Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default soundtracks that became more popular than the movie

which soundtracks became more everlasting than the movie attached to it?
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-11-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Saturday Night Fever
    Grease
    Footloose
    Xanadu
    My Fair Lady (other musicals, too)

possibly Pulp Fiction

I was going to post SNF, Grease, and Footloose too but those movies were REALLY big. Not sure if the soundtracks are "bigger". I guess the soundtracks aged better, considering how cheesy the movies seem to be now in hindsight.

I'd say maybe Fame or Flashdance, maybe An Officer and a Gentleman. Top Gun might fall into the previous category. Kind of tough to call for these too

Ohh, I have one possibility: American Graffiti
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

Elizabethtown, Tron: Legacy, Garden State

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Maybe FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. At least its very cool.

Streets of Fire, maybe? At least "I can dream about you" and later Stevie Nick's own version of the song she wrote, "Sorceror" became pretty popular.

The music also sort of influenced the "Bubblegum Crisis" anime soundtrack (Especially Kon wa Hurricane and Victory, which both borrowed heavily from "Nowhere Fast". "Nowhere" also got a Meatloaf cover, but I'm not sure that's popular). Then again, the movie was a bigger hit in Japan than in America.

Batman Forever also had a few hit songs, Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" and U2's "Hold me, thrill me, Kiss Me" were both pretty big at the time (and I think "Kiss" is still a bit popular-it was used as a running joke in the recent Vacation film).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Transformers (1986)
    The Lost Boys
    Highlander
    Flash Gordon (actually just that one song)
    Lost In Translation
    Point Break
    Pump Up The Volume
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Dazed and Confused

Come to think of it most of these movies are still pretty popular in their own right so maybe they don't strictly belong in this thread.
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The only thing I remember from the Bodyguard were all the songs Whitney Houston provided for it's soundtrack.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    The Singles Soundtrack is a good one to bring up. The movie was ok and made a little money I think, but that soundtrack was huge. Looking at it even now you can see it was overflowing with greats acts and great songs. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Paul Westerberg. I still love that soundtrack.

Another one is the Swingers soundtrack. The movie made money since it was made so cheap, but that soundtrack exploded. It was so popular that they even did a second album with more music from the movie.

Prince of Egypt
    A Goofy movie

Lion King coulda been there too except the movie was just as good as the soundtrack.

People said the most obvious one already Grease.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Batman Forever also had a few hit songs, Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" and U2's "Hold me, thrill me, Kiss Me" were both pretty big at the time (and I think "Kiss" is still a bit popular-it was used as a running joke in the recent Vacation film).
    Probably the soundtrack I've listened to more than any other. Bought the CD back then, listen to it at least once a year. Its a little dated now but overall has many still great songs.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Space Jam. It's soundtrack is the only thing about the movie that's remembered fondly.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Streets of Fire, maybe? At least "I can dream about you" and later Stevie Nick's own version of the song she wrote, "Sorceror" became pretty popular.

The music also sort of influenced the "Bubblegum Crisis" anime soundtrack (Especially Kon wa Hurricane and Victory, which both borrowed heavily from "Nowhere Fast". "Nowhere" also got a Meatloaf cover, but I'm not sure that's popular). Then again, the movie was a bigger hit in Japan than in America.
    The opening scenes of the first ep are essentially a mashup of Streets of Fire and Bladerunner. I think the movie was just a known property in Japan, while in the States we... somehow couldn't groove on it at the time. The later covers of songs from the movie probably are more famous than the movie, though, yeah.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Space Jam. It's soundtrack is the only thing about the movie that's remembered fondly.
    Forgot about that one but its so true. Though to be fair at the time Space jam was pretty big but it doesnt hold up at all and I believe i can fly is still relevant