View Poll Results: Which is your favorite decade that you have personally lived through?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1950s

1 2.56%
  • 1960s

3 7.69%
  • 1970s

5 12.82%
  • 1980s

12 30.77%
  • 1990s

13 33.33%
  • 2000s

3 7.69%
  • 2010s

2 5.13%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The '10s.

Every decade is better than the one before.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

80s seemed like the most fun. After that, things seemed to get way too serious and angsty. But the computers really sucked back then.

Music took a real dive in the early-90s, and I don't think it really recovered much.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The late 70's, my college years.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Yes I grew up in that era. The changes were everywhere, and though there was uphevel, it seemed we were progressing to a better future. Then it all went to crap.
    Vietnam showed us warr was not the answer. Social unrest told us everyone deserved equal treatment .
    And the music...the Beales and the Beach Boys to Led Zep and Pink Floyd. An amazing journey.
    I was a pre-teenager during that era. So my awareness of the great social changes were not very strong and, alas, as you said, it all went to crap.

Interestingly, not a single vote for the 1950's, which probably just means nobody here is old enough to have any memories of the era.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was a pre-teenager during that era. So my awareness of the great social changes were not very strong and, alas, as you said, it all went to crap.

Interestingly, not a single vote for the 1950's, which probably just means nobody here is old enough to have any memories of the era.
    I noticed that, too, sadly. However, it makes sense. In order to have very clear memories of the decades, you'd probably have to be around 10 at least when the decade ended. That would put the person in question at 67, at a minimum. I'm sure there are comics fans that old, but they are probably a very small minority. At least now; it won't be that long before a lot of us are experiencing our "golden years"!

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

I would have said the 1990s during which was the decade where I became a teenager and really began to be aware of everything and everyone around me including my first girlfriend and bonded friendships that has lasted to this day. However sadly, it can never really be my favourite decade because overriding everything that happened was the passing away of my father towards the end of the decade. It was the first time that I experienced the death of someone really close to me and it really casted a shadow over a period of time that should have been some of the best years of my life.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    They have now.

There's a strong likelihood that someone just did that to take the piss. In the event that it may be someone old enough to remember those days then it would be interesting to find out who though.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Although I was alive in the 1980s (I was born in 1984) I don't have many personal memories of that time period, the 1990s was an up-and-down decade for me as I had a bit of a rough time at school. The 2010s hasn't finished yet so I'll say 2000s which to be fair was a pretty good decade for me personally speaking.

BANNED

1990s

- the birth of the internet
    - evolution of tv entertainment (changes in programming and what people watched)
    - rise of independent film
    - music saw a huge shakeup with the rise of grunge and techno
    - Seinfeld

I was born in 1990 and while a good portion of my fondness from that era does stem from the ignorance of the greater outside world from being a child(especially from a pretty small town), I have a lot of love for the media from that era even if it wasn't stuff I was aware of at the time. I grew up on watching the Simpsons(with that 90s period easily being considered the high point of the show) and the various Star Trek shows and I feel like I can endlessly re-watch those shows, it was a great time for video games even if the transition to 3D was rough(1998 was a hell of a year for games, Half Life, LoZ Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2, among a lot more classics), and a lot of the music of the time would go on to become some of my favorites like NIN and Soundgarden.

The 2000s I'm pretty indifferent from, I can barely remember anything significant from 2000 to about 2005(with the exception being 9/11 of course), and I didn't have an absolutely terrible time in High School, I don't have much fondness looking back.

The 2010s have been easily the worst for me, I've generally enjoyed college but that's about it.

That's a tough one. I war born 1987 - I like the 80s very much because of the cool movies, great music and cartoon series it produced. But I'm definitely a child of the 90s. I remember the 90s being a very optimistic decade (and x-treme, lol). They had relatively good movies, video and PC games and a more positive attitude. The 2000's were the worst ever, imo - boring music, shitty movies, stupid subcultures like "Emos" and everything borderline average to please a wider audience. 2010's are getting a "little bit" better. But still suck, because of the last decade. Though, I hate Hipsters.
    Last edited by The_Walking_Cat; 12-01-2016 at 04:49 AM.

BANNED

The 1990s... there was a lot of hope in the new treatment for HIV, the end of the Cold War and saying farewell to the era of right wing leaders like Reagan, Thatcher, Kohl etc.
    R&B music and hip hop were damn cool, and there were some amazing movies being made. Regulation of halocarbons showed that humanity was willing to change behavior to save the planet.

I kinda liked the 90s.

Pearl Jam, Wu-Tang Clan, Milestone Media, Tibetan Freedom Concert, indie film explosion, the Internet, Chrono Trigger & Earthbound... All my favorite stuff happened in the 90s.

But I did get married and have children this decade so it's split between my formative years and my "main" adult years.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 12-01-2016 at 06:23 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

1990's all the way baby....

and plus the year 2000 itself (since that was the last period of time to ever make the awesomeness of my childhood in visiting my family's home country in Asia).

and to an extent, some parts of the current decade.

1980s - the peak of youth pop culture with the best comics ever created (Claremont to Miller), arcade (Pac-man to Donkey Kong) and console videogames (Atari to Nintendo), and music & television whose legacy is still strong today. I think the deaths of Prince and Bowie this past year show how influential they were as legends of pop music. The Simpsons were a product of the 1980s. Independent films actually began in the 1980s (Jarmusch, Spike Lee) not the 90s.

I view the last 26+ years as generally undefined and homogenous if you take away tech advances (internet, smart phones). What musician/singer will be mourned on the same level as Prince or Bowie? Beyonce or Kanye?! **** NO. What TV show (animated or otherwise) will still be going in 30 years? In some ways I feel sorry for millennials who view the 90s or 00s as their formative years. The internet and the social media boom has given us the worst of pop culture (Kardashians, selfies, hipsters, viral videos & memes) and continue to perpetuate unoriginal, awful crap every day. The 60s thru the 80s were all very distinctive and had unique qualities. The 90s thru today just rehashed or ruined (1990s comicbook crash) the best of what previous decades offered.