View Poll Results: What did you think of UXM #15?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great issue.

35 71.43%
  • Meh issue.

13 26.53%
  • Bad issue.

1 2.04%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Uncanny X-Men #15 Review & Spoilers

Very Brief Synopsis
    >Psylocke takes out Omega Sentinels in Baltimore, Sauron in Cambodia, and the Nasty Boys in San Francisco thanks to info she gleamed from her time with Magneto. She wonders if Magneto let her see this information, and if he was planning to stop or recruit them [minus the Sentinels, naturally] or if he even sees a distinction between recruitment and neutralization.
    >Sinister, the X-Cutioner, and the Reavers also pop up as images of Psylocke's next possible targets.
    >Mystique has been following Psylocke on Magneto's orders but decides to murder Betsy instead. After getting the upper hand, Betsy does her own version of Sabretooth's inversion on Mystique, allowing Mystique to have more control over and feel remorse for her actions... though Mystique promises to kill Betsy later. Betsy wonders if her inverting Raven is the real reason Magneto sent Raven to shadow her in the first place.

Review
    >Fun issue. It's nice to see Psylocke's thought processes re: Magneto's maniulations and stopping threats to mutantkind. Pity we got nothing about Archangel.
    >I was hoping for more C list villain appearances so I was sad when Mystique showed up.
    >Now Mystique is basically inverted like Sabretooth, a condition that by the very nature of her constantly shapeshifting brain won't stick for long. I hope to see the further effects of this inversion on panel while it lasts.
    >While I realize that Magneto is a good manipulator, I can't help but wonder if Psylocke is being paranoid and giving him far too much credit.
    >Ibraim Roberson's art looks nothing like it did a few years ago on New Mutants and Generation Hope. Pity.

Favourite Panels
    I do SO hope we see these guys show up!
    ux1.jpg
    Way to lovingly lampshade Claremont's incessant focused totality usage, Bunn.
    ux2.jpg
    Nice action sequence, though the "GASP! His mutant poison gas breath! She's telekinetically thrown it in my... WHEEZE!" dialogue was a bit heavy-handed.
    ux3.jpg
    God bless the Nasty Boys, indeed.
    Last edited by nx01a; 11-09-2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

As said in another topic this issue was a solo performance with Pyslocke in great style .

Although he did not add anything to the plot he had great moments of action and a certain nostalgia for the fans.

Magneto and old Scott have a strange effect on the people around them even when they are absent everyone feels manipulated or being pieces on their board.
    Last edited by Knives; 11-09-2016 at 07:46 PM.

I love when one of the nasty boys threatens Psylocke and she just gives a wicked little smirk in response. This lady sure loves to beat up villains.

I'll admit that I like the explanation for Mystique's erratic actions/personality. Her being a bit crazy do to her brain constantly shifting just fits how shes been written over the years.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 11-09-2016 at 08:00 PM.

I wanted more of the Nasty Boys. after Exodus and the Dark Riders, this is really becoming a 90s free-for-all.

BANNED

The ONLY reason I voted Meh, was because i'm sick of Events. Books just cannot be books anymore. Overall the story was great and character driven, with nice nods, and Decent art from NOT Land.
    This Psylocke is the Elizabeth I've always loved, not the stupid non thinking action junkie ninja chick. I actually loved the short duration of her fight with Mystique. Anyone who has ever done actual physical combat knows, fights don't last that long.

Gorgeous Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The ONLY reason I voted Meh, was because i'm sick of Events. Books just cannot be books anymore.
    ...but this issue wasn't part of an event.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Great stuff as always.

Ultimate Member

Almost seems like a bit of a filler issue personally, and regardless of Betsy being the focal point of the issue it still all winds back up with Magneto being at the center whether he's actually in the issue or not...

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Art better than Lands?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    ...but this issue wasn't part of an event.
    Correct I should have added more. The IvX tie ins leave this book in a weird place for now. I'd rather a continuation of the main story, I'd be more excited if it was predicated as it's going into an event.

Mighty Member

This was a great issue and this how Betsy should have been written. Bunn has been doing an awesome job with her. While this story was about Betsy, it did bring something to the main story. Is Magneto still manipulating her by letting her have that intel? Did he send mystique to watch her, knowing she would go after Betsy and Psylocke would use her telepathy to fix her brain? Psylocke mentions all this. The events that happen in here will definitely be felt in the main storyline. Part of the main storyline was her leaving because she couldn't trust him 100%. This issue is an extension of that. I guess they could just carry on with the main plot and show only a page or two of Betsy, but this was a much better solution.

BANNED

NASTY BOYZz!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    NASTY BOYZz!!!!
    ♪I could learn to like this!♪
    ux4.jpg

Great issue! Loved the clash between Psylocke and Mystique. It actually has some pretty powerful implications in that it might actually offer a mechanism for making Mystique less inconsistent as a character. Ever since Mike Carey's run on X-men Legacy, Mystique has basically become the flattest, most boring character in the X-men comics. She's the complete antithesis of the Mystique we've been seeing in the movies, who has her own set of motivations and can navigate being both a hero and a villain. I usually don't like to favor the movies over the comics, but I make an exception for Mystique. Ever since Messiah Complex, she's basically been written as this mean, evil, sadistic character who exists only to torment the X-men for no apparent reason. There's no motivation. There's no depth to her hatred. It's like Brian K. Vaughn's solo series for the character never happened and that's a real shame. With this issue, Psylocke hinted that there's an actual mental reason why she acts this way. Perhaps by fixing it, it gives a chance for Mystique to become more well-rounded again. I hope it's not just an off-hand thing. I hope this is the catalyst for making Mystique interesting again. Cullen Bunn worked wonders for Magneto in making him well-rounded again. I hope he can do the same with Mystique.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great issue! Loved the clash between Psylocke and Mystique. It actually has some pretty powerful implications in that it might actually offer a mechanism for making Mystique less inconsistent as a character. Ever since Mike Carey's run on X-men Legacy, Mystique has basically become the flattest, most boring character in the X-men comics. She's the complete antithesis of the Mystique we've been seeing in the movies, who has her own set of motivations and can navigate being both a hero and a villain. I usually don't like to favor the movies over the comics, but I make an exception for Mystique. Ever since Messiah Complex, she's basically been written as this mean, evil, sadistic character who exists only to torment the X-men for no apparent reason. There's no motivation. There's no depth to her hatred. It's like Brian K. Vaughn's solo series for the character never happened and that's a real shame. With this issue, Psylocke hinted that there's an actual mental reason why she acts this way. Perhaps by fixing it, it gives a chance for Mystique to become more well-rounded again. I hope it's not just an off-hand thing. I hope this is the catalyst for making Mystique interesting again. Cullen Bunn worked wonders for Magneto in making him well-rounded again. I hope he can do the same with Mystique.
    Unfortunately even if it IS an attempt to fix her crazy, other writers are probably just going to ignore it.