Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Currently on a reread of the Dynamite books, and enjoying it as always. No matter how many times I read it, the VARGR intro just gets me every time. Love it.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

I'm too lazy to read a 52 page thread but did notice that page 1 started by raving about Ellis' Bond, which I loved also.

Since Ellis, how highly regarded around here are the other runs?

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I'm too lazy to read a 52 page thread but did notice that page 1 started by raving about Ellis' Bond, which I loved also.

Since Ellis, how highly regarded around here are the other runs?
    They are all at least 'good'. Some are certainly much, much better. I think we pretty much all loved the Felix book, and I think maybe Black Box was the least well received. I would read it all.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    They are all at least 'good'. Some are certainly much, much better. I think we pretty much all loved the Felix book, and I think maybe Black Box was the least well received. I would read it all.
    Appreciate the input. I'll take a look for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Appreciate the input. I'll take a look for sure.
    Could also be worth checking out the Titan collections of the UK comic strips.

Reached Kill Chain in my reread. Definitely the weakest entry so far, a surprising as I enjoyed Hammerhead (same creator team). The Swiss army knife joke was too manufactured. Bond's torture escape didn't make sense, he isn't Hulk. The ending was anti climactic, it was actually quite easy to forget what it was all about most of the time. Still, the art was great

This I said it earlier that Diggle's work is a bit too similar to the movies. Haven't read them in a while but I remember KILL CHAIN has several plot points from THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS while HAMMERHEAD is pretty much THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH with a railgun.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    This I said it earlier that Diggle's work is a bit too similar to the movies. Haven't read them in a while but I remember KILL CHAIN has several plot points from THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS while HAMMERHEAD is pretty much THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH with a railgun.
    I never made the connection with Hammerhead, but now that you mention it, it does

Yeah, crazy heiress who has a fling with Bond stages attacks on her own company and kills her father, manipulates a sort of black market 'middle man' who eventually helps Bond, and even captures M.

Been reading the ORIGIN series. It's interesting in that it takes a World War II setting, as presumably the Bond of Fleming's novels would've definitely served in the war (As Fleming did himself). Also very Flemingesque in that while there's sex, violence and some over-the-top villains Bond isn't exactly the more humorous character we often get from the movies and most of the gadgets are fairly practical and reality-based. Also there's a few issues on Bond's naval service as well.

It will be interesting to see how the events of NTTD affect the Dynamite series going forward. It seems to be affecting some of the novels.

Haven't they already done a few spinoffs for Bond characters like Felix and (obviously based on the Harris version) Moneypenny? Seems like the "good" Oddjob, John Lee, might be an interesting choice.