Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Ok. I think, people may not agree since Marvel and DC are just superbig companies that even their less popular characters are still more popular than the most popular characters of other comic companies.

But Faith is the first plus size character to have her ongoing solo right?

Invincible Member

During the silver age there was a character called Fat Herbie with his own title I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Ok. I think, people may not agree since Marvel and DC are just superbig companies that even their less popular characters are still more popular than themost popular characters of other comic companies.

But Faith is the first plus size character to have her ongoing solo right?
    So the original poster moves the goal post.
    Some plus size characters with their own ongoing before Faith.

Little Lotta

Herbie

Fat Freddy
    http://i.imgur.com/sVh16ME.jpg?1

The Human Flying Saucer
    https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...QFsZ-3VCgrDuM:

Love & Rockets the Locas stories particularity Maggie Chascarillo (center)

As far as female "superheroes" Red Tornado (Ma Hunkel) was probably the first.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Some from other companies:

Little Lotta
    http://i.imgur.com/nGghPWP.jpg?1

Herbie

Fat Freddy

As far as female "superheroes" Red Tornado (Ma Hunkel) was probably the first.
    Considering that those were old ongoing series, it's safe to say Faith's ongoing solo is still the most popular. :-)

I love Faith and read her book every month. Most regular Valiant fans love her because she's the same character she was in the Harbinger book, just in her own solo. But she's from an indie series that sells >10k in comic stores. I do love how she's written as a giant fangirl trying her best to be an actual hero in a universe full of antiheroes in a fairly sci-fi setting. It sets her apart.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

He was there. If I didn't care , how much more to those who are not comic fans/readers.

I never heard any of my friends mention Volstagg.
    Volstagg has been around in Thor for a very long time and much more people know of him then this Faith lady. I would like to throw out Six-Pack from Section 8 as my favorite fat hero.

Also the 3 Lieutenant Marvel's were Tall Billy, Hill Billy and Fat Billy (aka Fat Marvel)

Somewhat re-imagined as Pedro (H)ercules strength of the SHAZAM! Family.

Last edited by Güicho; 01-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I don't know much about plus size comic book characters and, based on the unrealistic portrayal of human anatomy in those books, I am not surprised there are not many. But all these people going on about not knowing about Faith make no sense.
    1. If you have never heard of her, why bother posting on a discussion about her. What is your motivation to prove a negative about a character about whom you are completely ignorant.
    2. But since you are on the independent comic book discussion page, I am surprised you are ignorant of the fact that Faith is, IN FACT, QUITE POPULAR as an independent character. For proof, I checked out the October sales numbers and she was the second most popular Valiant character. Sure, she is nowhere near the Marvel and DC numbers, but as an independent, she is not an unknown quantity. Are you irritated by a superhero that does not look like Red Sonja?

Anyway, I read her book and enjoy it a lot. It is a pretty fun book and it is a nice positive that the main character does not have an idealized body.

Considering that those were old ongoing series, it's safe to say Faith's ongoing solo is still the most popular. :-)
    The others, sure, they're old but L&R is still ongoing and has a very loyal fanbase.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    I don't know much about plus size comic book characters and, based on the unrealistic portrayal of human anatomy in those books, I am not surprised there are not many. But all these people going on about not knowing about Faith make no sense.
    1. If you have never heard of her, why bother posting on a discussion about her. What is your motivation to prove a negative about a character about whom you are completely ignorant.
    2. But since you are on the independent comic book discussion page, I am surprised you are ignorant of the fact that Faith is, IN FACT, QUITE POPULAR as an independent character. For proof, I checked out the October sales numbers and she was the second most popular Valiant character. Sure, she is nowhere near the Marvel and DC numbers, but as an independent, she is not an unknown quantity. Are you irritated by a superhero that does not look like Red Sonja?

Anyway, I read her book and enjoy it a lot. It is a pretty fun book and it is a nice positive that the main character does not have an idealized body.
    The thing about the Independent category is that it is very broad. Very, very broad. I read plenty of independent books, but never have I ever read (modern) Valiant book. My only exposure to Faith is an article or ad or two on Bleeding Cool.

Now, as for why people not reading, or not know who Faith is, would answer? Well, what would be the purpose of asking a question about a character's popularity in the first place? To have all the people who like the character just answer about how popular the character is because they read and like the character? That is what appreciation threads are for.

By the way, the question was not whether the character was popular among Valiant fans, or Indie fans. Personally, I have no opinion on the character and I am responding only because it adds another perspective to whether the character is popular, I guess, but more importantly because I hate seeing someone post in a discussion thread casting aspersions on others because they joined in an open discussion with a differing opinion.

Faith is consistently among the Top 20 best rated current titles at Comic Book Roundup.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

BANNED

I know who Faith is only because I'm somewhat familiar with the Valiant U. Besides her, the only fatties I know by name are Amanda Waller, Penguin and The Blob. Nobody outside of the completely hopeless know Volstagg by name. They should just switch his name to "the fat guy in the Warrior's 3". There's the fat chick in GLA...
    Last edited by Carbon Based Stickler; 11-20-2016 at 09:58 PM.

She's practically the only fat superhero around ... certainly the only one that's got their own series (to the best of my knowledge) which is unfortunate, there should be more. Anyway, I like Faith. Her mini series was cool. I would get her monthly but I'm short on cash right now

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Is Bouncing Boy still around?

I think DC have pretty much disregarded him (then again they seem to disregard practically everything except Batman)

It's a shame. Bouncing Boy is a character with a lot of potential ... I'd be interested to read (or even write) a series focusing on him

BTW there's also Sixpack ... he's pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    ...L&R is still ongoing and has a very loyal fanbase.
    Yeah Magie counts.

So the original poster must move the goalpost again.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-16-2019 at 11:29 AM.