Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default TV shows you remember that no-one else does

Have you ever had that experience where you start talking about a TV show you remember from your youth and everyone else looks at you like you're crazy?

I get that reaction when I ask people if they remember a sitcom where a talking monkey was President of the United States.

After doing some internet research I think I've narrowed it down to "Mr Smith" (1983), a live-action sitcom where an orangutan gains super intelligence and becomes a clandestine political adviser in Washington D.C. (though not actually the President.) For some strange reason it was cancelled after 13 episodes. Clearly ahead of it's time.

What are your half-remembered gems?
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Shinzo. There could be more lol.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Shinzo. There could be more lol.
    I remember those, too. Fun times. Caught up with VR Troopers a decade later with the magic of YouTube. And now that virtual reality is coming closer to being reality . . .

I'll throw my hat into the ring. Silver Surfer.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Here Come the Double Deckers; a British kids show, shown on American tv on Saturday morning, in the very early 70s. The kids had a clubhouse, built out of a derelict double-decker bus, in a junkyard.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

gimmie a break, misfits of science, Woops (1992), the wizard 1986,
    Pinwheel, the third eye both nickelodeon

third eye.jpg

the third eye gave me my first taste of horror storytelling and I have been hooked ever since.
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 11-09-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Me and the Chimp (1972)

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Here Come the Double Deckers; a British kids show, shown on American tv on Saturday morning, in the very early 70s. The kids had a clubhouse, built out of a derelict double-decker bus, in a junkyard.

I actually did remember that show; I want to say it aired around 1972?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    After doing some internet research I think I've narrowed it down to "Mr Smith" (1983), a live-action sitcom where an orangutan gains super intelligence and becomes a clandestine political adviser in Washington D.C. (though not actually the President.) For some strange reason it was cancelled after 13 episodes. Clearly ahead of it's time.
    That sounds spectacularly dreadful!

Amazing Member

I always enjoyed Diedrich Bader, funny guy. But if I ever met him, I'd love to say that I remember him as "The Searcher". I don't know why that cracked me up so much at the time, or why it has stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post

I remember that one, too! It only lasted like four or five episodes, right? But it was good.

Spectacular Member

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Have you ever had that experience where you start talking about a TV show you remember from your youth and everyone else looks at you like you're crazy?

I get that reaction when I ask people if they remember a sitcom where a talking monkey was President of the United States.

What are your half-remembered gems?
    so this was an attempt to do "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp" again?

threads like this inevitably tend to be self-defeating as SOMEBODY else is bound to remember. but that's also half the fun. ;-)

I remember Manimal being pretty stupid... a show that existed only to see how he would transform from a person into an animal. it felt more like an audition for cinema than an actual TV show with characters and a story. I think it made, all of four episodes or something, before it got killed.

I'm sure people remember this-- but I remember a really horrible show called "Profit" that was too 'clever' and contrived by half. it's not that you can't make a show that focuses on the villain... but they DO still need to have legitimate struggles and character arcs instead of using their one-and-done-per episode villains like toilet paper before throwing them away. it was too smug and self assured in it's own conceit to really win me over. "Breaking Bad" and other shows did a much better job with the same concept as 'villain-as-protagonist'.

One show I remember, although I don't remember anything about it was Roar, featuring the late Heath Ledger.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

All-New Member

Okay, maybe some old schoolers can help me out with this one as it has been bugging me for decades. I believe this was a miniseries in the early 80's. I don't remember to much, it was a parody of sci fi/superhero. I remember about was that the hero had some kind of ship that he used to chase the villain. The one thing that is the stand out for me was that the villain was stealing peoples hair/toupees that he was using to hatch somkind eggs.
    Like i said this has been bugging me for decades, people look at me like I'm crazy anytime I've brought it up (after reading my description I can understand why). I've tried looking it up on the internets, but google asked what the hell I was talking about.