Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    read what I wrote again. I didn't give people falling in love with criminals as an example of Stockholm syndrome. I said that you'd be making a better analogy to the Briar/Magneto relationship. and, no, I don't agree with your last statement; at all.
    It can be used to describe Briar per wiki. She was a victim of Magneto's terror and sympathized with him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Stockholm syndrome has also come to describe the reactions of some abuse victims beyond the context of kidnappings or hostage-taking. Actions and attitudes similar to those suffering from Stockholm Syndrome have also been found in victims of sexual abuse, human trafficking, discrimination, terror, and political oppression.
    Last edited by remydat; 07-12-2018 at 05:37 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I would also add the falling in love with criminals doesn't fit as in your analogy there is no indication that the person falling in love was a victim of the criminal. So it is a different mentality.

Briar was once an insignificant human crushed by Mags in the same way I may step on an anthill. Now Magneto sees her. Sees her cunning and strength. He respects and admires her. So in garnering his gaze, Briar has taken some measure of power from her attacker. Her validation comes from standing toe to toe with a man who at one time simply crushed her underfoot with no regard for her.

That is why it is akin to SS. It is perhaps her mechanism to survive the feelings of inferiority and insignificance that arose in the wake of her being unimportant collateral damage. And she wants to make sure no one else ever feels that way hence why she has chosen to help Mags direct his rage and anger at the ants that deserve it.
    Last edited by remydat; 07-12-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

31 issues of Blue and I still dont quite get her story. This thread was informative

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    31 issues of Blue and I still dont quite get her story. This thread was informative
    Yes, Briar is tricky because while her story is interesting and her attachment to Magneto is sort of makes sense, she still is strange in the way that she brings Magneto´s best and worse qualities. For example she can help him develop a refuge for mutants on Genosha:

but also expect or even direct him into doing more harm

and she´s also there when Magneto himself isn´t sure about what he´s doing:

And that´s whats so disturbing about her, apparently she doesn´t have a more deep motive than her wish to "guide" Magneto, but her relationship with him seems to have hints of manipulation towards both good and bad actions and an obssesion with him. Maybe this arc of X-men Blue will go more in depth with Briar´s origin and motives.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ Yep that is why she is so compelling
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I would also add the falling in love with criminals doesn't fit as in your analogy there is no indication that the person falling in love was a victim of the criminal. So it is a different mentality.

Briar was once an insignificant human crushed by Mags in the same way I may step on an anthill. Now Magneto sees her. Sees her cunning and strength. He respects and admires her. So in garnering his gaze, Briar has taken some measure of power from her attacker. Her validation comes from standing toe to toe with a man who at one time simply crushed her underfoot with no regard for her.

That is why it is akin to SS. It is perhaps her mechanism to survive the feelings of inferiority and insignificance that arose in the wake of her being unimportant collateral damage. And she wants to make sure no one else ever feels that way hence why she has chosen to help Mags direct his rage and anger at the ants that deserve it.
    I don't buy it. I read through the page you linked to. Briar isn't trying to excuse Magneto's actions. She's egging him on. She would turn on him if he were to give up violence. He's her avatar for lack of a better description; causing the destruction that she consciously or unconsciously desires. It reminds me of Russell and Juggernaut in Deadpool 2.

I’ll be worried she’s forgotten about once Bunn leaves. Let’s hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I’ll be worried she’s forgotten about once Bunn leaves. Let’s hope not!
    She definitely will be. It's why Bunn's departure from the X-line is a tragedy. Well, one of the reasons

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't know nothing about her but reading this thread I would like to see her becoming the mutant Rachel Dolezal.

Too late. That title goes to Guggenheim's Ink.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    She definitely will be. It's why Bunn's departure from the X-line is a tragedy. Well, one of the reasons
    Yeah. I love Claremont but I doubt we’ll see her in that one shot!

Yeah, this thread informed me of her far more than what I've seen in Blue. Can't say I feel like I'm missing much, though. Weird masochistic fetish chicks don't do a thing for me.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah, this thread informed me of her far more than what I've seen in Blue. Can't say I feel like I'm missing much, though. Weird masochistic fetish chicks don't do a thing for me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's sadistic (enjoys causing pain) or voyuersadistic (enjoys others causing pain to others) not masochistic (enjoys receiving pain).

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Briar was truly introduced/explained in the Magneto solo. Her appearances in BLUE are just Bunn continuing her since he likes her

OBEY

probably Fabian Cortez after going through the Siege Perilous

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's sadistic (enjoys causing pain) or voyuersadistic (enjoys others causing pain to others) not masochistic (enjoys receiving pain).
    Well, maybe S&M is more appropriate given she somehow enjoyed being maimed by Magneto in the first place.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!