View Poll Results: Is healthcare a human right?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 85.07%
  • No

10 14.93%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    So just only people your intensely dislike (fat people, fat moms) or moderately dislike (alcoholics, smokers) are not deserving of health care? I think I see where your line is quite clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    MindofShadow, did you not just post over where you do your reviews about your wife taking your kids to play soccer when they wanted you to go? It seems really odd for you to go after "fatty fat face" soccer moms, given that, though you do seem super into fitness and lifting. Especially when you list addictions and imply bad life choices, but then don't think they're deserving of mental health care, either, or, seemingly, care for addiction.

Do you think that healthcare should also be denied lifters who injure themselves or runners and other exercise enthusiasts? If a kid plays a sport, most of the time, there are likely damages that can come from that. Should they be denied access to reasonable or affordable healthcare because they chose, or their parents chose to engage in those activities?
    If yall would have kept reading my damn post, you would have saw i listed myself on that list mentioning where the line is due to the various lifting injuries ive acrued and will continue getting that eill likely eventually need fixed.

There is a line somewhere. Im not sure where that line is. I dont think the general public should be forced to pay for one of my future recreational injuries and i dont think the public shoukd hafta pay lazy obese mans preventable conditions either.

There is a line. Not sure where it is.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If yall would have kept reading my damn post, you would have saw i listed myself on that list mentioning where the line is due to the various lifting injuries ive acrued and will continue getting that eill likely eventually need fixed.

There is a line somewhere. Im not sure where that line is. I dont think the general public should be forced to pay for one of my future recreational injuries and i dont think the public shoukd hafta pay lazy obese mans preventable conditions either.

I think what people were questioning was the hateful comments toward fat people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The problem is where do you draw the line? No healthcare for people who don't pay taxes (and there don't fund it)? No medical treatment for people who have accidents that were their fault? What about injuries from gang fights? If the person was in a gang, they "chose" to risk their body? It's impossible to draw a line, so it really must be healthcare for all or for none. I choose all. It was shocking being in America, and being on set when someone was injured, and they were MORE WORRIED about the cost than the injury (possibly serious) they could have been inflicted with.
    That is it in a nut shell Cost. The US spends more money per person than any other country in the world but gets less care. Having the groups like Relative Value Scale Update Committee, set the prices are the problem one in which the Affordable Care Act did not address. Having the same pedicure in the US cost twice as much (3 times as much on others) as is does in other countries is not right. And because of competition, a doctor is forced to join a group, e.g. Humana. They then tell the doctor what he can charge followed by what they will pay for a specific procedure. Mainly going off the RUC pricing. I don't think the us health care system not broken, but I do believe that every one that has tried to fix it has worked on the wrong part. Again the Netherlands has a great model to look at and unlike Single-Payer I do believe that it can work well in the US. People need to take take responsibility for there own health, and there is a way to do that affordably.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I'm really glad you're not drawing that line. It's obvious you have no actual knowledge of the conditions you're ranting about. Let's talk diabetes. Well, I'll talk and you should listen, though I doubt you will. I'd talk heart disease, but I don't know much about it, so I keep quiet.

The correlation between Type 2 diabetes and weight/lifestyle/age is well known. Type 2 diabetes is a condition when a person gains enough resistance to his or her own insulin to maintain normal blood glucose levels. Insulin is a hormone that breaks down carbohydrates into simpkle glucose in order to h=fuel the body and brain. Weight, activity levels, and diet all affect insulin sensitivities and heavier people, people less active, and people eating junkier food all need more insulin for the same amount of carbohydrates. In cases where a person without diabetes is heavy, inactive and eating junk. their system can handle the carbs, produce enough insulin, and maintain normal levels. The correlation is mainly because Type 2 diabetes is more easily spotted when a person's diet/weight/lifestyle increases their insulin needs.

Causation has NEVER been proven.

And then there's type 1 which has no known causes. When diagnosed in adults, doctors still often confuse the two because Type 2 makes up over 90% of all diabetes cases.

That's the condition I know about. Until you understand a lot more of them a lot better than you do, perhaps you should avoid drawing your lines.

Will universal healthcare cover people with a stick up their rectum? Because if not, there may be quite a few people on this forum in need of supplemental coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I think what people were questioning was the hateful comments toward fat people, though.
    Fair enough.

not sure if calling obese people fat and unhealthy is hateful though

My job has made me... jaded to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm really glad you're not drawing that line. It's obvious you have no actual knowledge of the conditions you're ranting about. Let's talk diabetes. Well, I'll talk and you should listen, though I doubt you will.

The correlation between Type 2 diabetes and weight/lifestyle/age is well known. Type 2 diabetes is a condition when a person gains enough resistance to his or her own insulin to maintain normal blood glucose levels. Weight, activity levels, and diet all affect insulin sensitivities and heavier people, people less active, and people eating junkier food all need more insulin for the same amount of carbohydrates. In cases where a person without diabetes is heavy, inactive and eating junk. their system can handle the carbs, produce enough insulin, and maintain normal levels. The correlation is mainly because Type 2 diabetes is more easily spotted when a person's diet/weight/lifestyle increases their insulin needs.

Causation has NEVER been proven.

And then there's type 1 which has no known causes. When diagnosed in adults, doctors still often confuse the two because Type 2 makes up over 90% of all diabetes cases.

That's the condition I know about. Until you understand a lot more of them a lot better than you do, perhaps you should avoid drawing your lines.
    I can go through every single patient chart (yes patient charts brosef) and 90% of the diabetic patients I have are overweight and inactive. And I am probably being generous not saying 100%.

