Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Ye, I've never even bothered watching it to be honest... Personally, I don't like the idea of Bond being a codename - it removes the 'character' from him.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Yeah, I would suggest never watch it. There have to be better things one can do with their time. And I agree that I don't like Bond being a codename but for a spoof I would be fine with them playing with the idea. They just never do anything interesting or really funny with it. The whole movie is just unbearably boring.

I don't think that spoofs would work, partly because Bond is already very stereotyped, if you see what I mean?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Yeah, I get what you mean. Personally, I feel like there can be good spoofs/parodies of Bond. The show Archer, while parodying the spy genre in general, parodies aspects of Bond particular the main character and I love that show. Also, while I've never been a huge fan of them, several people like the Austin Powers movies which are mainly spoofs of the Bond franchise and they have been pretty successful. I think it all depends on how the individuals are spoofing the franchise.

Hmmm, maybe you're right there actually. Also, it's basically you and I in here again :P

Incredible Member

Haha yeah. Maybe once the Dynamite starts releasing Bond comics on a regular schedule again and things start gearing up for Bond 25 (assuming they find someone to replace Boyle) things will pick up here a bit.

All-New Member

Hey. I'm a noob, but I'm still around.
    And I just read the first issue of James Bond Origin.
    Pretty well written and pretty well drawn, but utterly superfluous.
    It isn't Bond. It's a boy's own adventure full of prep school cliches in which dashing young student Bond flouts the stodgy professors, thrashes the mean bullies, stumbles on a Nazi plot, and is going to be late to a school field trip.
    Hey, I'll keep reading, because I love James Bond stories, but absolutely none of things that made the character so well known and appreciated can be found in these pages.

Damn, that's disappointing. No idea when I will read it. What did you think Jack?

Emerald - have you read the other Dynamite Bond? There are some real gems in there

Incredible Member

Sadly I haven't had the chance to go out and get the issue yet. My internship has been running my life the last couple of weeks. Hopefully sometime later this week I can go grab it. That is disappointing to hear though Emerald. That said, if over the course of Origins we see Bond grow into the man we all normally know him as, I think it could work. I think a large portion of this will depend on how its executed. I'll be sure to give some more well informed thoughts once I'm able to pick up the issue.

I know that feeling... We have so many corporate things too. We had an away-day in London last week (The Oval is crap) and tomorrow we have a face-to-face day because we are split over London and Cambridge institutes. Even when I'm not at work, I'm at work :P

I visited Bletchley Park at the weekend, which is where the British (and some other nationalities too) codebreakers were stationed during WWII. They have a hut dedicated to James Bond, including some stunning original artwork. They also had display cases full of Bond books Pictures provided!

Edit: Bloody image limit...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Member

That's awesome man! I didnt know they had an area dedicated to Bond in Bletchley Park. That sounds like a great place to visit. Thanks for the pictures!

No worries! I don't know if it's permanent or not to be honest, and it's just one hut. Bletchley Park is worth a visit itself though - I was there for four hours and had to skim some stuff! And your entry is actually an annual pass by default, so if you happen to visit the UK twice :P

Incredible Member

That's awesome! I need to make it over to the UK at some point and check it out. I've only had the chance to travel around North America.

Also, Cary Joji Fukunaga will know be the director of Bond 25. I haven't seen much of his work, but he was the director of the first season of True Detective, which I loved. He also helped write the screenplay for the recent IT which I also really liked, so so far I'm liking him as the director for this. They also pushed back the released date to February 14th, 2020. I'm glad they didnt just rush things so they could make their November deadline and that it's only a four month delay. Filming for it will begin in March.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ntl/index.html