Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

I read the For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy adaptations by Marvel over the last couple of nights. For Your Eyes Only was my favourite, and was actually surprisingly well adapted. They chose the right bits, although unfortunately there was no crushing of the dice in Ocotpussy :P The only criticism is that one additional page for the Citreon 2CV chase would have been good as it is an iconic moment in For Your Eyes Only. Also, the Octopussy issue is huge, too big for comic bags, but too flimsy to go on my shelf. Also, I really want to custom bind all of the film adaptations, which will now be tricky...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

I'm usually a bit hesitant to pick up comic book adaptions of movies since I usually find them to be underwhelming, so I'm glad to hear those turned out pretty good. I was never really a fan of the Octopussy movie so I'll probably skip that one, but I may have to give the adaption of For Your Eyes Only a go if I can find it at my comic shop.

Also, I bought and re-watched Goldfinger the other day. Still one of my favorite Bond movies and Oddjob remains one of my favorite Bond villains.

I totally agree about Goldfinger - cracking title song too. I love the final fight with Oddjob
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

James Bond: M (Preview)

https://www.cbr.com/james-bond-m/

James Bond: The Body #2 (Preview)
    https://www.cbr.com/james-bond-the-body-2/

Great week!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I'm really interested in M. I don't know Shelvay, I think that he must have joined ASB after I dropped it.

I just read Shattered Helix, this one was pretty good after the awful Serpent's Tooth that I read ages ago. The plot is pretty good, if a bit too fantastical - a criminal group tries to get hold of a mutagen in Antarctica and Bond has to stop them, obviously. Initially Bond seemed more like a marine than a spy, which was a bit weird, but he was more of a spy once things kicked off. The art was pretty mediocre, but not terrible. All in all, I would suggest reading it. I paid just less than £10 for the two issues - it's up to you whether that is worth it, but keep in mind that I bought it for collection reasons as well as to read.

Incredible Member

I really need to check out some of the Dark Horse comics that have been released, like Shattered Helix. I need to check to see if my comic shop has any of them in their back issues section next time I go. Glad to hear it was a lot better than Serpent's Tooth this time. Do you know who the writer of Shattered Helix was? Also, are the Dark Horse comics suppose to be connected to the Fleming books as well or are they just their own thing?

There are 6 DH comics I think, although Silent Armageddon was never competed - probably not bad thing as apparently there was some controversy about some virtual reality 'ageing' of a girl to be Bond's new love interest or something along those lines - God knows. The newspaper comic strips are very much in line with the books, in fact they began before the films. The DH comics, I'm not really too sure. I feel like they might be their own universe to be honest, especially given how bizarre they are :P Tatiana Romanova is in one of the DH comics, Light of my Death, but not sure if it is the book or film variant. Shattered Helix is Simon Jowett, who also does Silent Armageddon.

Incredible Member

Wow, that Silent Armageddon arc sounds terrible on several different levels. From what I remember, Romanova is fairly similar in the movie to how she is in the book, so I doubt it makes much difference what version the writer followed. It sounds like all of those comics were based in a loose Bond canon already. I dont think I've read anything by Simon Jowett before, but I might have to check out Shattered Helix if I come across it.

So, A Silent Armageddon was actually not as bad as I expected. A bit cheesy perhaps, but then Bond always has a tinge of Brie to it. The plot is interesting enough (cyber related), but given that it was never completed, I wouldn't rush to buy it. If it was a complete story, then I would more readily recommend it. The art is crap though - like, really crap.

I just finished Mike Grells's 'Permission to Die', one of Eclipse's two JB entries, the other being a License to Kill adaptation. Holy crap it was good. With the exception of Felix Leiter, it is better than the Dynamite output. It's a three part series, each maybe two standard issues long, with Grell writing and doing the art. Essentially, Bond gets sent into Hungary to extract a scientist's niece in exchange for a new rocket propulsion system. There are a few strange art panels and a handful of typos, but other than that it's fantastic. It nods to the books and films quite a lot, which was really nice, including a fairly substantial role for the Gypsies from 'From Russia with Love', including a post-humous role for Kerim Bey. The only aspect that I didn't like of that they completely copied the feast scene, including the rescuing shot from Grant. It felt like they took the nod too far. Still, definitely pick this up if you can - loads of Ebay lots for all three issues together.

Incredible Member

"Permission to Die" sounds awesome! I'm definitely adding it to my list of Bond comics/books to pick up. I didn't know that Eclipse had published JB comics at one point.

In regards to Silent Armageddon, the cyber plot to me seems like something straight out of a Bronsan era Bond film (while I really like Bronsan as Bond, I'm not a huge fan of his films besides GoldenEye which is easily one of my favorite Bond films). Who was the artist on Silent Armageddon?

The artist is John Burns - I've never seen his other work to be honest :P

I just read Light of my Death, which is published in the 'Dark Horse Comics' series, which has bits of each story in different issues - it's weird. Anyway, Light of my Death was so incredibly awful that I'm struggling to describe it to you. Don't buy it. If somebody offers it to you for free, thank them kindly but send them on their way. So awful.

Incredible Member

Haha I won't lie, after reading your thoughts on Light of my Death I kind of want to read it just to see how terrible this thing is to get that reaction from you.

And yeah, I don't think I've read anything that John Burns was the artist of before either.