View Poll Results: Is Uncanny Avengers an X-book?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's the Reese's peanut butter cup of the Marvel U.

24 19.20%
  • No, keep the Avengers away from my X-men.

77 61.60%
  • I'm not sure. Let's wait a few issues.

5 4.00%
  • I don't care.

19 15.20%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Why do you care so much about not being anti-cyclops ?, is not like that is gonna matter when you post in threads of certain someone, like "flaws in cyclops' logic".
    I care about explaining where I'm coming from on this subject, so that reactions like "you're an hater" or "you're anti-Cyclops" are dismissed for what they are: shallow arguing, easy cop out and ad hominem.

And do you think we are exagerating and using strawmen ?, look in this very thread, there is someone that believes that if you dont list the flaws of cyclops in a frequent basis, you must believe that cyclops is flawless; or in this fórum, there is someone who believes that wolverine would be a more faithful husband for jean grey than cyclops or that cyclops is the single and only reason that any non-#1 x-book hasnt sell 100k in a long time.
    Yeah.
    Someone.
    Someone as opposed to everyone/a lot of people.
    Thus the need to nuance, thus the reflex of pointing at the rampant generalization done at times, because "it's simpler".
    And yes, there are exaggerations being made at times, like when I read stuff such as Avengers=fascist scum.

And to be sincere, not even a televised live execution of cyclops, organized by the avengers, would get his message across. That it only would work in real life, where karma is real,(if you dont believe me, watch brazil vs germany), but given that the 616 universe is a hellhole, where in comparison, gettting a message across this forum is a piece of cake.

And to clarify, someone defending cyclops' actions is not automatically a blind cyclops' fan either.
    No, it would completely depend on the writer willingness to make it work.
    IRL, trials becoming tribunes for the individuals to express a philosophy or get across a message do happen.
    Just a few weeks ago here in France, there was this doctor's trial where the man pushed for a reflexion on euthanasia (he was accused of having aided some patients to end their lives prematurily).
    It caused a national debate on the subject, up to a point the government had to take a stance about this.
    And that's just a recent example I witnessed, there's no reason why in a work of fiction this kind of things couldn't be transposed and happen.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The Phoenix has destroyed worlds before. What is hasn't done before is restore everyone's mutant powers.

But on this section of the forum it;'s always going to come down to:
    Cyclops = right about everything, completely justified, and never did anything remotely questionable. Even when he took over the world, it was a good thing. A very good thing.
    Captain America = always wrong about everything,m has no idea what he's talking about and is a government stooge and bully. How dare he worry that something that's been destroying worlds might destroy the world!
    When has the phoenix been shown destroying worlds other than the Dark Phoenix Saga?

And the Dark Phoenix Saga doesn't count because the Phoenix very specifically turns evil due to mind rape.

Also, your second sentence is idiotic. Of course the phoenix had never been shown restoring everyone's mutant powers before. Everyone hadn't LOST their powers before. By that logic the phoenix has never been shown saving Santa before either, but there's never been a story about how a divine flaming bird is the only thing standing between children and a joyless christmas so that's irrelevant.

This is why these arguments are dumb. The story itself had no logic, and people keep using broken logic to try and defend a lack of logic, and we're all stupider for having been involved (which is actual science, inane internet arguments make you dumber).

So the civil rights agenda is just people feeling 'paranoid' right? And 'we' are the apologists? If you don't see how the X-Men were connected to this, maybe you are in the wrong forum?

Edit:

The X-Men are connected to the civil rights movement and the struggle of minorities for democratic representation since the beginning. If you try to dismiss that, you clearly lack the intellectual capacity to understand the political origin behind this book, and what it means for specific social groups. Go flex your muscles instead, and read about cap'n beating some 'damn hippies' up with his shield.
    Last edited by Dosas; 07-10-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dosas View Post
    So the civil rights agenda is just people feeling 'paranoid' right? And 'we' are the apologists? If you don't see how the X-Men were connected to this, maybe you are in the wrong forum?
    POTE is an expert in generalizations. You need not worry.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    To be fair, the lack of acknowledgement is mutual.

In UA mutants are under more attack, in UXM they are getting positive rallies. Neither book acknowledges the other and no one else is noticing UXM's revolution (which IS supposed to be a line-wide kind of thing, a revolution in only one book is silly).

I'm ok with UA being self-contained. A lot of books are. It's an Avengers team focusing on mutant issues, so it was never going to be the flagship of either line and I wasn't expecting it to dictate X-books status quo (or A-books, either).
    ANXM, Legacy, and WaTXM have all mentioned the revolution, and ANXM have also showed the positive effect it was having.