Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should the Question be ultra conservative to counter Green Arrow?

Since Sage started out as a huge influence of Ayn Rand, why not make him a Rorschach esque ultra right wing character to contrast with the left wing Green Arrow. They both work as voices of the streets and are much more down to earth characters, and the question was one of the few characters Green Arrow crossed over with during the ultra grounded Grell run. Should they be pushed more in this direction?

I liked the kooky, libertarian-leaning conspiracy theorist that Question was in the Justice League Unlimited TV show. It gives him a Rorschach-esque vibe without being a liberal-hating, ultra-conservative Rorschach knockoff (which is funny since Rorschach is actually sort of a Question knockoff.) But since a majority of comic creators and fans are left leaning, I doubt something like this would happen.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 11-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

I think if/when we go back to having characters like the JSA, some of that conservatism could come from that area.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Since Sage started out as a huge influence of Ayn Rand, why not make him a Rorschach esque ultra right wing character to contrast with the left wing Green Arrow. They both work as voices of the streets and are much more down to earth characters, and the question was one of the few characters Green Arrow crossed over with during the ultra grounded Grell run. Should they be pushed more in this direction?
    Nah . . . let Peacemaker have that role.

Incredible Member

Hal Jordan was the conservative counter to Oliver Queen in the old Green Arrow/Green Lantern comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    Hal Jordan was the conservative counter to Oliver Queen in the old Green Arrow/Green Lantern comics.
    Yea, but that wasn't what I would call a fair representation. He was a charicature of uncaring stereotypes from the things I've read of that run, and Green Arrow was always there to tell him how wrong he was in everything
    Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory

Why ruin a great character? Besides it wasn't the Question who had the Randian philosophy it was Ditko's other masked detective Mr. A.

Rorschach was far more like him than Vic Sage. Alan Moore made Rorschach look kind of like the Question but his personality was an even more extreme right wing Mr. A.

Having the Question quote Ayn Rand on Justice League Unlimted was their little tribute to Ditko and Mr. A. But the Question has never been a right wing zelot. I would hate to see him start calling poor people lazy and weak.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-12-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I think if/when we go back to having characters like the JSA, some of that conservatism could come from that area.
    Heh. The JSA were FDR progressives. Seeing that view conflicting with modern-day progressive political beliefs could be a lot of fun.

As to Vic Sage, even if he's still possessed of his original Randian nature unaffected by the O'Neil years, I doubt he'd actually represent a true conservative foil to Ollie. The two tended to blend based solely on their more realistic stories and their relative isolation from the rest of the DC universe.

Since pre-flashpoint it's sort of coming back anyway, why not have Hawkman be the conservative voice again?
    I have no beef with Vegans

BANNED

Thought this was what you had Hawkman for?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thought this was what you had Hawkman for?
    Always thought this was an odd take for Hawkman of all people. Why pick him for that role?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Always thought this was an odd take for Hawkman of all people. Why pick him for that role?
    I don't think he's a conservative in the traditional sense. But he's always been portrayed as the ultimate warrior (not the wrestler). No real empathy or care about why a crime is committed, just old school punishment.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Silver Age Hawkman, Katar Hol, was a cop on his homeworld of Thanagar. He was very much a law-and-order type.

Compared to classic Ollie Queen, most other DC superheroes look conservative by comparison. Ollie has not only butted heads with Katar/Carter about this, but also with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Ollie vs the Question is one of the highlights of DKSA.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

America is roughly 50% conservative and 50% liberal and I would assume the dc heroes should reflect the variety of views found in america.