View Poll Results: Is healthcare a human right?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 85.07%
  • No

10 14.93%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    t

I think there is a line somewhere, im just not sure what that is really.
    I agree. I run at-least 70 miles in a week, I'm in good shape but my knees will at one point give out on me and will need corrective surgery if I maintain what I'm doing. That is my doing and I should be responsible for it.
    Spending time in the Netherlands I really think the US should look at their health care system.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Universal Healthcare is a human right, and all needs should be met in full, including dental and counselling. Free of charge to the patient, in a single-payer system. And it needs to happen sooner rather than later. Globally. That means no-one left behind.

Health care is a right and paying taxes is a duty. Do both and everything will be alright.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I would say yes. Everyone has the right to live, weather they are rich or poor, black or white, man or woman, everyone desrves to have the best quality healthcare for themselves & their loved ones.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Yes (but only for people I like).

Yes. Too bad Trump and the GOP will make insurance impossible for many, unafordable for more, and useless for others.
    Medicare as we know it will soon be a thing of the past. (Replaced by useless vouchers). And Medicaid will shrink to almost nothing.

I think the original premise of the question is a bit off. For the sake of discussion...

An unalienable right is recognized (not granted) and does not require someone else be forced to provide it. It requires that it be recognized and not infringed. It also requires that it does not infringe on another's rights. ("Your rights end where mine begin").

I have a right to life but no right to force you to provide the means for me to live.

I have the right to bear arms but no right to force you to arm me.

I have the right to pursue happiness but no right to force you to make me happy.

I believe that the pursuit of good (or poor) health is an unalienable right that should be recognized. No one should impede that pursuit or infringe on that right. However, I do not believe that anyone should be forced to care for that health. Even the individual in question should not be forced to care for their own health if they choose not to. (Let them smoke, drink, do drugs, extreme sports -- whatever...)

This does not go to the question of "should we" or "how" or "how much" -- those are different discussions. It also doesn't answer the question of what we as a society believe is acceptable or not acceptable in terms of how we care for each person's health. The original question essentially asks if a right should be recognized that forces others to provide care for an individual's health. I don't believe such a right exists.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I can roll with all sorts of pre-screening and preventative measures.

All fatty fat backs needing knee replacements because she/he weights 400lbs rustles my jim jams. Or if fatty fat face needs quadruple bypass/gallbladder removed/ect.

do smokers get the same care for there lung cancer as fat soccer mom who got breast cancer?

Does an alcoholic get the same care for his liver as the same person who destroyed their liver with multiple prescribed medications? mental health care paid for? ect ect

I think there is a line somewhere, im just not sure what that is really.
    So just only people your intensely dislike (fat people, fat moms) or moderately dislike (alcoholics, smokers) are not deserving of health care? I think I see where your line is quite clearly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dorsai View Post
    I think the original premise of the question is a bit off. For the sake of discussion...

An unalienable right is recognized (not granted) and does not require someone else be forced to provide it. It requires that it be recognized and not infringed. It also requires that it does not infringe on another's rights. ("Your rights end where mine begin").

I have a right to life but no right to force you to provide the means for me to live.

I have the right to bear arms but no right to force you to arm me.

I have the right to pursue happiness but no right to force you to make me happy.

I believe that the pursuit of good (or poor) health is an unalienable right that should be recognized. No one should impede that pursuit or infringe on that right. However, I do not believe that anyone should be forced to care for that health. Even the individual in question should not be forced to care for their own health if they choose not to. (Let them smoke, drink, do drugs, extreme sports -- whatever...)

This does not go to the question of "should we" or "how" or "how much" -- those are different discussions. It also doesn't answer the question of what we as a society believe is acceptable or not acceptable in terms of how we care for each person's health. The original question essentially asks if a right should be recognized that forces others to provide care for an individual's health. I don't believe such a right exists.
    "No" would have sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    So just only people your intensely dislike (fat people, fat moms) or moderately dislike (alcoholics, smokers) are not deserving of health care? I think I see where your line is quite clearly.
    So you don't think that any one should have a personal responsibility or consequence for maintaining their own health?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Personally, I don't think that human rights exist, they are just something that we dreamed up. You aren't born with a right to anything, this is not our world and it sure as hell doesn't owe us anything. That said, I think that people are deserving of (not the same as having a right to) healthcare, especially if they contribute via insurance or taxes, although I (like most people I would think) have a desire for people not to suffer.

I would also add that I have built up savings to pay for my post grad education (UK, so free healthcare, well, by taxes). If somebody in America who can't afford healthcare and needs treatment needs the exact amount that I have saved, do I send them that money? No I don't, even though I think that they should be treated. I don't think that humans care enough for rights to exist, they are just something we throw out there to make it seem like we are protecting and caring for people.

Yes.

In today's world we can actually make sure that everyone is as healthy as possible. At first it would be hard because of preexisting conditions, but for the younger generations preventative care would solve so many issues. I also think mental health should also be a priority. No one should feel ashamed to get therapy or counseling, and it shouldn't be expensive either. And in America especially, working ourselves till we drop needs to stop. The amount of vacation time we afford ourselves in the States is probably a big part of the problem.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

MindofShadow, did you not just post over where you do your reviews about your wife taking your kids to play soccer when they wanted you to go? It seems really odd for you to go after "fatty fat face" soccer moms, given that, though you do seem super into fitness and lifting. Especially when you list addictions and imply bad life choices, but then don't think they're deserving of mental health care, either, or, seemingly, care for addiction.

Do you think that healthcare should also be denied lifters who injure themselves or runners and other exercise enthusiasts? If a kid plays a sport, most of the time, there are likely damages that can come from that. Should they be denied access to reasonable or affordable healthcare because they chose, or their parents chose to engage in those activities?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mavric1919 View Post
    So you don't think that any one should have a personal responsibility or consequence for maintaining their own health?
    The problem is where do you draw the line? No healthcare for people who don't pay taxes (and there don't fund it)? No medical treatment for people who have accidents that were their fault? What about injuries from gang fights? If the person was in a gang, they "chose" to risk their body? It's impossible to draw a line, so it really must be healthcare for all or for none. I choose all. It was shocking being in America, and being on set when someone was injured, and they were MORE WORRIED about the cost than the injury (possibly serious) they could have been inflicted with.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Single-Payer is what we should have fought for back in 2010. Health care isn't something we can comparison shop for. The "free market" doesn't work when it comes to health care.