Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thunderball seems to get a lot flak these days, I think in comparison to Goldfinger, but it's really the first really big budget Bond movie, and has a sense of scale that many of the films would later adopt. I'm not sure if it's also because of it's complicated legal history as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

I think what probably hinders Thunderball a bit compared to the earlier Connery films is that while its a good movie, it seems to be a bit of a standard Bond story. Largo is a solid main villain, but I don't think he stands out as much as villains in the earlier movies, such as Dr. No, Red Grant, and Goldfinger/Oddjob. It isn't helped that Blofeld isn't really in the film that much. I also think Connery is still really good in the role (the only Connery Bond films I dislike is Diamonds are Forever and Never Say Never Again), but he isn't really doing anything that different than he did in his earlier films. So while I think its a pretty enjoyable film, these may be some of the reasons it doesn't stand out as much compared to something like Goldfinger beyond the complicated legal history.

I think You Only Live Twice is the weaker film especially because of Connery's performance, you can kind of tell he wasn't having much fun (Part of the reason is that he was really hounded by paparazzi on this one). I think it sort of gets a pass a great deal because it introduced Blofeld's main 'look' and the most popular version of the character (one that inspired Dr. Evil).

Both Thunderball and YOLT seemed to heavily influence later films, in which the macguffin was usually stolen British or Russian tech (or both).

Incredible Member

I feel similar about Diamonds are Forever. From my understanding, Connery only came back to the role in order to get two other projects produced by the studio and I feel that is reflected in the film as Connery doesn't seem to have the same energy as he had in his earlier Bond films had. Plus I feel like there isn't anything remarkable about the film beyond it being the last "official" Bond film that Connery did. I do agree, though, that Thunderball and YOLT both helped to heavily influence future films, both Bond films and the parody films like Austin Powers.

I think Connery gave a better performance, but DAF is his most dated film for many reasons. He looks kind of out of shape in it as well (He's in considerably better shape twelve years later in NSNA). I think this was when they were kind of scalling back the budgets/theatrical look of the series for a bit, and going for more comedy, something that also affected Moore's early outings before Spy Who Loved Me decided to make a large scale Bond movie again.

I think Guy Hamilton's style worked for Goldfinger but it was kind of "meh" for the 70s Bonds he did, although LIVE AND LET DIE does have it's moments.

YOLT is one of my favourite Bond films, but I agree that DaF is a weak entry.

Also, a couple of new additions to my JB shelves.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Those are awesome additions to the collection, particularly the Lotus Esprit from Spy Who Loved Me!

Also, Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Parker View Post
    Those are awesome additions to the collection, particularly the Lotus Esprit from Spy Who Loved Me!

Also, Happy New Year!!
    Haha, happy new year!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

I started off the New Year right by catching up to issue #6 of the James Bond 007 series. I enjoyed the series at the start but I have slowly started losing interest as the series progressed. I feel like it started to get repetitive after awhile with most of the issues involving Bond and Oddjob chasing after Aria Kim and clashing with each other. I do enjoy this modern version of Oddjob though and enjoy the interactions between him and Bond. I am hoping that since most of the major pieces of the story seem to be in place by the end of issue #6 and Goldfinger being introduced, the series will start to pick up more in the back half and feel a bit less repetitive. I'm also wondering if that plot point about the more traditional version of Oddjob that was brought up in issue #2 will be touched on again. I was hesitant about them switching artists every few issues during this series but I have been loving the art so far. If nothing else, it is a gorgeous book to look at and the action scenes are spectacular. Since I'm trade reading more now, I'll pick up the story again in a few months when the next volume is released. I am curious how Pak wraps up this arc.
    Last edited by Jack Parker; 01-06-2020 at 09:29 PM.

I started off the New Year right by catching up to issue #6 of the James Bond 007 series. I enjoyed the series at the start but I have slowly started losing interest as the series progressed. I feel like it started to get repetitive after awhile with most of the issues involving Bond and Oddjob chasing after Aria Kim and clashing with each other. I do enjoy this modern version of Oddjob though and enjoy the interactions between him and Bond. I am hoping that since most of the major pieces of the story seem to be in place by the end of issue #6 and Goldfinger being introduced, the series will start to pick up more in the back half and feel a bit less repetitive. I'm also wondering if that plot point about the more traditional version of Oddjob that was brought up in issue #2 will be touched on again. I was hesitant about them switching artists every few issues during this series but I have been loving the art so far. If nothing else, it is a gorgeous book to look at and the action scenes are spectacular. Since I'm trade reading more now, I'll pick up the story again in a few months when the next volume is released. I am curious how Pak wraps up this arc.
    I know what you mean, but I think that I didn't mind because that was the idea, they keep clashing so one of them has to go. Dun dun dun, drama! I think it helps that I read almost exclusively in collected editions now and I feel like these 6 issue arcs really benefit from that one sit reading

Incredible Member

Haha yeah, it probably would have read better all in one sitting. I feel like their are little bits of progress each issue, but not enough to keep me invested. It reminds me of this twelve issue Spider-man story arc from the 90s called Maximum Carnage. There were fights ever issue between Spider-man and the villains, but the plot didn't seem to progress much each issue which made it feel like it just kind of dragged on after awhile. I'm wondering if this whole Oddjob/Goldfinger story would read better to me if it was all condensed down into six issues like the other series have been. That said, its probably too early to make that call since neither of us has read the second half yet. Since I'll be getting the trade, maybe the second half will follow a bit better for me.
    Last edited by Jack Parker; 01-07-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Haha yeah, it probably would have read better all in one sitting. I feel like their are little bits of progress each issue, but not enough to keep me invested. It reminds me of this twelve issue Spider-man story arc from the 90s called Maximum Carnage. There were fights ever issue between Spider-man and the villains, but the plot didn't seem to progress much each issue which made it feel like it just kind of dragged on after awhile. I'm wondering if this whole Oddjob/Goldfinger story would read better to me if it was all condensed down into six issues like the other series have been. That said, its probably too early to make that call since neither of us has read the second half yet. Since I'll be getting the trade, maybe the second half will follow a bit better for me.
    Absolutely. I think this first arc is really setting things up for Goldfinger coming in anyway. I suspect that the real teeth of the story begins in #7.

Hans Zimmer is taking over as composer for No Time to Die. Some delicious icing on the cake right there!

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9274821.html

Incredible Member

While I would typically be hesitant about a composer coming in this late in the game, I've basically loved all of Zimmer's work so I trust this is in good hands. My excitement for this movie has just gone up a level with him on board.

Incredible Member

Following up with the Hans Zimmer announcement, it has been announced that Billie Eilish will be composing the main theme song for No Time to Die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...e-duran-duran/