Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I won't be surprised if DC does SOMETHING to reference it but I don't know. It's not something that happens in the same way as it might in Marvel.

DC's political but rarely in a way that would use actual Presidential nominees in the present. Maybe some kind of close stand in...

I mean Earth 2 sort of had who seemed to be Hillary Clinton as President some years back when the series began simply to show how alternate Earth 2 was. Never even saw that President speak to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i can't see batwoman's solo avoiding this issue when Mike Pence(Trump's VP)Wants to electrocute gays to death
    Really?

Care to say what exactly he said and when he said it?
    (And where you got this little nugget of info from?)

I think that is more of a Marvel thing, especially since a lot of Marvel authors are receiving the news quite poorly.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Really?

He doesn't like gays, but he obviously never said he wanted to execute them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    He doesn't like gays, but he obviously never said he wanted to execute them.
    he just wants to send them away to camps where they can be trained to not be gay

I hope not. I don't mind political messages or themes in comics, but overt political references to current event do little but date a story. Very rarely does mentioning a new president or what have you add any relevancy or substance to a story.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I hope not. I don't mind political messages or themes in comics, but overt political references to current event do little but date a story. Very rarely does mentioning a new president or what have you add any relevancy or substance to a story.
    when all minorities are scared shitless about the new president and his VP i think it's gotta be acknowledged you gotta ignore it and pretend it's not there because it is

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Artists should be free to express themselves. Plus, it suits certain characters to have quasi-real world opinions. Superman would be against right wing agendas, Batman wouldn't stand by as Gotham PD shot unarmed civilians.

Superman would be a great place to tell modern stories about wealth and power, in a fictional set up. It is too focused on its own garbage heap of continuity to tell ANY story, though.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It also depends how far in advance they work on issues / story arcs.
    They may not be able just to squeeze in a reference without making it as abysmal as The Penguin / Donald Trump bit was in the Catwoman: Election Night one-shot was.
    It was too blatant. They needed a different but similar catchphrase for Penguin.

when all minorities are scared shitless about the new president and his VP i think it's gotta be acknowledged you gotta ignore it and pretend it's not there because it is
    I don't like any modern references in comics that may artificially date the story. What benefit do disgruntled voters get out of reading what would likely be poorly done commentary on the election. I doubt many writers have the skill to pull it off, and even if they could, why? Superheroes comics are a form of escapism first and foremost. Again, political themes are fine and may even add to a story, but what does putting Donald Trump in a story do for it other than artificially date it.

What more do comic creators have to add to the discussion?
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-09-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

it's not about adding to a discussion it's about addressing the important issues at hand with a madman like trump running the country

If A Mexican Neighbor and his friend were sent kicking and screaming back to mexico You'd wish you did more than simply standing by and doing nothing about it

when it's terrifying to be someone who isn't a straight white male you know it's not a good time to simply ignore what's happening around you especially when writing minority characters like batwoman
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 11-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.

i can't see batwoman's solo avoiding this issue when Mike Pence(Trump's VP)Wants to electrocute gays to death
    Really?

Does this clarify things?

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/[/url]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia
    CLAIM: Mike Pence supported "gay conversion" therapy, which involves the use of electroshock therapy.

MIXTURE
    WHAT'S TRUE: Mike Pence once supported the use of federal funding to treat people "seeking to change their sexual behavior."

WHAT'S FALSE: Pence never stated that he supported the use of electric shocks or "gay conversion" therapy.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 11-09-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Does this clarify things?

http://www.snopes.com/mike-pence-supported-gay-conversion-therapy/[/url]
    Well, I sort of found that by a quick Google search myself, but I wanted to see what Chrysalis_Changling had to say that caused the statement
    when Mike Pence(Trump's VP)Wants to electrocute gays to death

BANNED

All minorities? If blacks are afraid of him when he's said nothing to them but try to reach out, they deserve whatever they get and I'm further embarrassed to be one of them.

it's not about adding to a discussion it's about addressing the important issues at hand with a madman like trump running the country

If A Mexican Neighbor and his friend were sent kicking and screaming back to mexico You'd wish you did more than simply standing by and doing nothing about it

when it's terrifying to be someone who isn't a straight white male you know it's not a good time to simply ignore what's happening around you especially when writing minority characters like batwoman
    Trump is not a madman. He has views that differ from yours.

If the person was here illegally, the only thing I would wish I had done more is urge them to become a citizen

Nowhere did Pence say he wanted to kill gays. You may disagree with his point of view, and his method to advance his point of view, but in his eyes, he is trying to help LGB individuals

This sort of demonization is based on ignorance and doesn't help anything. Look, I didn't want Trump to be president either, but it's these sort of remarks that got him in office. Calling roughly half of Americans bigots, racists, mysoginists, and hateful, especially when many of them simply are not those things, doesn't rally them to your cause. It tends to rally them against you
    Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory