after Lee/Kirby have used more normal language.

I like Thor-speak, but I can see why the former way is more widespread in its use, even if it's not as fun to listen or read to .

i like Hemsworth's voice for the character. I was unable to relate to him previously.

BANNED

For the comics:

IMG_1074.jpg

Might sound hokey in the movies, though.

Thor speaking "normal"? I SAY THEE NAY!
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Thor speaking "normal"? I SAY THEE NAY!
    but isn't it kind of like having a Mexican character exclaim "ay caramba" every time they get excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    For the comics:

IMG_1074.jpg

Might sound hokey in the movies, though.
    I was soooo disappointed that he never said that in Age of Ultron .

Nah, that would be somewhat racist.

Asgardians just talk like that. It isn't likeanother huge City in another Country it is a magical kinda Medieval Space City. They can have their quirks. They probably think Earthlings talk funny.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

lIKE A BOSSS

The Stan Lee speak!

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

The Thor-Speak always takes me out of the reading. It feels so out of character as the character himself just stepped out of the early 600 AD/CE time period. I figure if if they are around for thousands of years and interact with Midgard, their speak would alter over time as well. Plus as Thor has been interacting with humans for so long, his speech patter would flourish too. So the slightly formal/normal speak is what I like and what I prefer.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've always liked Thor-speak; it gives him a more distinct character.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I've always liked Thor-speak; it gives him a more distinct character.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    This.

I'm all for something that screams "not from around here..."

Thor-speak for me as well, so long as it doesnt go overboard.

You wanna throw out the occasional "I say thee nay!" and Im more than fine with it. "Thou" and "Thine" work just fine.

But when I have to start dissecting sentences like Im reading a bad version of Beowulf its gone too far.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No to "thor-speak" to me. It's just sloppy and doesn't make sense that his language would be tied to so many old dialects when the as-guardians still actively interact with other beings.

I would be willing to see it blended, however: take the latest mighty Thor run with the History of Mjolnir: I would have been fine if the story tellers used the more natural speak but the characters in the story being told used "Thor-Speak". That would have been fine and arguably fun.