Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Villains! Your Thoughts On Doctor Poison

Well, it's clear that Princess Maru - aka, Doctor Poison - is one of the main supervillains in the upcoming Wonder Woman movie, in 2017. Can a chemical warfare criminal be relevant enough in 2016 to make an impact, as a antagonist for the WW comic?

Does she need an upgrade? Given the new hysteria surrounding cyber attacks on the U.S., should Princess Maru trade in her gas mask to become a new Doctor Cyber? If Wonder Woman's Trinity is Cheetah, Circe and Psycho, where do you see Doctor Poison fitting into a new rogues' gallery?

And am I the only one, who noticed Poison's little, red gloves in the movie trailer? That tiny detail impressed me.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-05-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: graphic
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

She's as relevant now as she ever was, with everyone still wetting themselves if they find out there are chemical weapons involved. I mean, the Middle-East is currently in chaos because the West thought Saddam Hussein had them, they somehow managed to get Assad to give up his and basically leave him to deal with the civil war that ended up with ISIS.

I see Poison as being Wonder Woman's answer to the Scarecrow, a fiendish nut job that uses weapons you cannot see and you cannot fight and the moment you know they are there, it's too late. She may not be able to affect Diana directly... but think of the situation Diana is in if she finds Poison waiting for her in a crowded subway station. What Poison could be now is a bio-terrorist who sells her skills to the highest bidder.

I would loose the Princess title however, I dont see what that does for her... as for her Japanese root... ehh, I am not sure how much this needs to be stressed these days since it basically is a way to remind us of the stuff wartime Japan got up to in China with Unit 731. (Though you could say she actually was a member of that unit and that she actually managed to find some life-prologing treatment during that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She's as relevant now as she ever was, with everyone still wetting themselves if they find out there are chemical weapons involved...I see Poison as being Wonder Woman's answer to the Scarecrow, a fiendish nut job that uses weapons you cannot see and you cannot fight and the moment you know they are there, it's too late. She may not be able to affect Diana directly... but think of the situation Diana is in if she finds Poison waiting for her in a crowded subway station...
    WW's Scarecrow...that's an interesting angle. So, you don't see her being in the top tier of the rogues' gallery?

Honestly, Doctor Poison has been one of my least favorite WW supervillains, but, I'm just now realizing that there's so much you can do with this character! She's a chemist! She can create zombies or giants or mutated wildlife or some other kinds of monsters! She's crazy, and she doesn't care what the consequences are! I think in almost any other superhero comic - Avengers, Justice League, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man - she might be, at least, a solid b-lister super-villain. Why, why, why-eeee haven't the WW comic's editors found the writers, who could make better use of her?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-05-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    WW's Scarecrow...that's an interesting angle. So, you don't see her being in the top tier of the rogues' gallery?

Honestly, Doctor Poison has been one of my least favorite WW supervillains, but, I'm just now realizing that there's so much you can do with this character! She's a chemist! She can create zombies or giants or mutated wildlife or some other kinds of monsters! She's crazy, and she doesn't care what the consequences are! I think in almost any other superhero comic - Avengers, Justice League, Batman, X-Men, Spider-Man - she might be, at least, a solid b-lister super-villain. Why, why, why-eeee haven't the WW comic's editors found the writers, who could make better use of her?
    To my mind, a top tier villain for a hero is someone who can engage the hero directly, either in the physical or cerebral sense... not someone who can create a distraction then make their getaway. A physical top tier is someone who Diana has to actually put effort into defeating in a physical fight, while a cerebral one is one she can't fight and who will just leave by the front door (the Lex Luthor way). Poison to my mind does not work as either because she can't challenge Diana directly, and she isn't smart enough to effectively walk away clean.

Because creating monsters through chemicals is B-level horror movie material. What Poison could be however is a terrifying bio terrorist that targets indiscriminately and the results are the stuff of nightmares in themselves and the crazed aspect of her could simply add the splash of Ledger Joker to the mix of no one being able to figure her out.

There was once a Dr. Poison who had connections to the Yakuza or something like that and I like that with Poison as an Japanese assassin who uses chemicals.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 11-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She's as relevant now as she ever was, with everyone still wetting themselves if they find out there are chemical weapons involved. I mean, the Middle-East is currently in chaos because the West thought Saddam Hussein had them, they somehow managed to get Assad to give up his and basically leave him to deal with the civil war that ended up with ISIS.

