Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

I figured that you might agree with me about 'M'... That was my main issue with Service, they totally could've expanded that and made it even better. In fact, when I asked them about it at GCC, they agreed that more than a one-shot would've been nice.

Hey Havok, welcome to the thread! The book Bond is definitely more raw, less of the flashiness of the films, although there is still some of course. The Dynamite comics are roughly set in the timeline of the books. I would say the Dynamite Bond is a Craig/Brosnan kind of character, although the older comics (some of which are awesome and some are crap, I review or at least talk about some of them here) are more Connery-ish. To date, from Dynamite we have:

The main series; VARGR, Eidolon, Black Box.
    Stand alone series'; Hammerhead, Kill Chain, The Body.
    Spin off series'; Felix Leiter (the best so far, although The Body has the potential to overtake it) - I suspect that either Felix will get another arc, or Tiger Tanaka will get a chance.
    One-shots; Service, Solstice, M, Moneypenny.

The Titan comics are also worth a shot - they are comic strip adaptations of the novels (and some original stories too) from British newspapers in the 60's onwards. Titan are currently collecting them (they have a few collected vesions) in big hardcovers, they are quite nice. Let me know if you have any others questions or are interested in older comics etc.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Ok Ladies and Gents, top 5 Bond tracks. It doesn't have to be the title song, just a piece of music from the series.

1. James Bond Theme
    2. You Know my Name
    3. Thunderball
    4. Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

Hey Havok, welcome to the thread! The book Bond is definitely more raw, less of the flashiness of the films, although there is still some of course. The Dynamite comics are roughly set in the timeline of the books. I would say the Dynamite Bond is a Craig/Brosnan kind of character, although the older comics (some of which are awesome and some are crap, I review or at least talk about some of them here) are more Connery-ish. To date, from Dynamite we have:

The main series; VARGR, Eidolon, Black Box.
    Stand alone series'; Hammerhead, Kill Chain, The Body.
    Spin off series'; Felix Leiter (the best so far, although The Body has the potential to overtake it) - I suspect that either Felix will get another arc, or Tiger Tanaka will get a chance.
    One-shots; Service, Solstice, M, Moneypenny.
    Hi Enigma, thanks for the warm welcome.

Yeah I'm interested in the current comics, not so much the collected stuff from decades ago.

Warren Ellis is one of my all time favorite writers and I figure he'd spin a great Bond yarn, so I ordered the VARGR tpb, I'll take it from there.

I do have concerns about Dynamite having the license tho, I was very dissapointed with some of their output a few years back with other classic characters, from printing mistakes such as wrong word balloons for a couple of pages (Warlord of Mars and Flash Gordon) to really rushing an ending to otherwise good to great maxi series (Magnus Robot Fighter).

Thats what I get for pulling their single issues back then, afterwards they fixed the printing errors on the tpb so that's all I'm ever buying from them moving forward.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the quality of the main series so far? I'd appreciate it

Of course! I will try to write something more substantial at some point, but there are video reviews of the series on page 18 (part 1) and 19 (parts 2 and 3)

Incredible Member

Hey Havok! Hope you enjoy VARGR. I loved it.

For me VARGR, Eidolon, Felix Leiter, and the Body fall into that category of more raw Bond stories and fit more the tone of the Fleming novels and the Craig/Dalton films. I have loved the first three and have thought the first two issues of the Body have been fantastic. Additionally, VARGR and Eidolon were written by Ellis and The Body is being written by Kot.

Black Box, Kill Chain and Hammerhead I feel fall more into the category of action movie Bond if that makes sense, though Hammerhead has some brutal kills in it. I think those issues have been more hit or miss. Hammerhead and Kill Chain were written by Andy Diggle. I'm blanking on who wrote Black Box.

I havent had any real problems with Dynamite publishing the issues (at least nothing that stood out to me). I do wish that we had one main Bond series with rotating authors instead of mainly getting a bunch of mini series released at various points, but that's more personal preference for me than something I feel Dynamite is really failing at. The Bond books are the only thing I'm currently getting from Dynamite so I can only speak to them but overall I've been happy with them publishing of the Bond series.
    Last edited by Jack Parker; 04-08-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Ok Ladies and Gents, top 5 Bond tracks. It doesn't have to be the title song, just a piece of music from the series.

1. James Bond Theme
    2. You Know my Name
    3. Thunderball
    4. Goldfinger
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    In no particular order of favorites, my top five would be:

1.Classic James Bond theme
    2. Goldfinger theme
    3. Live and Let Die theme
    4. You Know My Name
    5. Skyfall theme

Black Box was Benjamin Percy, and I think Lobosco was the artist.

Incredible Member

Thanks Enigma! I think my mind is trying to remove all memories of Black Box due to how disappointed I was with it. I also noticed I failed to mention that Felix Leiter was written by James Robinson.

Black Box really was a disappointment Thankfully it is outweighed by the likes of Felix!

Black Box was Benjamin Percy, and I think Lobosco was the artist.

Percy is overrated.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Incredible Member

I believe the only thing I've read by Percy is Black Box, so I can't really comment on the overall quality of his work. That said, after a solid first issue I feel Black Box just kept dropping in quality each month.

I'm not sure that I've read anything else from him either to be honest. If I remember correctly, I liked the art, but it was a while ago :P

I just read The Body #3 - not a fan. I think that it is overkill. I don't believe that Bond acted that way, at all, it just isn't believable to me. It was execution. I like the idea of showing how easily Bond can cross the line, but I think they just overdid it to be honest. I will give it another read to see if I change my mind, but yes, it just didn't sit right with me. Looking forward to #4 though and I suspect that this series will slip in at #2 behind Felix

Incredible Member

I haven't had the chance to read The Body #3 yet (my semester just ended this past week). I'm sad to hear it didn't live up to expectations. If I get time I'll check it out later this week.

I know how you feel, my thesis is due on Wednesday :P