And yes, talking DMII and not DMI which people are generally born with. They are getting better at catching it in adults but it is still usually caught in kids, hence its old name of juvenile onset DM.

Unless you are an endocrinologist or a PCP, the chances of you knowing more about DM is incredibly slim. And hell, even if you are a PCP, the good ol' PCP way of throwing medication at the issue and then just throwing more and more and more is really really helping people these days.

We can beat around the bush all day, but when eating like garbage, sitting on your butt all day, abd being overweight increases your insulin resistance..and DMII is essentially an insulin resistance condition... do we really have to mince words?
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 11-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mavric1919 View Post
    That is it in a nut shell Cost. The US spends more money per person than any other country in the world but gets less care. Having the groups like Relative Value Scale Update Committee, set the prices are the problem one in which the Affordable Care Act did not address. Having the same pedicure in the US cost twice as much (3 times as much on others) as is does in other countries is not right. And because of competition, a doctor is forced to join a group, e.g. Humana. They then tell the doctor what he can charge followed by what they will pay for a specific procedure. Mainly going off the RUC pricing. I don't think the us health care system not broken, but I do believe that every one that has tried to fix it has worked on the wrong part. Again the Netherlands has a great model to look at and unlike Single-Payer I do believe that it can work well in the US. People need to take take responsibility for there own health, and there is a way to do that affordably.
    I think the US system of private insurance could actually work if prices weren't so inflated across the board.

But fixing that would be tearing the system totally apart at every single level from the billion dollar drug companies to the individual American person.

Well, I'll talk and you should listen, though I doubt you will.
    Dude just said that he repeatably benches 300 lbs, you will say sir.

Just joking, but it wasn't obvious that he didn't have actual knowledge of the conditions, I though that he made sense not only pointing out un-healthy life styles but of those that do things out of the norm like benching 300 lbs repeatably. Personal responsibility should also play a factor in health care.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Fair enough.

not sure if calling obese people fat and unhealthy is hateful though
    You didn't just call them fat, though, or even just unhealthy. You called them "fatty fat face" and went after soccer moms explicitly.

I don't know about hateful, but that's not impassioned or objective.

I see enough of my job's rhetoric get into the heads and come out the mouths of colleagues, though, I get how easy it can be. I did appreciate that you left your conclusions open.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member

There's a way around this kind of thing:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/metabolaw.asp

I just posted the Snopes article so as to avoid the "obesity is illegal in Japan" BS. You can discuss the relative merits of having people who fail a "Matebo" (sounds like a evil alien) test pay more into a heath care system or lose coverage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    Will universal healthcare cover people with a stick up their rectum? Because if not, there may be quite a few people on this forum in need of supplemental coverage.
    I think it would. I've actually known people who have accidentally sat on sticks and had to go to the hospital to get them out of their rectums. Emergency care. Also, I think it's not truly universal care if you have to get supplemental coverage.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 11-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.

I think the US system of private insurance could actually work if prices weren't so inflated across the board.

But fixing that would be tearing the system totally apart at every single level from the billion dollar drug companies to the individual American person.
    If a change were to be forced over night yes it would. It should be done in stages over time to reduce system shock and allow for adjustment. There are no microwave solution making it all better next year or even the next 5 years from now. The ACA was a step in the right direction, it does not need to be replace but amended, part altered, and built upon even Trump admitted that he liked parts of it.

I can go through every single patient chart (yes patient charts brosef) and 90% of the diabetic patients I have are overweight and inactive. And I am probably being generous not saying 100%.

And yes, talking DMII and not DMI which people are generally born with. They are getting better at catching it in adults but it is still usually caught in kids, hence its old name of juvenile onset DM.

Unless you are an endocrinologist or a PCP, the chances of you knowing more about DM is incredibly slim. And hell, even if you are a PCP, the good ol' PCP way of throwing medication at the issue and then just throwing more and more and more is really really helping people these days.

We can beat around the bush all day, but when eating like garbage, sitting on your butt all day, abd being overweight increases your insulin resistance..and DMII is essentially an insulin resistance condition... do we really have to mince words?
    Yes, yes we do. I know plenty of T2Ds who are fit, trim and active. Many are not. Yet we have many more overweight, sedentary folks with normal glucose levels. There is a family likelihood in both Types, although it's stronger in T2.

The truth is, I've been T1D for over 47 years. I'll put my knowledge against anybody's. My life is made up of figuring insulin resistances, because my life depends on it. My son's life depends on it. Access to insurances and health care is made harder when idiots spout off about how diabetes is the result of fat, lazy living.

My point is that you don't know. The causation factor isn't proven and that's your argument.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 11-16-2016 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    There's a way around this kind of thing:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/metabolaw.asp

I just posted the Snopes article so as to avoid the "obesity is illegal in Japan" BS. You can discuss the relative merits of having people who fail a "Matebo" (sounds like a evil alien) test pay more into a heath care system or lose coverage.
    oooooo I like this.

and btw, I like this despite the fact that people like me who have a high body mass index despite having low bodyfat percentages (aka moderate to heavily muscled individuals) generally get punished by stuff like this

The truth is, I've been T1D for over 47 years. I'll put my knowledge against anybody's. My life is made up of figuring insulin resistances, because my life depends on it. My son's life depends on it. Access to insurances and health care is made harder when idiots spout off about how diabetes is the result of fat, lazy living.

My point is that you don't know. The causation factor isn't proven and that's your argument.
    I

am

not

talking

about

type

At all. Type 1 DM is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo different.