Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Haha I'll be so glad when I'm done with grad school. Best of luck with the thesis.

Incredible Member

I finally read The Body #3 and #4. I didn't feel Bond's actions were that out of character. I feel that several of the novels and films have presented Bond as an executioner and some have shown Bond to have a sadistic side to his personality. Quantum of Solace had Bond killing numerous people against M's orders due to his grief over Vesper's death and in the Spy Who Loved Me he tried feeding Jaws to a shark. I feel we generally see this side of Bond come out when he finds a particular individual/group despicable as I felt this issue was trying to convey. That said, that last page felt like something straight out of a Punisher comic to me. This was also probably my least favorite issue of the series so far. I didn't think it was bad, I just felt that it was kind of a standard story if that makes sense. The previous to issues and part 4 all had something that really hooked me into the story but I didn't really feel that with this issue. I also felt the connection to the theme of the body was more flimsy in this issue and almost felt thrown in at the end there.

As mentioned, I really enjoyed #4. I liked seeing Bond essentially in survival mode throughout most of the issue. Bond's preparation for the assassin in the issue kind of reminded me of the ending of Skyfall when they were preparing for the attack. I felt the end of the issue was anti-climatic but fit well with the theme of the issue of whether Bond is actually in control or if it was just the illusion of control. The issue also briefly touches on Bond's actions in #3. The only real con I had with the issue is I felt the art by Marron was off at points, particuarly in regards to some of the faces drawn. I am really excited for #5 to be released next month.

Ah, no #4 for me yet #5 sounds interesting though as it sounds like things will come together for the last couple of issues. Also, it's a nice cover
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Yeah, #4 began the process of tying things together as it links back directly with issue #3. I am really curious to see where all of this is going. And yeah, the cover for #5 is probably my favorite cover out of all of the issues of The Body.

I feel like this is one of those series that isn't going to be a favourite, but which I will expect all future series to match. A sort of benchmark. That is, assuming that the last two issues are not both spectacular or both embarrassing
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

I agree. Unless the last two issues completely go off a cliff, this is probably going to be up there with the Felix miniseries and both Warren Ellis series.

I just read The Body #4 - holy crap that was anti-climactic. I actually liked the art, but I agree that it doesn't suit Bond, but I would like to see some of his work on other books. I really didn't like the ending here, it was just so dull. I actually thought that it was really predictable and that Moira would be the assassin, so I should at least give them credit for that... However, just a boring ending. I get the control part, but you still have to make it entertaining.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I really thought that they were going to go with Moira was the assassin the whole time thing, so I was really glad they didn't go that route with it. I'm still really torn on the ending of the issue, so I was curious what you would think of it. I agree that it is super anti-climatic. It feels like Kot suddenly realized towards the end that he was running out of pages and just wrapped it all up quickly. I do still feel, though, that it built well on the theme of Bond not really being in control of the situation regardless of how much he tried. I think I would have liked the ending a lot more if we actually got to see Moira kill the assassin and Bond was too hurt to help or was still sleeping instead of just having Moira tell Bond and us that she killed the assassin during the night. That way you still get across the idea of Bond not really being in control but get an actual ending to the story instead of it just suddenly ending.

I agree. The ending fit well with the theme, but it was played all wrong. It was so sudden. I literally read and it was like 'Hang on, what the hell just happened? Have I missed a scene?' :P I love the concept of this series so much though.

I've mentioned before that I collect the Titan reprints of the James Bond comic strips from British newspapers. I am collecting them in the fourth (and ongoing) collection, great big hardcover editions. However, the third edition of reprints (paperback omnibus') are currently on sale on Forbidden Planet, £2.99 each, there are 6 altogether. So, if you're interested in collecting that specific format, knock yourself out :P

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Of course! I will try to write something more substantial at some point, but there are video reviews of the series on page 18 (part 1) and 19 (parts 2 and 3)
    That was quite helpful, well done mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Parker View Post
    Hey Havok! Hope you enjoy VARGR. I loved it.

For me VARGR, Eidolon, Felix Leiter, and the Body fall into that category of more raw Bond stories and fit more the tone of the Fleming novels and the Craig/Dalton films. I have loved the first three and have thought the first two issues of the Body have been fantastic. Additionally, VARGR and Eidolon were written by Ellis and The Body is being written by Kot.

Black Box, Kill Chain and Hammerhead I feel fall more into the category of action movie Bond if that makes sense, though Hammerhead has some brutal kills in it. I think those issues have been more hit or miss. Hammerhead and Kill Chain were written by Andy Diggle. I'm blanking on who wrote Black Box.

I havent had any real problems with Dynamite publishing the issues (at least nothing that stood out to me). I do wish that we had one main Bond series with rotating authors instead of mainly getting a bunch of mini series released at various points, but that's more personal preference for me than something I feel Dynamite is really failing at. The Bond books are the only thing I'm currently getting from Dynamite so I can only speak to them but overall I've been happy with them publishing of the Bond series.
    Hi Jack,

Good to hear you are enjoying the books, seems like VARGR, Eidolon and the rest you mention are the ones I'll enjoy. Hope my copy of VARGR gets delivered soon.

You are very welcome my friend. There are some really, really nice covers in the HC editions too. I think I cover it in the video, but they all (bar a couple of exceptions) have a cover gallery at the end

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I've mentioned before that I collect the Titan reprints of the James Bond comic strips from British newspapers. I am collecting them in the fourth (and ongoing) collection, great big hardcover editions. However, the third edition of reprints (paperback omnibus') are currently on sale on Forbidden Planet, £2.99 each, there are 6 altogether. So, if you're interested in collecting that specific format, knock yourself out :P
    Oh, that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up about them. I'll have to check them out

I've been curious Jack - do you read things other than James Bond? I've never seen you elsewhere on the forum

Also, I've had to stop buying single issues, so I will be even further behind on James Bond from here on