Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Didn't like it in The New 52, like it in Rebirth?

There any titles that you didn't care for in The New 52, but you really like the Rebirth version of that title?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Wonder Woman. Hands down.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I would amend that to "post-Azzarello/Chiang" version of New52 Wonder Woman.
    (For me, the Azzarello/Chiang version may have been different, but it was still damn good.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would amend that to "post-Azzarello/Chiang" version of New52 Wonder Woman.
    (For me, the Azzarello/Chiang version may have been different, but it was still damn good.)
    Not for me.

Azz definitely did a good job writing Diana's personality, but I just couldn't get behind the changes he made to her origin. It wasn't just giving her a father. That I could've been fine with. It's the fact that they had her birth require Hippolyta to be the biggest and most selfish idiot in existence in order to happen. There is no way Hippolyta willingly and knowingly sleeps with Zeus, knowing full well the danger to herself, her child, and her people should Hera find out. Add the fact that Zeus should disgust Hippolyta on every possible level? Yeah, just doesn't work. The murderous Amazons, and Diana's bullied outcast upbringing was also a dealbreaker for me. We saw literally nothing of value from the Amazons. If they had all died out, I saw nothing that should've convinced me that I should mourn them.

Then the First Born was a total yawn-fest of a villain. Completely generic "Daddy didn't love me" motivation, a generic evil plot (destroy everything,) and nothing that made him even kind of stand out as anything unique. Didn't like most of the re-designs of the gods. The list goes on.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

As usual, co-signing Vanguard. That seems to be a thing.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Wonder Woman as well... Green Arrow for sure, John Constantine (though I can't put my finger on why exactly). Those come to mind first.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Mighty Member

Teen Titans. I've been waiting years for a Teen Titans book I could enjoy and I finally got it. Shame about Jonboy leaving though...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Superman
    Detective Comics

Green Arrow.

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman as well. Definitely an improvement thus far.

And not quite the same but I think many have been reinvigorated by Rebirth but Sinestro's story has gotten pretty mangled to me in the transition to Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. A lot of it of course works but it largely feels like, well we know Sinestro will go back to being a simple villain at some point may as well do it now. A lot of his points like protecting the Korugarians and truthfully making the universe safe through fear was largely dropped and turned into "Sinestro was just trying to terrorize people to power himself up". And it really goes against Sinestro's use of Parallax to keep Warworld together where he genuinely gave up a major asset just to protect his people (the Korugarians and the Sinestro Corps).

On the other hand the use of Jessica and Simon in Green Lanterns really endeared me to the two and they were kind of just there initially in Green Lantern and Justice League. I didn't think I'd like them as a team, or Jessica as a "normal" GL as I loved her Power Ring potential. But it's been one of the most enjoyable DC books right now.

Azz definitely did a good job writing Diana's personality, but I just couldn't get behind the changes he made to her origin. It wasn't just giving her a father. That I could've been fine with. It's the fact that they had her birth require Hippolyta to be the biggest and most selfish idiot in existence in order to happen. There is no way Hippolyta willingly and knowingly sleeps with Zeus, knowing full well the danger to herself, her child, and her people should Hera find out. Add the fact that Zeus should disgust Hippolyta on every possible level? Yeah, just doesn't work.
    But . . . he's the big-daddy GOD of that pantheon. How many women did he trick into sleeping with him in the myths? Who's to say he didn't use any enchantments or what-not in seducing Hippolyta into having sex with him? And who's to say she wasn't horny as hell and threw aside all reason in this fling?

Astonishing Member

But . . . he's the big-daddy GOD of that pantheon. How many women did he trick into sleeping with him in the myths? Who's to say he didn't use any enchantments or what-not in seducing Hippolyta into having sex with him? And who's to say she wasn't horny as hell and threw aside all reason in this fling?
    Actually it was made a pretty big deal when the book was first released that Hippolyta and Zeus definitely fell in love and were completely consensual BECAUSE of Zeus' known behavior. Otherwise WAY more people would've been bothered.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

My top book is Superman. I never could get into the N52 stories no matter how often I tried to during the reboot. Something about them just didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. I like the book a whole lot better these days even if I don't like how it came about. (Killing off N52 Superman was NOT the way to handle this, DC.)

My second book would be Teen Titans. The current book is already miles ahead of the N52 one at only a couple of issues. For me it's a breath of sorely needed fresh air for the franchise after the messy state it's been in for literally years even before the reboot screwed it up even more.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Green Arrow.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

But . . . he's the big-daddy GOD of that pantheon. How many women did he trick into sleeping with him in the myths? Who's to say he didn't use any enchantments or what-not in seducing Hippolyta into having sex with him?
    The fact that both tellings of their hookup did nothing to suggest that Hippolyta WAS deceived in any way? The fact that Hippolyta knew, full well, with whom she was jumping into bed?

And who's to say she wasn't horny as hell and threw aside all reason in this fling?
    So the Queen of the Amazons: an intelligent woman who is charged with the responsibility of protecting her people, just throws all of that to the wind because......she was horny? Yeah, Hippolyta's looking really great right there.

Hippolyta knows who Zeus is. She knows what happens to Zeus' lovers and bastard children once his wife finds out what happened. Azz even went so far as to say that Hera had actually been quite good to the Amazons before this incident. She specifically called the Amazons "holy" to her. Clearly she cared about them. And Hippolyta willingly and knowingly betrayed her, knowing full well the consequences that would result?

So she's a bad queen, because she knowingly endangered her people for nothing more than a one-night stand. She's a bad religious worshipper because she betrayed a goddess who had been good to her and her people for nothing more than a one-night stand. She's a bad mother because she knew exactly what would happen to her child if Hera ever learned of her. And most important of all, she's a bad Amazon because she willingly jumped into bed with a mass-murdering serial rapist who literally INVENTED the patriarchal system that the Amazons were supposed to oppose.

No part of this makes Hippolyta look even remotely good. Instead of a forlorn woman who prayed to the gods for a miracle so she could have a child of her own to love, she is now a selfish hypocrite who got her child BY ACCIDENT while she knowingly betrayed everything she's supposed to believe in for nothing more than a brief moment of physical pleasure.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--