Default Themyscira's Government

During Jiminez's run, the Amazons eventually abolished the monarchy in favor of a democratic government, ruled by a council lead by Artemis and Philipus. Did you like this change or did you prefer the monarchy?

I didn't mind the monarchy but I did like the new government.

BANNED

Think Themyscira feels odd if it doesn't have Queen Hippolyta leading it.

But being Greek-inspired as they are... I think it would actually be nice to see that there is a council behind Hippolyta who keeps an eye on her. Or that Hippolyta is ruling the way she is because the population elected her to do so.

Like it would perhaps be natural, in the Perez setting, that Hippolyta wished to step down as queen after they arrived on Paradise Island. But when the dust clears, the Amazons still want her to lead them on, either on her own merits or because they still belive the Gods chose her for them.
    Behind Hippolyta however ther could be a council of senior officials, like Philipus as the leader of the army, whoever is in chage of the navy, agriculture, mining and so on. Their job is like that of the Ephors of Sparta, whose job it was to monitor and regulate the king(s) (Sparta normally had 2) authority stopping them from doing just whatever they pleased. But likewise it would be nice to see that this council doesn't have all that much to do because of how Hippolyta is quite humble when it comes to her authority, seeing it more as a service she performs for her people rather than a station of superiority.

Actually this upsets me a bit because Finch actually decided to ruin this idea for us by staffing it with malcontents.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Outisde_85 pretty much summed up my thoughts.

I prefer Hippolyta to remain Queen, but I'm perfectly fine with including some democratic elements. A wise ruler should surround herself with qualified advisors to make sure that she's making the best decisions possible. Making sure that her subjects are happy and confident in her rule is another important step, so some degree of representation for all Amazons is a good idea.

I think it says a lot about Hippolyta if it's established that the Amazons could, in fact, vote her off the throne at any time, but they haven't done so because they remain confident in her ability to lead them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I'd be fine with Outside_85 said, and it looks like thats what we got in the current volume of the book, with Hippolyte talking to her council.
    Richard Alexander