Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Is Anybody Else Finding Marvel to Be a Little Too Unaffordable Lately?

Because I am. I really wanted to get the new Avengers #1, but it was $5. I'm not paying $5 for one comic. I don't care how good it is. For that price, I could get like 3 back issues of something else. And Marvel Unlimited is, well, unlimited. I'm wondering, have any of you noticed that this is something that has impacted your buying habits? Have you guys started reading more back issues or just choosing something else to buy? Or, does nobody here find it a big deal?

Rarely do I really consider the price of a comic. If I want to read it, then I will fork out a little extra if need be. If said comic turns out to be dud, then at least I tried. I can understand why people would rather spend their money on cheaper comics though. I recall a few people at my local being a little upset when the management told us they had to raise the price a bit thanks to Brexit.

Incredible Member

I won't be picking up any Marvel issues as this current direction and price just isn't suited for me. I would rather go on Amazon and buy a trade paper back of Todd MacFarlane Spiderman or JSA by Geoff Johns for just a few dollars more.

I was able to pick up the first tpb of Extraordinary X-Men for $.75 more than the cost of the first issue six weeks after release. To me, that says a lot about how high the price point has gotten and the quality of the comics. $5 a pop to try out an unknown quantity is just way too much. For that,it has to be a character that I love with a fab creative team, and Marvel isn't offering a lot of that these days.

Marvel is definitely out of control. I honestly feel guilty buying their comics, specifically because of the price. I know that, by paying what they charge, I am telling them it's OK to charge that much. And it's far too much. It really is. What Marvel is doing is dangerous and they need to stop.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Marvel is definitely out of control. I honestly feel guilty buying their comics, specifically because of the price. I know that, by paying what they charge, I am telling them it's OK to charge that much. And it's far too much. It really is. What Marvel is doing is dangerous and they need to stop.

Especially the main Deadpool title. Bi-Monthly shipping, extra-sized issues, anniversary issues, annuals, at this point, I'm paying about 20 euros every month for Deadpool. Hell, my sub for this month costs 100 euros! 100! I mean, what the ****? I flip through these books in a couple of hours, tops. And people think gaming is expensive...

The higher price has lead me to make choices about what I'm buying. I've decided to turn to trade on a few things, but the current titles I buy are very limited and they need to be very meaningful to me in order to buy them. Not to mention because of the exchange rate, a 5$ comics is like 6,50 for me... which is a lot to spend on something that can be read in 10 minutes. I will invest on things I feel I need to support, like Waid's Avengers 1.1 though, but personally I have to really care about the characters/writers in order to pay that much for a comic book.

Nope.

Buy want to have to have (very few comics)

errr... find what I HAVE TO READ NOW!!! for forum discussions

read the rest of Marvel Unlimited.

Marvel Unlimited saves me more money than they could ever get out of me for singles.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

iMan 42s

It hasn't affected me much. At the end of the day I still pay my bills on time and have enough to use elsewhere should I want to. It's a mild irritant and every so often I have to come back for comics in my subscription box, but this point I just accept that comics are an expensive hobby and I accepted that long before this was five dollars an issue.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Niffleheim

Nope. I don't buy everything I just buy my favorite books, and they aren't many, the rest I wait for them to drop in Marvel Unlimited and buy some in comixology when they are having a big sale. There are a lot of option for ppl to get this books on the cheap.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-07-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Not affordable?

Nope.

It's pretty expensive so I don't buy too many books from them anymore. It's one of the many factors hurting books not about A-list characters, I believe. No one wants to risk paying $5 for unfamiliar characters, despite those books often being better than the flagship titles.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I'm a lot more conservative with my chooses now, when I started back before SW even with everything being 4 dollars I was pretty liberal in trying out a bunch of different kinds of books(Moon Knight, Spiderman 2099, Ant Man, Howard the Duck, Spider Woman). Now, thanks to the almost regular at this point 5 dollar #1s and inconsistent double shipping(I never know when a book is double shipping or not, it seems to change from month to month?) I'm just down to All New Wolverine and Scarlet Witch. I'll likely add Avengers and i'll always have a place for Iron Man once those books actually become Iron Man books again, but stuff I would have tried like Nova and Ghost Rider are getting a pass now.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Yes and in my case it discourages me from trying out books that i would like to take a look at, but i don't want to pay 5 bucks on a gamble. So i may wait for TPBs for some new titles and that does not help the books while they are fighting for sales to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Rarely do I really consider the price of a comic. If I want to read it, then I will fork out a little extra if need be. If said comic turns out to be dud, then at least I tried. I can understand why people would rather spend their money on cheaper comics though. I recall a few people at my local being a little upset when the management told us they had to raise the price a bit thanks to Brexit.
    That sounds a bit dodgy to me. Brexit hasn't even happened yet and even if it does I'm not sure why that would affect the prices of comics imported from the USA?
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt