Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Most Sympathetic and Least Sympathetic Marvel Villains?

Who is the most sympathetic Marvel villain? Who is the least sympathetic Marvel villain?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Who is the most sympathetic Marvel villain? Who is the least sympathetic Marvel villain?
    Some poor sap who was just stealing something off a storefront display table he could hock for forty bucks, but Spider-Man brained him.

And... the genocidals, I guess. Red Skull. Magneto. Ultron. Any of the jackasses who regularly try to enslave or murder large populations in between kidnapping specific people to torture or debate with them.

Though, as a side note, I still don't get why a) we treat Galactus as a force of nature not a conscious, cognizant being when he clearly is one, and b) precisely how removing his planet-eating habits is going to irrevocably and hazardously affect the universe at large in any scale that isn't millions of years in the coming.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Sympathetic: Magneto.

Magneto has always been one of my favorite villains, and its largely because I see where he is coming from. At the core he believes that he is doing the right thing for his people, a repressed minority that has had enough of being treated as inferior. Admittedly he dose have a habit of becoming simply an egotistical killer terrorist...but his core principles make him an interesting character.

Least Sympathetic: Punisher

OK, first of all I know that the large majority of people will class frank as an anti hero over villain but... I dunno, I still think of him as one. His a psychopathic killer who acts as judge, jury and executioner over anyone he sees as bad. In my books he has no right to be called hero or even anti hero. Do not get wrong, I am actually a fan of the character and Greg Rucka's run is an amazing comic... I just think his methods is a disservice to the word Justice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Some poor sap who was just stealing something off a storefront display table he could hock for forty bucks, but Spider-Man brained him.

And... the genocidals, I guess. Red Skull. Magneto. Ultron. Any of the jackasses who regularly try to enslave or murder large populations in between kidnapping specific people to torture or debate with them.

Though, as a side note, I still don't get why a) we treat Galactus as a force of nature not a conscious, cognizant being when he clearly is one, and b) precisely how removing his planet-eating habits is going to irrevocably and hazardously affect the universe at large in any scale that isn't millions of years in the coming.
    I don't know, humans eat animals all the time, despite the fact they can feel pain. That is how I see Galactus, eating lesser life forms in order to survive.

I also think writing Magneto a a genocidal maniac is writing him out of character. Magneto when written well, is way more sympathetic then Red Skull. Magneto wants to defend a race from discrimination, Red Skull is just a psychopath who is mad about his own bad childhood and wants to take it out on the world, that is the difference between those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Sympathetic: Magneto.

Magneto has always been one of my favorite villains, and its largely because I see where he is coming from. At the core he believes that he is doing the right thing for his people, a repressed minority that has had enough of being treated as inferior. Admittedly he dose have a habit of becoming simply a egotistical killer terrorist...but his core principles make him an interesting character.

Least Sympathetic: Punisher

OK, first of all I know that the large majority of people will class frank as an anti hero over villain but... I dunno, I still think of him as one. His a psychopathic killer who acts as judge, jury and executioner over anyone he sees as bad. In my books he has no right to be called hero or even anti hero. Do not get wrong, I am actually a fan of the character and Greg Rucka's run is an amazing comic... I just think his methods is a disservice to the word Justice.
    Punisher has a good reason for his actions and have you seen some the evil psychopaths Frank has killed? I think Frank has done the world a service by taking out some of the evil psychopaths he has faced.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-05-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Most sympathetic? Magneto. A lot of it comes from his being a Holocaust survivor. So, you kind of understand why he's so adamant on ensuring that mutants are never persecuted.

Least sympathetic? Um...I'm gonna say Malekith. Guy's just pure evil. I could also say Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, especially after Sins Past. Oh, and of course, Red Skull. Guy is literally a Nazi.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Punisher has a good reason for his actions and have you seen some the evil psychopaths Frank has killed? I think Frank has done the world a service by taking out some of the evil psychopaths he has faced.
    I do not think Frank has that great a justification for his actions. Yes, the murder of his family was horrific, but that dose not give him right to do what he dose. Peter Parker lost family, yet he is a hero who puts life first. Mind you I can see why Frank himself sees it as justification, and its one of the things that makes him an interesting character. Going to have to disagree about him doing the world a service too. I just think that if you resort to killing then you are no better then the villains. Forgiveness and redemption are vital aspects of being a superhero I think, but that's a discussion for another time and place!

Its nice to see a lot of support coming out for Magneto. I though Doctor Doom would be the most popular answer.
    Last edited by Valamist; 11-05-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Niffleheim

Most sympathetic villain: None and i love villains

Least sympathetic: Magneto has logical reasons to be a villain but there is nothing in me that will ever make me feel sorry for him because if it does it makes me agree with what he has done and what he is still doing.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-05-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

I do not think Frank has that great a justification for his actions. Yes, the murder of his family was horrific, but that dose not give him right to do what he dose. Peter Parker lost family, yet he is a hero who puts life first. Mind you I can see why Frank himself sees it as justification, and its one of the things that makes him an interesting character. Going to have to disagree about him doing the world a service too. I just think that if you resort to killing then you are no better then the villains. Forgiveness and redemption are vital aspects of being a superhero I think, but that's a discussion for another time and place!

Its nice to see a lot of support coming out for Magneto. I though Doctor Doom would be the most popular answer.
    But have you seen some of the villains Punisher has gone against?

In the 616 universe he fought some psycho General who wanted to blow up Brussels and a psychopathic cult leader who wanted kill his followers and wanted to sterilize the world's population and killed a family because Frank thwarted his mad ambitions. Not mention stories where Frank kills pedophiles. You can't just hug these people and expect them to become better people.

The Max universe is even worse, he faces off against gangsters who murder their own families and sex slavers.

The world is better off without all those evil psychopaths. Frank has faced against some of the most evil psychopaths in comics, the world is way better off after Frank kills these monsters.

Frank is way better then mass murdering psychopaths who want to victimized other people and have no intention of stopping.

Frank is vastly morally superior to villains like Red Skull, Carnage, Bullseye, Purple Man, Scarecrow, Green Goblin, etc.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-05-2016 at 10:04 PM.

But have you seen some of the villains he has gone against?

In the 616 universe he fought he some psycho General who wanted to blow up Brussels and a psychopathic cult leader who wanted kill his followers and wanted to setiralized the world's population and killed a family because Frank thwarted his mad ambitions. Not mention stories where Frank kills pedophiles.

The Max universe is even worse, he faces off against gangsters who murder their own families and sex slavers.

The world is better off without all those evil psychopaths. Frank has faced against some of the most evil psychopaths in comics, the world is way better off after Frank kills these monsters.

Frank is vastly morally superior to villains like Red Skull, Carnage, Bullseye, Purple Man, Scarecrow, Green Goblin, etc.
    I really do not really want to de-rail the thread, so I will just say each to their own. Yes, he probably is morally superior to a lot of villains, but the question was about how sympathetic they are and I just have no sympathy for him or the way he acts. I suppose I chose him over the likes of Red Skull etc because the idea that his methods are the right way to deal with criminals irks me. Carnage and the like are horrific examples of humanity, but they are villains. Unless a specific story is being written they are not mean to be show in the right. Frank often is. Thats just my opinion on the matter and perhaps should have just stuck with detailing Magneto over digging this subject up... sorry!

Niffleheim

The Punisher is just a serial killer or a mass murderer hiding behind the mask of a savior but the same can be said about Magneto.

Astonishing Member

I really do not really want to de-rail the thread, so I will just say each to their own. Yes, he probably is morally superior to a lot of villains, but the question was about how sympathetic they are and I just have no sympathy for him or the way he acts. I suppose I chose him over the likes of Red Skull etc because the idea that his methods are the right way to deal with criminals irks me. Carnage and the like are horrific examples of humanity, but they are villains. Unless a specific story is being written they are not mean to be show in the right. Frank often is. Thats just my opinion on the matter and perhaps should have just stuck with detailing Magneto over digging this subject up... sorry!
    No need to apologize, debate is what this thread about.

