Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The joker calls Batman as "Bats" all the time and people don't seem to bother with that.

The only thing that is start to bothering me is this shtick King has with repeated phrases.
    That's more frequently used then Bruce and Selina calling each other "Bat" and "Cat" respectively, and it fits Joker's personality (especially attached to Mark Hamill's voice).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The joker calls Batman as "Bats" all the time and people don't seem to bother with that.
    That's more frequently used then Bruce and Selina calling each other "Bat" and "Cat" respectively, and it fits Joker's personality (especially attached to Mark Hamill's voice).
    And having that "s" on the end ("Bats" vs. just "Bat") really gives it a different meaning when he says it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they have to start somewhere.
    Doesn't bother me, it's odd because it's the first time, i think, they are calling each other like that. Maybe they have a reason.

Thanks for the clarification, was a little confused about that. The question becomes have we seen the incident occur, or has it all been talk so far? Cause i feel like i may have missed an issue or somethinng.

Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, was a little confused about that. The question becomes have we seen the incident occur, or has it all been talk so far? Cause i feel like i may have missed an issue or somethinng.
    It's all just been talked about without being really shown, outside this preview which is obviously Batman catching Catwoman after she's finished off the terrorists.

Always Rakzo

I. Just. Don't. Like. Tom. King's. Dialogue!

And I'm not only talking about the repetition which is also present here but fortunately not as abundantly as in the last issue, but about how the characters talk in general. The conversation between Bruce and Selina is so unnatural that is hard to believe that this is a scene about two human beings talking, they might as well be computers trying to pass info to each other. The problems don't end there though since Punch and Jewelee are even more obnoxious and you could come up with the argument that they're purposely obnoxious but I don't refer to the way they behave but to the awkward things that come from their mouths.

The rest of the "premise" is not so bad since there are surprises here and there but those surprises are all about Selina's change of character which makes me wonder what the hell is King thinking here? I know he likes to change characterization to make characters fit into his themes but this might be a little too much and I don't know how this will be fixed.

Mikel Janin's art is the saving grace here thanks to his beautiful characters and wonderful storytelling but even him is not enough to save a flawed script.

Eh, there are better books to look out this week anyway.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    If killing bad people is okay even those who aren't even involved in the bad deeds then you might as well make selina a full on villain
    She's no better than any of his other rogues who kill but think they have good reasons like Bane or Wrath
    As far as I'm aware, she killed the terrorists who were involved in the specific bad deed that she's seeking vengeance for. And if she's no better than Bane or Wrath...so what? She's not a saint and was never meant to be.

Assuming of course all of this is legit, which I'm not too sure of.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    237 terrorists weren't directly involved in the bombing, the group responsible just had 237 members total.
    And the election special doesn't mention the bombing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    If killing bad people is okay even those who aren't even involved in the bad deeds then you might as well make selina a full on villain
    She's no better than any of his other rogues who kill but think they have good reasons like Bane or Wrath
    Yes, there really is no sufficient defense for the mass murder spree. So I hope Tom either realizes that, or just makes her a full on villain & non-love-interest (which really limits her, but fits her spree).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I. Just. Don't. Like. Tom. King's. Dialogue!

And I'm not only talking about the repetition which is also present here but fortunately not as abundantly as in the last issue, but about how the characters talk in general. The conversation between Bruce and Selina is so unnatural that is hard to believe that this is a scene about two human beings talking, they might as well be computers trying to pass info to each other. The problems don't end there though since Punch and Jewelee are even more obnoxious and you could come up with the argument that they're purposely obnoxious but I don't refer to the way they behave but to the awkward things that come from their mouths.

The rest of the "premise" is not so bad since there are surprises here and there but those surprises are all about Selina's change of character which makes me wonder what the hell is King thinking here? I know he likes to change characterization to make characters fit into his themes but this might be a little too much and I don't know how this will be fixed.

Mikel Janin's art is the saving grace here thanks to his beautiful characters and wonderful storytelling but even him is not enough to save a flawed script.

Eh, there are better books to look out this week anyway.

I completely agree with you here. I thought it was better than #10 but yeah that dialogue is just so unnatural, it's not even enjoyable to read. The story is kind of running a little slow right now too but it's not the worst I guess. And Catwoman...I'm not going to spoil anything but is King trying to destroy her character? I only jumped back on the Batman title because she was showing up but right now, that might not be enough for me. The art is really the only thing keeping me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    . . . And Catwoman...I'm not going to spoil anything but is King trying to destroy her character? I only jumped back on the Batman title because she was showing up but right now, that might not be enough for me. The art is really the only thing keeping me here.
    I could live with (and actually enjoyed) Valentine's run on Catwoman where she was trying to contain the mob wars by heading a crime family, but this seems entirely . . . beyond anything Catwoman's ever done before. The concept that she's a thief and can stealthily find her ways in to places is one thing . . . the fact that she wanted to hurt those who killed the innocent kids is also not necessarily out of character.
    But the number of casualties that supposedly happened from the bombing seem a tad unbelievable, and even if that did happen, why has it never been in a story before? Wouldn't the Bat-family and or other agencies have also been involved in tracking this terrorism group? Wouldn't they have wound up stopping Selina and/or getting to any of the places where they were hiding (especially outside the country?) before she did?

It doesn't make any sense for Selina to have accomplished all she supposedly did, especially in relation to an act of terrorism as big as this and which would have received MEGA coverage / exposure. Something just doesn't click here, and it pisses me off because I'm only picking this title up again specifically for Selina.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I could live with (and actually enjoyed) Valentine's run on Catwoman where she was trying to contain the mob wars by heading a crime family, but this seems entirely . . . beyond anything Catwoman's ever done before. The concept that she's a thief and can stealthily find her ways in to places is one thing . . . the fact that she wanted to hurt those who killed the innocent kids is also not necessarily out of character.
    But the number of casualties that supposedly happened from the bombing seem a tad unbelievable, and even if that did happen, why has it never been in a story before? Wouldn't the Bat-family and or other agencies have also been involved in tracking this terrorism group? Wouldn't they have wound up stopping Selina and/or getting to any of the places where they were hiding (especially outside the country?) before she did?

It doesn't make any sense for Selina to have accomplished all she supposedly did, especially in relation to an act of terrorism as big as this and which would have received MEGA coverage / exposure. Something just doesn't click here, and it pisses me off because I'm only picking this title up again specifically for Selina.
    Agreed. It's just so out of character for her, and today's issue really didn't help at all. I'm hoping there's a bigger plan here and it gets revealed soon but right now, my hope is fading quickly. The book just isn't that enjoyable for me, the Catwoman characterization, the dialogue, the story. The art is really the only thing I can say I "like" about the book. Oh well.

Ok, it's all in Batman's head somehow. I refuse to accept that things in this issue happened for real. This is too simple for King and too awful for Selina.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm almost positive that King is pulling some kind of reveal on us at this point. I don't see how Catwoman could ever come back from murdering two people, even criminals, in front of Batman knowingly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Yeah...there definitely is something happening here. Especially if she's going to be the co-lead of the title moving forward, there's no way there isn't a twist or else they've completely ruined her character.

Incredible Member

Soo, yeah, this book is just dreadful. I actually liked the I Am Gotham story! But what the heck is this? Why is the dialog so weird? Why is everything just so... bad? I don't even mind Catwoman killing a bunch of terrorists, hardly human beings to begin with - but now she's just killing people in cold blood in front of Batman and it's okay? And why do they keep calling her Jewlee - it looks weird, it's supposed to be Jewelee. This arc is just not engaging me at all and I'm so sick of it.

Tom King showed so much promise.