Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I must comment on this Duke hate, I understand it because to this day I hate Tim Drake from his first appearance to his fake death,may he burn in comic book Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Never cared for (KG)Beast until this series.
    Agreed, what a weird little revival this character has had, between this and his role in BvS. Also, I think Duke is totally fine(I don't even mind Harper Row either) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mighty Member

I enjoyed this issue, it is silly and fun which is a change from Snyder's Batman run. I was always willing to give Duke a chance and so far I am liking him more with each issue, I also think there have been some nice developments in his backup which I am enjoying a lot.

Amazing how Duke has more personality in four issues than Tim Drake has ever had in twenty years. Loving this series so far!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue. It was fun. KGBeast continues to be cool and different, given some new life.

It's interesting to see Harvey and Two-Face so dual, so separate. I don't think I've ever seen it done quite like this before (in modern comics). This is like Dressed To Kill (starring Michael Caine) level duality here.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-11-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Amazing how Duke has more personality in four issues than Tim Drake has ever had in twenty years. Loving this series so far!
    lmao

if I have ever seen a troll post, this is it.

I reread it today and I liked both halves even thought the main half was stronger. I'm really curious about what Harvey's endgame is and what Alfred's secret is. I prefer Shalvey to JRJR but he still did good work.

On the backup the end is anticlimatic but its a nice character beat for Duke and I like the idea of the cursed wheel so I'm hoping that sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I reread it today and I liked both halves even thought the main half was stronger. I'm really curious about what Harvey's endgame is and what Alfred's secret is. I prefer Shalvey to JRJR but he still did good work.

On the backup the end is anticlimatic but its a nice character beat for Duke and I like the idea of the cursed wheel so I'm hoping that sticks around.
    It kinda sucks that Batman showed up and saved his ass lol but Duke is new
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

How have we not talked about the new info about this wheel thing? Or did I miss it?

This:

Wheel.JPG

Now that each color is associated with someone, any guesses as to what they signify? i recall Snyder mentioning in an interview that black represents detective work, so having Tim's color be that works. Red for Jason... something to do with use of violence or force would be an easy guess, but that's of course not been revealed yet.

What else?
    Last edited by Caivu; 11-12-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    How have we not talked about the new info about this wheel thing? Or did I miss it?

This:

Wheel.JPG

Now that each color is associated with someone, any guesses as to what they signify?
    Looks like basically their costume color. Slightly disappointed. If there is an in story reasoning, it'll probably be through backwards construction.

Dick wears blue, so blue is hopeful.

Jason is Red Hood, so he's red, which can be angry.

Damian wears red and green, but red is taken, so he's green.

Red and green are taken, so Tim is black. (Though maybe black for Tim because he is for all they know dead. )

Batgirl's costume is purple, so she is purple.

All other colors Kate wears are taken, but she's pale, so she's white.

Duke wears yellow, and nobody else on the wheel is yellow.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-12-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

This:

Wheel.JPG

Now that each color is associated with someone, any guesses as to what they signify? i recall Snyder mentioning in an interview that black represents detective work, so having Tim's color be that works. Red for Jason... something to do with use of violence or force would be an easy guess, but that's of course not been revealed yet.

What else?
    Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Looks like basically their costume color. Slightly disappointed. If there is an in story reasoning, it'll probably be through backwards construction.

Dick wears blue, so blue is hopeful.

Jason is Red Hood, so he's red, which can be angry.

Damian wears red and green, but red is taken, so he's green.

Red and green are taken, so Tim is black. (Though maybe black for Tim because he is for all they know dead. )

Batgirl's costume is purple, so she is purple.

All other colors Kate wears are taken, but she's pale, so she's white.

Duke wears yellow, and nobody else on the wheel is yellow.
    Basically seems like that's the answer, it does seem kind of lazy....
    Also, what's with all the random orange in the colour wheel? Is this a problem with the colour balance on my monitor? A colouring error? Or is orange like the super secret seventh level to all this bullshit? It seems odd that an idea based solely on six colours, has a seventh colour randomly thrown in, that's not you know, yellow, like Duke's costume.

something is just not connecting for me, I love the art, but it just doesn't seem to mesh with the writing at all.

As i am turning pages, its just not flowing properly.

doesn't help that Snyder turns to the past and changes things way too much

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    The fact that Duke is black makes his experience in the world completely different from all white Robins. Thats a much different voice if you ask me
    I think that's why i like him. But i think i'm getting tired of this book for different reasons. Every time i see the bat villains in full psycho mode, i keep hoping they'll get killed off and i'll never have to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So... Harvey's abusive dad is still alive, just locked up in a basement in Reno? Huh.

Duke's stuff is solid but I really want his training to be over so we can get a feel for what he's supposed to be like or do outside of being Robin-lite. I did like some of the panels in the second story, showcasing how even such a garishly yellow costume like his can be scary under certain circumstances.

I don't really get the correlation between Joker "attacking what he loves" and that somehow also applying to Joker Toxin. I mean, I guess it fits with Snyder's take on the character and how he plays up the Batman/Joker relationship and some of the romantic undertones on Joker's part, but when taken as a whole I just don't think it really fits. People usually don't even survive Joker Toxin anyways. It just makes them laugh and die with a big grin on their face, that's it.
    Where would you put him? Damian's running around without much parental supervision, and i'm finding him pretty obnoxious. I thought he could be the next batwing, but fox jr has that role sewed up. He tried it with the other robin wannabes and the less said anout that, the better. Where else could he go?

Quote Originally Posted by marcotheblerd View Post
    I get that many Tim Drake fans hate Duke, and need to constanly look for things to hate him for because they feel like he is another replacement of Tim, but Duke looks to be a character that will grow and evolve to be a hero on his own right, and that is what makes him stand apart in my opinion. Duke's "distinctive trait" is that he is not trying to be anyone's sidekick. He wants to get his training from Batman, so that he can operate as a hero on his own. He also has no problem calling Batman on his own ****, and does not hold in his thoughts. His backstory with his parents is very sympatetic, and the fact that they arent dead, and he still looks out for him is different from the other Robins. My biggest problem is his costume. The color is bad, and too many bat symbols. Give me something similar to his motorcycle jacket look from the Snyder series, and give him his own logo.
    I find it so strange that majority of this "Duke Hate" comes from Tim Drake fans and not fans of the current Robin. Any way I've been enjoying ASB and Duke is growing on me. I'm prepared to give him a chance.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-08-2016 at 11:01 AM.