I see Poison as being Wonder Woman's answer to the Scarecrow, a fiendish nut job that uses weapons you cannot see and you cannot fight and the moment you know they are there, it's too late. She may not be able to affect Diana directly... but think of the situation Diana is in if she finds Poison waiting for her in a crowded subway station. What Poison could be now is a bio-terrorist who sells her skills to the highest bidder.

I would loose the Princess title however, I dont see what that does for her... as for her Japanese root... ehh, I am not sure how much this needs to be stressed these days since it basically is a way to remind us of the stuff wartime Japan got up to in China with Unit 731. (Though you could say she actually was a member of that unit and that she actually managed to find some life-prologing treatment during that time).

I like your idea of her being Diana's "Scarecrow". I think that is a good role for her to play in the rogues gallery. Rather than have her devices/chemicals not be able to directly affect Diana, I think that could be bypassed by utilizing the second Dr. Poison's familiarity with mythological substances or perhaps some gifts from Ares(maybe she could be his emissary of plague?) or Circe. This could even be taken a step further and one of these two could give the good Doctor the ability to release poisons/toxins from her own body(i.e. breath, teeth, nails, etc.).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Dr Poison has no relevance?

A certain mosquito cancer says differently......

Also, give her some magic toxins to hurt Diana as well as create monsters. She could be like a cross between Scarecrow, Harley Quinn, and Toyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I like your idea of her being Diana's "Scarecrow". I think that is a good role for her to play in the rogues gallery...give the good Doctor the ability to release poisons/toxins from her own body(i.e. breath, teeth, nails, etc.).
    Maybe, she could poot?

Just give me a version I actually have some reason to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just give me a version I actually have some reason to care about.

I'm curious to know which stories with Dr. Poison in them that you've read?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

When I saw her revealed in the new trailer I immediately thought of you and your avi

Dr. Poison is pretty badass, deadly and scary af when handled well, as noted previously. But surprised that OP includes Psycho in the Trinity of Wonder Villains. I thought it was Ares instead, especially given the recent push he has received in other media. Wouldn't mind at all if Poison overtakes Psycho to be the most prominent of Wonder Woman's evil doctors.

Here's the thing.

There's no telling how much or if any of those previous stories will even be a part of what happens going forward. Who or what the character will be going forward as well as the character's actual place in the stories will probably be a deciding factor when it comes to how I feel about that character after "Rebirth".

Take Sasha. While I've been a pretty big fan in the past, the "Rebirth" version just seems pointless to me. How I feel about the old character doesn't really factor into how I feel about what's happening now.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 11-06-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's the thing.

There's no telling how much or if any of those previous stories will even be a part of what happens going forward. Who or what the character will be going forward as well as the character's actual place in the stories will probably be a deciding factor when it comes to how I feel about that character after "Rebirth".

Take Sasha. While I've been a pretty big fan in the past, the "Rebirth" version just seems pointless to me. How I feel about the old character doesn't really factor into how I feel about what's happening now.

Still, I'm interested to know which stories you've read.

Sorry for your loss on Sasha. I've never loved or hated her so I'm still kind of neutral on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    When I saw her revealed in the new trailer I immediately thought of you and your avi

Dr. Poison is pretty badass, deadly and scary af when handled well, as noted previously. But surprised that OP includes Psycho in the Trinity of Wonder Villains. I thought it was Ares instead, especially given the recent push he has received in other media. Wouldn't mind at all if Poison overtakes Psycho to be the most prominent of Wonder Woman's evil doctors.

Perhaps he didn't include Ares because he's a public domain character who is part of many fictional characters' rogues galleries.

As for Poison becoming Diana's most prominent doctor villain, I would love that. I think her appearing in the movie will definitely help but it will take the Wonder Woman creative teams to solidify and extend that title.

Perhaps he didn't include Ares because he's a public domain character who is part of many fictional characters' rogues galleries.

As for Poison becoming Diana's most prominent doctor villain, I would love that. I think her appearing in the movie will definitely help but it will take the Wonder Woman creative teams to solidify and extend that title.
    But then so is Circe (the first time I came across the character was in Duck Tales )

Doctor Poison will definitely be featured prominently in comics around the time the movie drops. Should be exciting (and hopefully Rucka and his artists stay on till then as I'd love to see their take on the character).