Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Later season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Masquerade
    Something of a twist on Mission: Impossible, where the three regulars are joined by normal civilians with skills useful for the missions.

The only reason I remember this show was because Kirstie Alley was really hot back then.

Anybody else remember Deadly Games? It was a show where a guy programmed a videogame using exaggerated versions of people from his real life as the villains only for those villians to come out of the game and start causing chaos in the real world. The main villain was played by Christopher Lloyd who wore a white suit.

Incredible Member

Masquerade
    Something of a twist on Mission: Impossible, where the three regulars are joined by normal civilians with skills useful for the missions.

I remember it launching at the same time as Automan.
    They both crashed and burned pretty fast, but Automan has been slowly gaining in cult status from 80s nostalgia.

Another video in the next post.
    I remember the title song being sung by country singer Crystal Gayle.

Retired

Remember FOREVER KNIGHT, about a Toronto cop who's a vampire? Here in Canada it aired late at night, near midnight, so I only saw it if I stayed up late. Maybe it was considered too horrific for prime time--also it had some nudity, so that would be another reason. If I stayed up late, I could always count on finding full frontal nudity on Canadian TV--it's like we could only express our European sensibility after 11 o'clock at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I remember the title song being sung by country singer Crystal Gayle.
    Yes!
    Someone else remembers! :-)
    Thank you!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Remember FOREVER KNIGHT, about a Toronto cop who's a vampire? Here in Canada it aired late at night, near midnight, so I only saw it if I stayed up late. Maybe it was considered too horrific for prime time--also it had some nudity, so that would be another reason. If I stayed up late, I could always count on finding full frontal nudity on Canadian TV--it's like we could only express our European sensibility after 11 o'clock at night.
    I remember it, but I don't think I ever watched it.
    I doubt they had the nudity here, though, even that late.
    I don't even think they would bother blurring it back then, they'd just cut it out for more commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Let's counter the scares with cartoons!
    I recently did a free trial on Newspapers.com just so I could save copies of the Saturday morning and the daily afternoon line-ups in the '80s. I now have an accurate glimpse of what shows played when I watched tv as a kid.

It seems I remembered most of them all, but there were some shows that I watched later on TBS that sort of got lumped in with them retroactively. Munsters and Addams Family were two that I didn't see until later that my memory had attached to my youth.

As for some things I watched back then...

Saturday mornings was almost always ABC. Scooby Doo, Laff-a-lympics, Wacky Races, Superfriends...

Weekdays were mostly Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Batman '66, Adventures of Superman, Superfriends, Kroft Superstars and Banana Splits.

The Bionic Six

Retired

I remember it, but I don't think I ever watched it.
    I doubt they had the nudity here, though, even that late.
    I don't even think they would bother blurring it back then, they'd just cut it out for more commercials.
    I believe FOREVER KNIGHT was broadcast in prime time on CBS. They must've cut the graphic content--which they could have done, because we had less commercials in Canada, so they would have to cut the show anyway to allow more commercials in the States.

On SCTV, they had to create more content for the Canadian broadcast, which is how they came up with the Great White North. It was just them riffing on the most stereotypically Canadian things, as a way of mocking the Canadian content regulations. But this proved so popular that they started including that in the American broadcast, which resulted in Bob & Doug mania for a time. Take off, eh.

Masquerade
    If you actually watch this intro, at :30 you'll see the very first apple phone!! This show was way ahead of its time.(ah, spycraft...)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet because I haven't scrolled through the whole thread but MANTIS. About a scientist in a wheelchair who invents a suit that let's him be a super hero. It only aired for one season on Fox. Another one is Strange Luck about a guy who has weird luck. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Both from the mid-nineties. Although I don't remember much about it: VR5.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112209/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108843/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112182/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Oh, and Project Geeker!:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115324/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Last edited by superduperman; 04-12-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If you actually watch this intro, at :30 you'll see the very first apple phone!! This show was way ahead of its time.(ah, spycraft...)
    LOL!
    Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I believe FOREVER KNIGHT was broadcast in prime time on CBS. They must've cut the graphic content--which they could have done, because we had less commercials in Canada, so they would have to cut the show anyway to allow more commercials in the States.

On SCTV, they had to create more content for the Canadian broadcast, which is how they came up with the Great White North. It was just them riffing on the most stereotypically Canadian things, as a way of mocking the Canadian content regulations. But this proved so popular that they started including that in the American broadcast, which resulted in Bob & Doug mania for a time. Take off, eh.
    I did a little research..

Here in the states, it debuted as part of CBS's late-nite feature called 'Crimetime After Primetime', airing at 12:30am Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings.

The show was cancelled after one season and the Crimetime feature was dropped the following year to make room for David Letterman.

Meanwhile, after being cancelled, Forever Knight went into first-run syndication where stations could pick it up and play it outside of their normal network schedules.
    And then for it's third season it was picked up by the USA Network (along with Silk Stalkings, another Crimetime show).

I may have seen it listed in the tv guide during its second and third seasons.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Outlaws
    A one season wonder from the late 80’s with as crazy a premise as you can imagine: In the Old West, Texas to be precise, a sheriff (Rod Taylor of The Birds) tracks down an outlaw gang (including character actor Charles Napier and Richard Roundtree from Shaft) into an indian graveyard where they’re zapped by lightning and magically transported into 20th century Houston where they start a detective agency. Goofy as hell, but I enjoyed it.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!