Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Here's a question: Do you guys think that DC will stick with the New 52 changes to past costumes, such as the Robins not wearing their classic attire, Batman always having wore his New 52 outfit etc. or when the 10 years is restored do you think it will bring the classic looks of the characters back into continuity?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    Here's a question: Do you guys think that DC will stick with the New 52 changes to past costumes, such as the Robins not wearing their classic attire, Batman always having wore his New 52 outfit etc. or when the 10 years is restored do you think it will bring the classic looks of the characters back into continuity?
    They've already reversed that one, actually. At like the end of Snyder's run, we saw Batman's "closet" where he has a bunch of suits, including his classic one with the bat inside the yellow oval. They've also shown Aquaman's old hook and Titans #1 showed a flashback with Wally and Barry running together and Barry was sans the New 52 chinstrap.

BANNED

I think they will stick to the new52 costumes, because I don't think they will stick the 10 years back in.

The new costumes probably came after the 10 lost years so restoring the 10 lost years would not affect the new 52 costumes and rebirth costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    They've already reversed that one, actually. At like the end of Snyder's run, we saw Batman's "closet" where he has a bunch of suits, including his classic one with the bat inside the yellow oval. They've also shown Aquaman's old hook and Titans #1 showed a flashback with Wally and Barry running together and Barry was sans the New 52 chinstrap.
    In Red Hood Issue 1 the flashback where Batman meets Jason for the first time shows Batman in his New 52 outfit though, and another issue shows a flashback of Jason on his first night as Robin wearing his New 52 outfit and looking at Dick's New 52 Robin outfit in a display case. It's weird, different titles seem to be doing their own thing in this regard.

BANNED

In Red Hood Issue 1 the flashback where Batman meets Jason for the first time shows Batman in his New 52 outfit though, and another issue shows a flashback of Jason on his first night as Robin wearing his New 52 outfit and looking at Dick's New 52 Robin outfit in a display case. It's weird, different titles seem to be doing their own thing in this regard.
    That's because the people who make the comics don't really care about this whole thing as much as some readers do.

I just checked Titans #1. The Flashback is there of Wally and Barry (minus chinstrap), but in the same issue there's a flashback of Wally and Dick going for a ride in the Batmobile with Dick wearing his New 52 costume. So it seems some have changed and some haven't.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Well there was that weird temporary overlap where some of the characters remembered the pre-Crisis version of the Crisis. Too a while for things to solidify.
    It kind of created a very interesting "limbo zone" when things were not totally Pre-COIE or Post-COIE. During that same run, Byrne referred to the battle with Chemo during the Crisis, which even Byrne outright wrote in his narration took place on a parallel world that no longer existed. It was one of the first explicit Post-COIE acknowledgements that there had been a Pre-COIE Multiverse. The old wizard Shazam's brief reference to the Pre-COIE Marvel Family of Earth-S in SHAZAM: THE NEW BEGINNING was another one.

As the Post-COIE continuity further coalesced, though, we began to stop seeing such anomalous references.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 11-12-2016 at 01:42 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

So far, there seems to be lots of casual name dropping or mentions of bits of pre coie history or pre flashpoint history.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    So far, there seems to be lots of casual name dropping or mentions of bits of pre coie history or pre flashpoint history.
    Yes. And I am loving that! That is, after all, what this thread is supposed to be about. We're counting up all those instances.

Astonishing Member

Seems to be in keeping with the idea that the timeline is changing around the characters and anomalies are cropping up as a result.

I can imagine them confirming that characters wore classic costumes in the past via flashbacks. Even there though it'll be hard to know for sure until Rebirth is finished and the timeline settled, and that's still only a little less than two years away. But either way in the present they'll keep the more modern looks, more than likely. Trunks, for instance, are never coming back as a present-day look for anyone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-12-2016 at 02:12 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can imagine them confirming that characters wore classic costumes in the past via flashbacks. Even there though it'll be hard to know for sure until Rebirth is finished and the timeline settled, and that's still only a little less than two years away. But either way in the present they'll keep the more modern looks, more than likely. Trunks, for instance, are never coming back as a present-day look for anyone.
    Yeah, this makes sense.

For example, for Batman, I think the 'costume timeline' will work this way.

Zero Year suit/Year One suit (depending on which origin ultimately sticks) ->New Look Yellow Oval suit -> New 52 armor -> Rebirth suit

With Robin, I can see them going the route that the classic Robin suit with shorts was born briefly by Dick Grayson when he first started out, but he quickly replaced it with the New 52 armored look. I can also see Jason and Tim's New 52 Robin suits sticking. (Though maybe Tim wore one or both of his pre-52 Robin suits as well).

With Wonder Woman they've already established that the Rebirth look is actually Diana's original costume, and the New 52 suit is something she later adopted, before going back to the Rebirth look. And maybe along the way, various pre-52 looks will be returned to continuity as well.

Extraordinary Member

Its probably up in the air right now. I mean, what Batman was wearing is not as important as the fact that he had the same experiences as he did Pre-Flashpoint. Although, Snyder and Capullo, before debuting the current look, did show us pretty much all of Batman's previous looks through the decades. And, again, in Legends of Tomorrow, we see Aquaman's old hook and of course Barry without the chinstrap. I imagine at the end of Rebirth, we will see more (as I imagine it'll pretty much match up with what Wally is remembering in the Speed Force), but now, its like DC is telling us that they are now going to treat the past 70 or so years as canon, hence what we've seen in several of the titles across the line (see my OP).

Extraordinary Member

Has anyone considered that the very existence of Six Pack and Dogwelder's series and the recent popping up of the Arkannone in Midnighter/Apollo is a sign that the entirety of the 90s Hitman series is back in continuity??

Also, Extraño (now just Gregorio de la Vega) popped up in Midnighter/Apollo and has referenced his time with the New Guardians.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.