Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pitch a Western movie with a blend of sci-fi or fantasy!

Hey guys! I was reading the Image Comic East of West and I realised how its mix of political intrigue, fantasy and sci-fi in a post-apocalyptic Western-esque world was such a clever idea. Even better, it would an amazing thing if it could be a movie! It would be cool if I could hear your thoughts on what you would imagine a movie with this style could be like. Which actors would you cast? And who would you hire to direct?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

The original Aliens vs Predator Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    The original Aliens vs Predator Story.
    Cowboys & Aliens was cowboys verses aliens, of course. The Valley of Gwangi was sort of cowboys meet Godzilla. Westworld was sort of cowboys and robots. Johan Hex was cowboys and zombies.
    Billy the Kid vs. Dracula was cowboys verses vampires. So lots of choices. Maybe Jesse James verses werewolves?

Mighty Member

Default Western/Sci Fi/ Fantasy movie Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by RickGrimes17 View Post
    Hey guys! I was reading the Image Comic East of West and I realised how its mix of political intrigue, fantasy and sci-fi in a post-apocalyptic Western-esque world was such a clever idea. Even better, it would an amazing thing if it could be a movie! It would be cool if I could hear your thoughts on what you would imagine a movie with this style could be like. Which actors would you cast? And who would you hire to direct?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Haven't read East of West yet because I am waiting for the larger Compendium that Image has started putting out with many of their titles. I did see Cowboys vs. Aliens and enjoyed it. I think the problem with mixing the 3 genres is that Westerns tend to become more wish fulfilment than genuine history. Americans in particular are ignorant often by choice of large swaths of their history and possibly the only era more romanticized than Westerns is the 30's/40's Gangster era.Both eras are seen as simplistic good vs evil scenarios where conflict was solved through violence. Science fiction at it's best takes a somewhat jaundiced view of progress and it's long term effects on mankind. Much of what we see onscreen called SF are actually horror movies that steal the visuals and settings of SF and end up as nothing more than shock and thrills for making money. Combining the two to achieve anything of quality would be hard because the genres work in opposite directions in many ways.Doing a combination using only the Pulpiest aspects of both would be a lot easier and could still be a lot of fun.Of course a Western/Fantasy mix of 2 wish fulfilment genres would be even easier. Robin Hood Goes West or King Arthur in the Old West sort of thing which a couple of films have touched on already.

Forget "Pitch".

Just go watch Bone Tomahawk.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Forget "Pitch".

Just go watch Bone Tomahawk.
    Thats the kurt russell one right? Thought it was just a western and never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats the kurt russell one right? Thought it was just a western and never got around to it.
    Yep.

Don't want to spoil much, but it sort of wanders into the territory the thread is based on.

I also feel like it might actually be Russell's best work.

One other thing...

Charlie from Party Of Five? Easily his best work.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

A live version of Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.. I'm pretty sure technology has kept up to do this now..

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    A live version of Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers.. I'm pretty sure technology has kept up to do this now..
    I for one am totally up for this.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Incredible Member

I'll go for a classic one.

Keep on the Borderlands - the series.

There is this small keep, along the border of the grand duchy of Geoff.

it's in the middle of nowhere, and has to deal with the great desolate wilderness that reaches out as far as the eyes can see.

we follow this small rag tag group as they deal with the issues of orc hordes, wandering travelers and each other, as well as finding about a dungeon complex that is the source of their problems.

(Think f-troop meets jericho).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I'll go for a classic one.

Keep on the Borderlands - the series.

There is this small keep, along the border of the grand duchy of Geoff.

it's in the middle of nowhere, and has to deal with the great desolate wilderness that reaches out as far as the eyes can see.

we follow this small rag tag group as they deal with the issues of orc hordes, wandering travelers and each other, as well as finding about a dungeon complex that is the source of their problems.

(Think f-troop meets jericho).
    Borderlands sounds really cool. I'll have to track it down. Thanks.

Wanted: Dead or Alive

What I'm pitching is basically a prequel/sequel to the 2008 movie starring Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy and Morgan Freeman.

The first movie laid out that the Fraternity existed for years, where they would be basically assassins of fate. What I would do is sort of bring the movie back to it's more despicable comic book origin, where the Fraternity never pretends that they are doing something to benefit lives. They basically are Outlaws and they are awful.

I would have a young man who developes that talents of curving bullets and becomes famous. He also becomes a lone outlaw and the Fraternity come looking for him, because this guy is letting people know that people with abilities like them exist and potentially making them a target for men of law. The Fraternity likes to operate in a style that does not reveal their abilities, so this guy has to go.

Since lawlessness is such a big part of Westerns, I think the Wanted sequel would fit very easily. I would obviously have a big action set piece with very cool, bullet curving shootout. While we did have Wesley in the first movie taking apart a bunch of the Fraternity, what we didn't really see is a showdown of multiple bullet curvers. This would be a wild and visceral shoot out, where there would be bullets flying left, right and centre in slow motion, intercut with people reacting in bullet time, sort of using the 300-style speed up and slow down action sequences.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Mighty Member

a pan-national live-action "Cowboy Bebop" movie series following in the footsteps of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". give it the budget of the Star Wars prequels and move from there. adapt the whole series into roughly three 120 minute films. have the principal characters be Japanese (but have them be able to speak in both English and Japanese for alternate dubs). the supporting characters could be from all over the world... since Bebop is an interstellar adventure. ideally, it could end up being somewhere between the original Cowboy Bebop, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Star Wars.

(yeah, I know this will never happen, but I like the idea)

Make a movie of the Red Dead Redemption vid game with the zombies and monsters.