Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Default Tamaki Awakens a New Hulk in the Aftermath of Civil War II

For Bruce Banner, being a gamma powered goliath was a curse, the Marvel Comics hero’s unstoppable physical power fueled by a boundless anger. But his cousin, Jennifer Walters, lacked this rage and as as the Sensational She-Hulk, was able to use her boundless strength alongside the positive qualities that drove her, like courage and a determination to protect the innocent. As a result, Jen built a successful career as both a superhero and a lawyer. So what happens though when tragedy strikes, and Walters suddenly finds herself dealing with many of the personal demons her cousin wrestled with?

That’s one of the central questions of Mariko Tamaki and Nico Leon’s December-launching “Hulk” series, which finds Jen Walters juggling her responsibilities as hero and attorney while dealing with the physical and emotional wounds she suffered during “Civil War II,” where she almost died in a battle with Thanos and her cousin was killed by the hero Hawkeye who was later acquitted. We spoke with Tamaki about her take on how being a Hulk has changed for Jen, which aspects of the character’s life she’s initially interested in exploring, and how the tone of “Hulk” will compare to Walters previous “She-Hulk” books.

http://www.cbr.com/tamaki-awakens-a-...-civil-war-ii/
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I have to say that after reading this interview, I'm a little more optimistic about this new series. It seems that Tamaki is going to do her best to keep Jen's friendly attitude, I liked the part where she said she got inspired by earlier She-hulk's comics. I'll take a look to the first issue.

I am really looking forward to this title! Jen is my favorite Marvel character, so it will be great to see her back in her own solo. I know quite a few long-time fans are a bit worried about the change in direction, so its nice to see Tamaki's answer this issue. I like the direction she seems to be aiming for, and hopefully she strikes a right balance between drama and typical She-Hulk humor. Never read any of her work before, but I have heard nothing from praise so I am optimistic!

My only complaint is the name change. I can understand why, but she really should still go by She-Hulk. Its her moniker, she has made it her own. To trade it for Hulk just feels a little disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I am really looking forward to this title! Jen is my favorite Marvel character, so it will be great to see her back in her own solo. I know quite a few long-time fans are a bit worried about the change in direction, so its nice to see Tamaki's answer this issue. I like the direction she seems to be aiming for, and hopefully she strikes a right balance between drama and typical She-Hulk humor. Never read any of her work before, but I have heard nothing from praise so I am optimistic!

My only complaint is the name change. I can understand why, but she really should still go by She-Hulk. Its her moniker, she has made it her own. To trade it for Hulk just feels a little disrespectful.
    I think she'll still go as She-Hulk, and the change is only on the title of the book. Like Riri, the book is still caled Invincible Iron Man, but her codename is Ironheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think she'll still go as She-Hulk, and the change is only on the title of the book. Like Riri, the book is still caled Invincible Iron Man, but her codename is Ironheart.
    Hoping that is the case.

I'm very excited for this. Mariko Tamaki's a fantastic writer, so there was no way I wasn't going to pick up her on a Marvel title.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

"So what happens when we take everything that you liked about She-Hulk and flushed it down the crapper?"

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I generally go with "Shun this book like The Plague."
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    "So what happens when we take everything that you liked about She-Hulk and flushed it down the crapper?"

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I generally go with "Shun this book like The Plague."
    Thing is people have already doing that for decades now. Maybe an all new approach can get people interested enough to pick up her book and get them to like the character for when she inevitably goes back to "normal".

That's not exactly whats happening though. Tamaki has said that she still wants to keep the classic Jen, just show how this dramatic event has changed her life. I mean yes, it could end up being a book that dumps on everything the makes her great and in that case I agree, but it could also show just how strong a character she is.

She Hulk is that rare character who really hasn't had a bad run, at least quality wise. John Byrne, Dan Slott, Peter David and Charles Soule all did quite well by Jennifer. So though I know absolutely nothing about this new creator, I'll check it out, based on inertia alone.

That would be a more compelling argument if that was what was happening, but why let facts get in the way out self-righteous outrage.

why is she gray?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why is she gray?
    Because it looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Because it looks cool.
    They have made her weaker. I do not accept this.

I'm not doubting Tamaki's ability to write a good story, given her credentials and the thought process she's taking going into this, especially since she seems to assuage any fears that Jen will stop being Jen and seems to really care and understand the character. Not to mention the trend of good writers taking the crud that is Civil War II and making at least something readable out of it, like David Walker and self-justifying murderer Hawkeye in Occupy Avengers.

Though I just can't muster up much interest in this take on She-Hulk, both the look and feel of it and the fact that it's coming out as part of the "aftermath of Civil War II," an event who's effects I wish could just be dropped and forgotten about rather then driving the books of characters I care about .

Hopefully this book is good, particularly for those who want to read it, and Jen is served well in it, better then Marvel served her or her cousin in Civil War II. And then we can get a She-Hulk Rebirth once she's through this phase of her life .