Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I definitely liked it! I couldn't tell exactly what Bond was being hit by though, it didn't seem like it was the rope like in the film adaptation, but I wasn't really sure :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

I believe it was a rope in the novel as well, though I saw the movie before I read the book so my interpretation of the passage could have been influenced by that

Incredible Member

Got to read Black Box#3 today. I'm enjoying the series, though there were some weird word balloon placements towards the end of the issue. I'm assuming some kind of error occurred. I know I've seen Tomorrow Never Dies, but I can't recall the scene you mentioned...or much about that movie in general. Guess it goes to show my feelings about it. While I wasn't a huge fan of James Bond: Hammerhead, I am curious to see what Diggle will be doing in Kill Chain.

It is when Bond attends Carver's conference, and the goons arrive to tell him he has a 'phone call'. Also, on a side note, the opening scene in Tomorrow Never Dies is one of my favourite. I spent many a day acting that scene out in my bedroom as a kid haha
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Incredible Member

Haha I was that way with Goldeneye. It was the first Bond film I ever saw and it made me a lifelong Bond fan.

Oh God yes, I did it with Goldeneye too! When we moved house we had boxes piled to the ceiling, so I was able to (not quite safely) do the whole jump

RIP Sir Roger Moore while Connery is my favorite you were my first Bond.

Indeed, it caught me off guard too. Legend.

Incredible Member

Damn I was sad to see this. RIP Sir Roger Moore.

A few things to bring up today;

a) Felix. Holy crap, that was the best issue in the James Bond franchise yet, in my opinion. I loved every page. There were also a couple of really poignant moments for Felix, beating the guy with the moon behind him and being cast into the ocean. I just loved it. I really, truly hope that we get more Felix.

b) Moneypenny! Moneypenny is getting some attention in August, awesome stuff. Unfortunately it is a one-off issue. Which brings us too...

c) Service. I was so, so looking forward to this, how disappointing. I wasn't big on the art, it was good enough, but not awesome. I liked the concept but that one issue was just too short and I felt like I never got a chance to get into it. I feel like I've basically bought issue #3 of an arc that will never be completed. Not great. However, I did like the intended plot and I would absolutely love Kieron Gillen (fast becoming one of my favourite writers) pen a complete James Bond story arc.

Incredible Member

I had a James Bond reading fest today:

1. Service: I liked the theme of what is Britain's place in the world now and what it represents. Reminded me of similar themes Fleming explored in his novels. That said, I agree that the story felt really rushed and by the end I found myself not really caring that much about the actual story itself.

2. Felix: I've been enjoying the hell out of this series and this issue was no exception. I loved the opening few pages of Felix and Tiger going through the compound taking down guards. I'm going to be a bit sad if this month marks the last issue of the series.

3. Black Box: I think this issue killed a lot of the remaining interest I had in the series. I felt it was a bit ridiculous in the beginning of the issue that Bond didn't already know what weapons he had available in the car already. I also felt that the issue was a quick read, though not much happened and felt like it was just set up for the next issue instead of being the latest chapter in a story.

4. Moneypenny: I'm pretty interesting to read this story since I don't think we have had anything before told from Moneypenny's perspective. I don't think I've read anything by Jody Houser before

I think that Black Box is the weakest arc so far, certainly.

I'm on monthly deliveries now so I may have missed an issue or two, should I be excited? I reread VARGR last night, and considering how much we have discussed recently about this Bond being quite dark, I had forgotten how awesome our introduction from Ellis is. Pretty savage haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Member

You haven't missed much so far. The only thing that have recently came out are Black Box #4 and Leiter #6 came out yesterday, which I'm hoping to read later this week.

And yeah, I think Ellis has easily been the best writer on Bond in these recent sets of James Bond comics. That was a great moment in his series.

I just finished reading Moonraker too, wow is that one different from the film, the original story from the book is better I think, but it doesn't have a huge amount of action in it. I really like that Bond from the books isn't invincible the way that the movie version is, he is human.