Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superwoman #4 Discussion

... Wow

Ok, so. Lana believes at first that the Lois she's seeing is all some nightmare... but this Lois keeps sticking around and helping Lana investigate even though Lana is the only one that can see her. This investigation gives them some clues on to what's going on with the prisons. Natasha leaves them cause she's getting more and more horried that Traci hasn't been responding.

Later, Steel and Lana keep running test after test to see what's going on with her but they all say she's gonna die. Just when despair grips Lana, Traci 13 appears out of a portal, in a panic, saying Metropolis is dying and it has something to do with Lena.

all the while, Lex is trapped in a box.

Art is good as always, and the Lois/Lana dynamic really brings me back to the first issue. 8/10, for me.

Another half fake cover.. Superman didn´t appear..

Even dead, she's still here... Although I suppose that when this saga ends she would disappear.. I like Traci(is cute) and Natasha current hairstyles.. Better than in the first cover of superwoman..

Hmmm... For Traci and Lana words... I must understand that because Lena's fault those statistics are exaggerated and fake?

Lex Luthor is making superbabies .. hahaha.. No, he needs a Super-woman for that, now he is alone... Poor.. FINALLY.. In the next chapter the battle begins..

WHO IS THAT MURDOCH? the man in prison..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-10-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Another half fake cover.. Superman didn´t appear..

Even dead, she's still here... Although I suppose that when this saga ends she would disappear.. I like Traci(is cute) and Natasha current hairstyles.. Better than in the first cover of superwoman..

Hmmm... For Traci and Lana words... I must understand that because Lena's fault those statistics are exaggerated and fake?

Lex Luthor is making superbabies .. hahaha.. No, he needs a Super-woman for that, now he is alone... Poor.. FINALLY.. In the next chapter the battle begins..

WHO IS THAT MURDOCH? the man in prison..
    He's Savior.

BANNED

Yup.

Digging this.

Disappointed tho that the 90's revival has extended to Superwoman. Can't have it all.

Reviews for Superwoman not only continue to decline in the quantity of reviews posted, but also in the quality those reviews ascribe to each subsequent issue. One review for the most recent issue, the worst reviewed yet, sums up some of the series' problems:

The sharp decline of the quality of writing continues as the issue is filled with hyperbolic outbursts, incredibly quick transitions, and an overwhelmed plotline with underwhelming content. I’m sure you’re thinking “OK Tyler, tell me how you really feel”, but I’m frustrated with how quickly this series went from impressive to subpar in just four issues. The amount of plotlines and subplots created from issue #1 was simply too much to maintain and rather than focusing on seeing them through, the creative team has taken on even more by drawing material from other series (Action Comics) which is the last thing it needs. Between Lena’s rise, Luthor’s fall, Lana’s mental stability, her eventual death, old Lois’ death, new Lois, Steel’s niece, Atomic Skull’s accusations, and Traci 13 — there’s simply too much going on and it has become distracting rather than engaging.

The mood of the book, the characters it chooses to focus on, and its lack of focus creates distance between the reader and the story, making it difficult to follow and invest in what is happening. Other than Lupacchino's art, this book is an ever worsening mess.

I can totally understand the reviewers complaints, actually. But I, personally, still like it. I'm just a fan of multiple plot threads coinciding into one whole and compressed reading material. Makes me feel like I didn't waste my money.

But I also notice a big discrepancy in reviews. Seems rather mixed. Always see 9s and 8s. It's all a matter of opinion.

Astonishing Member

If it can be tied back into an overall arc, it shouldn't be a problem.

BANNED

I really enjoy the many layers this book has.

I like that there's a burgeoning cast ready to tell stories with.

This book has serious depth and it's only 4 issues in. Considering some of the vapidity that's on sale month after month, it's enjoyable to have something to get hooked into.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I can totally understand the reviewers complaints, actually. But I, personally, still like it. I'm just a fan of multiple plot threads coinciding into one whole and compressed reading material. Makes me feel like I didn't waste my money.

But I also notice a big discrepancy in reviews. Seems rather mixed. Always see 9s and 8s. It's all a matter of opinion.
    I like that kind of variety and density too, but it's not an easy task for a writer to pull off successfully. It requires skilled execution, and it seems that for some Jimenez is throwing a lot of ingredients into the mix but they don't blend as well as they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    If it can be tied back into an overall arc, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Why not? People buy these comics with their hard earned money; each issue should be worth their investment. I don't know if a cool wrap up excuses a lackluster journey to that conclusion.

Amazing Member

Great issue. I'm hoping it's New 52 Lois's subconscious and not all in Lana's head - means New 52 Supes is till out there somewhere.

Who is Traci 13? I don't remember her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I like that kind of variety and density too, but it's not an easy task for a writer to pull off successfully. It requires skilled execution, and it seems that for some Jimenez is throwing a lot of ingredients into the mix but they don't blend as well as they need to.
    Fair. I guess this way is just a more preferred style for me

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Great issue. I'm hoping it's New 52 Lois's subconscious and not all in Lana's head - means New 52 Supes is till out there somewhere.

Who is Traci 13? I don't remember her at all.
    She's a magician that uses "city magic" making her connected to metropolis

BANNED

Superwoman, and New Super-Man are the Super books I can rely on to be consistently great. Supergirl would probably be on the list too if I were reading it, but while I'm subscribed to it, I'm going to take my time getting started on it.

Jimenez is packing 'Superwoman' with a lot of ideas, but I worry the series will be cancelled and most of it won't get to the point where it amounts to something. Right now it's more substantive that what's in the Superman books, but it's still mostly background dressing.

Lana's conversation with Lois about what happens to portrayal of women that gain power was brief and it's the kind of thing I want explored more in this book. One thing that has me worried is Lana's anxiety, and that Jimenez might write her relying on her medication as a weakness. Lana herself says she won't apologize for them, and conflict regarding her medication seems to be telling her loved ones that she's on medication and worried about how they might respond, but with the track record of how these things have been portrayed in media has me worried.

I was going to write a long post about how much more important this book became and why it and Supergirl are now the two most important books of the Super line, especially after Jurgen's recent comments regarding the election and the response to it, but I'll keep things brief and say that DC needs to keep this book going despite how far it drops in sales and they need to give Jimenez free reign to do whatever he wants with this book. Jimenez and Orlando are not only the most socially and politically conscious writers working on the Super line today, but they are two of the most socially and politically conscious writers working for DC overall. Let them do as they please, because what they have to say is now paramount to contributing through comics to much needed cultural shift.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    She's a magician that uses "city magic" making her connected to metropolis
    Thx. Was she in previous issues of Superwoman?