Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What the heck Rucka!? A panty shot in my Wonder Woman comics!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    (Also, I imagine she'll say Barbara Ann until she is told "Just call me Barbara." She's just being formal/respectful. But I hope that convo happens soon too. haha)
    I don't think so, since she calls her Barbara Ann in The Lies as well. I think that's just what Barb goes by now.

I was annoyed by it initially, but now I like that it distinguishes her from the much-more-famous Barbara Gordon.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think so, since she calls her Barbara Ann in The Lies as well. I think that's just what Barb goes by now.

I was annoyed by it initially, but now I like that it distinguishes her from the much-more-famous Barbara Gordon.
    It all could have been avoided if they just gave her the Priscilla Rich name back. Nobody else is named Priscilla in DC.

Unlike Cylvia Cyber, which sucks, I never got the need to change the civilian I.Ds for some of the villains post-Crisis. Same with Helen Alexandros > Valerie Beaudry or Maxwell Jensen > Rudy Jones over in Superman.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Great art but the story was kind of slow & dull. I think they could have condensed this into 1/3 of the issue and given us more movement in the actual plot.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I laughed when Steve took off his shirt. Is this going to be a theme, where every time there is a conflict he has to take a moment to go shirtless?

This was one of the weakest so far. There was just not much happening is the pacing seemed a bit off. Good art, though.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-10-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I laughed when Steve took off his shirt. Is this going to be a theme, where every time there is a conflict he has to take a moment to go shirtless?
    Lol probably, I guess they have to counterbalance the overabundance of cheescake in the industry by having Steve go shirtless at every opportunity. It's half the reason he's even here, tbh.

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    What the heck Rucka!? A panty shot in my Wonder Woman comics!
    My thoughts too when I saw that.
    I wanted to make a stink on Twitter #ImWithCho . . . but I forgot.
    Wonderfully Superb

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It all could have been avoided if they just gave her the Priscilla Rich name back. Nobody else is named Priscilla in DC.

Unlike Cylvia Cyber, which sucks, I never got the need to change the civilian I.Ds for some of the villains post-Crisis. Same with Helen Alexandros > Valerie Beaudry or Maxwell Jensen > Rudy Jones over in Superman.
    Nobody now adays are called Priscilla, period

I am pretty sure the changes are done simply because DC and creators back then recognized that neither they or the fans would accept these old characters but with massively changed personalities. Like, would old school WW readers accept Priscilla Rich as a murderous werecat? I kinda doubt it, but I think DC and creators kinda forgot this lesson... untill the New 52 reminded them; fans don't like changes like this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    I understand what you mean, but I don't see the powers as a faulty pace. The Minerva Issue, yes, I think it could be condesed in four-five pages. This one was fine, to me.

The good: bullet-time panels, masterfully done, even more dramatic in one-panel-a-time Comixology; women equality agenda showed more subtly: maybe the team learned they don’t need to stop telling the tale to pass worthy ideas; great introduction to many elements of Wonder Woman mythos; fantastic integration with the “Lies” arc.
    The bad: …nothing, really. Very pleased with the issue.
    The question: is there a creative rule demanding a Trevor pin-up every other issue?
    Nicola Scott has said to my face that she tries to get his shirt off at every opportunity [yes, I have spoken with her here in Brisbane ] so - yes, I think it is an unspoken rule. LOL

Personally I am all in favor.

I calculate Diana to be moving at at least 600 mph when she rushes to intercept the bullets fired at the family - and damn that double page looks great. I am gonna get that signed!

No negatives at all in this issue that I can think of. Awesome!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

The art was indeed beautiful, especially the "faster than a speeding bullet" panels. I enjoyed their finally solving the language problem, thanks to the lasso. But most of all I acutally liked the "gifts" explanation. After all, Steve told the C.O. that Diana couldn't have ripped open a prison cell, back on the island. These are powers, most still undiscovered (as Barbara Ann notes when Diana flies), that have just now been bestowed to her by the specific gods who visited her in animal form on the previous night. So she now has the speed of Hermes, etc. SHAZAM!

Extraordinary Member

It also gives Rucka some wiggle room with exactly what the powers are. Strength, speed durability and flight are all staples but thinks like a loving heart and wisdom are more ambiguous.

It will also be interesting to see if they explain the vulnerability to weapons - maybe something to do with the snake bite from Ares? Certain kinds of weapons favored by the war God could then be her "Achilles heel".
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Nicola Scott's art is gorgeous as always, but Year One is falling short for me. It just doesn't feel like the ultimate origin story for Diana, especially after Legend of Wonder Woman and Earth One.

All those dead soldiers on Paradise Island, her getting her powers in jail and making her debut in a mall shooting were some pretty weird choices...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Nicola Scott's art is gorgeous as always, but Year One is falling short for me. It just doesn't feel like the ultimate origin story for Diana, especially after Legend of Wonder Woman and Earth One.

All those dead soldiers on Paradise Island, her getting her powers in jail and making her debut in a mall shooting were some pretty weird choices...
    Agreed.
    It's not even that it's been bad. Just surprisingly underwhelming for a "Let's Start Over" story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

There is an odd contrast between Wonder Woman being adorable and some fairly significant displays of violence, even for a modern Wonder Woman comic. My major problem with this origin story has always been the apparent lack of innovation on Rucka's part. It feels very much like a Perez revamp, especially when compared to the cache of Wonder Woman origin stories floating about these days.

Now though I am beginning to suspect just how 'independent' this story is. It feels very like the 'origin' story and 'contemporary' story are going to play off one another. There is also a significant lack of direction here, I mean, we haven't been introduced to the main villain! I think the solicits spoiled that Aries is the big bad, but he isn't here... Last weeks Barbara issue, though I enjoyed it, feels very disjointed when compared to the rest of this story too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It feels very much like a Perez revamp, especially when compared to the cache of Wonder Woman origin stories floating about these days.
    I don't consider that a bad thing at all. The new WW origin stories, such as her being the demigod offspring of Zeus, seem like a heretical schism from the long-established "truth". It would be like being told that Superman didn't come to earth from Krypton but was a mutant created on earth when a solar-energy experiment went awry. Sure, it's a possible explanation for the established facts, but it's just not right!