Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

This show lasted all of eight episodes — and the second half aired a full year-and-a-half later! (This was in '96-97.)

Cover-up, with jennifer O'Neal and John Eric Hexum. Good series, with great chemistry with the leads, which suffered the horrible tragedy of Hexum accidently shooting himself in the head with a prop pistol (it was a .44, with blanks,; but, he put it to his head and fired and the blank wad was launched into his skull, killing him). They recast with a new character, played by Anthony Hamilton. Had a decent cover version of Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero" for the theme:

Another, Masquerade, with Rod Taylor. Sort of a Mission Impossible clone:

Code Name: Fox Fire, with the always lovely Joanna Cassidy:

Here's one that NOBODY I know of remembers. It was a neat little "gothic comedy" if that is possible, kind of a mix between "Dark Shadows" and "Soap". I am pretty sure it only lasted about five or six episodes. 1979.

The show was cancelled pretty early, but during the time when Lost was mega-popular, a lot of other networks attempted to create their own "what the hell is going on?" type shows. One of them was Surface. I caught a few episodes of the show and thought it was pretty good, but kept forgetting the day it would air on TV. After a few weeks, I heard it was cancelled.

It's one of those shows that I think had a lot of promise, but easily forgotten.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    The show was cancelled pretty early, but during the time when Lost was mega-popular, a lot of other networks attempted to create their own "what the hell is going on?" type shows. One of them was Surface. I caught a few episodes of the show and thought it was pretty good, but kept forgetting the day it would air on TV. After a few weeks, I heard it was cancelled.

It's one of those shows that I think had a lot of promise, but easily forgotten.
    Yep, that one had promise. Another one during the same time period was "Threshold".

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post

I have all 15 episodes of this on dvd. I thought the discovery of a new sub-aquatic species was an interesting premise and Lake Bell was gorgeous in an off-beat kind of way.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Does anyone else remember "Sable", based on the Jon Sable: Freelance comics by Mike Grell? It wasn't great (they turned him into a pacifist vigilante instead of a mercenary) but it led me to the comics, which are much better. I think Rene Russo was in it too.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Does anyone else remember "Sable", based on the Jon Sable: Freelance comics by Mike Grell? It wasn't great (they turned him into a pacifist vigilante instead of a mercenary) but it led me to the comics, which are much better. I think Rene Russo was in it too.
    Yep, I do. It was very short lived but I taped a couple of the episodes and I thought there were pretty good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    Another, Masquerade, with Rod Taylor. Sort of a Mission Impossible clone:

Mashed with the Love Boat or Fantasy Island with all the guest stars every week playing tourists turned into amateur spies.

Retired

I remember many TV shows from the '60s and '70s that probably not many here would know, because they didn't last for very long and they were so very long ago.

There were several half hour sit com/dramedies about young adults--either in dating relationships or just starting out in marriage.

There was IT'S A MAN'S WORLD (1962), starring Glen Corbett, Michael Burns, Ted Bessell and Randy Boone as four young college guys living on a houseboat on the Ohio River and their various love lives and trials. They only got 19 episodes--very much ahead of its time in its depiction of young adults.

HANK (1965) was a recently orphaned young man played by Dick Kallman, taking care of his younger sister. He was an unregistered student at college and had to impersonate several different people to get jobs and put himself through school and maintain custody of his sister. He was dating the daughter of the registrar. The series was actually close ended, coming to a satisfying conclusion after 26 episodes.

OCCASIONAL WIFE (1966) had the fun premise that, to get ahead at his company, a man lies to his boss (who believes in family values) and says he has a wife. He then has to produce said wife and gets a hat check girl to pose as his wife. She obtains a Manattan apartment two floors above him. I remember it was always funny when she would have to go up and down the fire escape to climb in his window, pretending to be the wife. The man in the middle, the guy in the apartment on the floor between them, would see her going up and down. This starred Michael Callan and Patricia Hartly for 30 episodes.

LOVE ON A ROOFTOP (1966) starred Pete Duel and Judy Carne as newlyweds, who have little money but get a windowless flat in San Francisco--and they can climb out onto the roof. Rich Little played their neighbour. It lasted 30 episodes. Judy Carne went on to LAUGH-IN where she became famous for saying "Sock it to me."

HE & SHE (1967) starred the lovable Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss as the lovable young marrieds Dick and Paula for 26 episodes. Dick is a cartoonist. Paula is a social worker. Dick's strip is "Jetman" which itself is adapted as a TV show starring a ham actor played by Jack Cassidy.

BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (1970) was based on the Neil Simon play--which should have ensured it a longer run than its 12 episodes. It was one of the first sitcoms to star a predominantly black cast. Scoey Mitchell and Tracy Reed played the young marrieds, Paul and Corie. Nipsey Russell ran the local pool hall.

THE GIRL WITH SOMETHING EXTRA (1973) could be lumped in with shows like BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE, but it was much more in the realm of credibilty--a funny version of MEDIUM. John and Sally are a young married couple and Sally has ESP. It's surprising that this series only lasted one season because it starred John Davidson as John and Sally Field as Sally. More teeth and dimples than you could fit on a Phillips TV set. It's unfathomable that this series only lasted one season (22 episodes).

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Darkwing Duck, wouldnt say no one remembers it but Darkwing Duck and gargoyles were part of my childhood that never got theyre due imo.

90's toon series with more then 50 episodes is a decent run.. and both series really had a good end run season

Mighty Member

I'd like to see Camp Runamuck on dvd. What was that 1966 show about the guy who overhears mob bosses planning a hit, with the codename "Chicken Little", and he's on the run from everybody?

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Eerie Indiana

All souls hospital

Freaky Links