Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else hate Marvel's obsessing with high school Spider-Man?

Does anyone else hate how Marvel over exaggerates high school Spider-man?

Peter was only in high school for 28 issues.

I hate how it's treated as a magic golden era for the character.

All of the major Spider-Man stories happened after the character was out of high school.

So why does Marvel keep focusing on the high school era of the character?

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post

All of the major Spider-Man stories happened after the character was out of high school.

So why does Marvel keep focusing on the high school era of the character?
    Well, the Ultimate Marvel Universe had Peter Parker as a perpetual teenager, and MCU movies are going to be about Parker in high school, and while I liked spectacular, but Ultimate felt spazzed out, I have noticed a lot of younger kids liking them, and buying action figures related to those animated shows, if that works, and gets Spider-Man merchandise sold, it's good overall, and those people might like to check out the adult Spider-Man stories in return. I don't like everything Spider-Man, but if Marvel sells more Spider-Man, then all the more to them. I don't expect the movies and shows to follow 616 to the letter.

I don't hate HighSchoolSpidey, but I can't say I'm a fan of it either. College is a much better place for him. I really liked how in Sam Raimi's films he was in high school for like 45 minutes.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

It just seems like every animated series since the 21st century has repeated it. Having a college series every now and then wouldn't hurt, IMO, but I guess somebody out there must like the ultimate Spider-Man, because it has been on for however many seasons, and then Marvel animation figures hey, if they liked Ultimate, then let's repeat it. Pretty much what comics publishers can be counted on is to milk something dry.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Well it was the golden age of the character. And no I don't hate it.

Because it was in the first comics, it's something readers will be exposed to a lot. Earlier issues tend to be reprinted more, and the era tends to be referenced. Spider-Man comics have the advantage that the earlier issues were good in addition to being important. Stories published in that setting included the origin, the first encounters with Daredevil, the Hulk and the Fantastic Four; the first appearances of Chameleon, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Green Goblin, Kraven, Scorpion and the Spider Slayer. The first appearance of the Sinister Six provided much of the narrative basis for Spider-Man 2.

Some readers believe that the thing that made Spider-Man unique was that he's younger than other superheroes.

A relatively recent effort to go back to the high school well (Ultimate Spider-Man) was massively successful.

A high school age Spider-Man stands out in the MCU, so they're sticking with that setting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I hate that it seems to keep modern day Peter from advancing into being a grown man. It's why I hope RYV leads into a restoration of the marriage and results in Peter being a grown man.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Well, they keep him back a lot in the movies and the animated shows, but that is for raking in money. The good news is that more money for Spider-Man equals more resources to make more Spider-Man, so we all win that way.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 11-05-2016 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The first appearance of the Sinister Six provided much of the narrative basis for Spider-Man 2.
    I'd say that "Spider-Man No More" provided more of a narrative basis for "Spider-Man 2" then the first Sinister Six story.

I always laugh when I hear people say Peter Parker is best in High School lol
    We need better comics

It's really Ultimate Marvel's fault for the recent focus on Peter's High School life considering that it made it the focus of Peter's life throughout its run. That combined with it being Peter's start as Spider-Man caused that everyone and their grandmother wants to cover that point of his life.

Y'know, I got into Spider-Man watching the 90's show as a kid, and Peter was in college for that series

That the characters were much older then I am and dealing with more adult problems didn't stop me from getting into it, because Spider-Man was still Spider-Man.

But Marvel is so focused on the characters "youth" and the "golden days" of Lee and Ditko that they keep going back to Spidey in high school, complete with de-aging anyone he would have met in college.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

I don't like the trend, but the animated shows are a hit with the young audiences, and well, at the end of the day money runs the day for Marvel and for Spider-Man, I just choose not to watch what I don't like, and choose to be happy that Marvel makes the bucks to make what I do like, and that is that.

As for MCU? I could care less if they have teenage Peter so long as they get into characters neglected in prior movies. Sounds cool that Vulture is showing up, hope others get brought up too.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 11-05-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

High School into College is the sweet spot for Spider-Man. I'm not sure why any non-comic version would use an older Peter . . . other than a movie (or I suppose live television) series lasting long enough for the cast to age.

I loved ultimate Pete, thats how I was introduced to the character , but i hate that he's once again in high school in the movies. Its just repetitive at this point. Though at least they got a younger actor this time around. It was cringeworthy how ASM2 wanted us to buy Andrew Garfield as someone who just recently graduated high school, when he looked like he was in his late thirties.