I feel Frank is an interesting character because he cause a battle between one's heart and one's head.

On the surface, Frank's actions are not justifiable from a legal or moral perspective. But some of his villains are so vile, so beyond redemption, it can be hard not to cheer when Frank kills these people.

From a moral rational perspective, Frank's actions are unjustifiable, but from a heart, gut reaction, it is satisfying to see Frank kill some of the human monsters he fights against.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    The Punisher is just a serial killer or a mass murderer hiding behind the mask of a savior but the same can be said about Magneto.
    Frank is a serial killer against people who regularly harm innocent people though, that is a big difference. Many of Frank's enemies deserve the fate they get. Frankly a lot of Magneto's enemies get what they deserve. Its hard not to cheer Magneto when you put him against some genocidal monster like William Stryker or Apocalypse.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-05-2016 at 10:53 PM.

No need to apologize, debate is what this thread about.

I feel Frank is an interesting character because he cause a battle between one's heart and one's head.

On the surface, Frank's actions are not justifiable from a legal or moral perspective. But some of his villains are so vile, so beyond redemption, it can be hard not to cheer when Frank kills these people.

From a moral rational perspective, Frank's actions are unjustifiable, but from a heart, gut reaction, it is satisfying to see Frank kill some of the human monsters he fights against.
    That's fair enough, and I would to stress again that I do really like Frank as a character. When he is written right he can be a fascinating examination into what makes a 'hero', the realities of living in a world of superheros is and just how far the word 'justice' can bend. I just cannot sympathies with him or see his actions as overly positive things.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Indeed, though I think Magneto is a little more flexible. I mean, Eric has at times questioned his actions and has taken steps to try and do things in a more peaceful manner (Not that it lasts long...) and I understand his position a bit better then Frank. Magneto has spent most his life seeing what the horrors of subornation and intolerance can do. Dose that mean I think his justified or morally correct? No way, but sometimes you cannot help but cheer these villains on a bit!
    Last edited by Valamist; 11-05-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Most Sympathetic: Magneto and the Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Least Sympathetic: Without counting AvX or IvX, i would say that the Red Skull.

The X-men have been killing purifiers, and their enemies in general, for decades you know.

Frank kills because his family was taken from him.

Magneto kills because his family was taken from him.

Frank kills primarily gangsters and other very homicidal criminals out of a sense of justice and balancing scales, but also innocents caught in the crossfires.

Magneto kills primarily anyone in his way, including many random humans in the wrong place at the wrong time, and also mutants who rub him the wrong way.

Magneto has had a great Claremont arc to give him gravitas, but if you look at his silver age days, and his post-Claremont days(which get confusing with the retcons and such), he's pretty much a mess too.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

That's fair enough, and I would to stress again that I do really like Frank as a character. When he is written right he can be a fascinating examination into what makes a 'hero', the realities of living in a world of superheros is and just how far the word 'justice' can bend. I just cannot sympathies with him or see his actions as overly positive things.

Indeed, though I think Magneto is a little more flexible. I mean, Eric has at times questioned his actions and has taken steps to try and do things in a more peaceful manner (Not that it lasts long...) and I understand his position a bit better then Frank. Magneto has spent most his life seeing what the horrors of subornation and intolerance can do. Dose that mean I think his justified or morally correct? No way, but sometimes you cannot help but cheer these villains on a bit!
    I don't think Punisher is a hero the way Captain America or Spider-Man is, I just don't think he deserves to be down with the worse Marvel has to offer.

Frank may be flawed and not correct in his general M.O, but he often is presented as having some standards, which puts him ahead of the likes of Red Skull or Carnage.