Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default Should I buy the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One S?

I own a PS4 (bought december 2015) and a 58 inch 4 K TV (with HDR). I am thinking about buying another console but I am confused by the possibilities. I could buy:

- A PS4 Pro

Pro: The strongest console at the moment and could take advantage of my 4K TV. I could also play my old ps4 games, some of them updated
    Contra: I already own a PS4 and I do not know if the difference justifies the purchase. I could try to sell my ps4 but I am probably not the only one with this idea, so I am not sure I will be able to sell it or get a decent prize.

- A Xbox One S:

Pro: I could play exclusives like Gears of War and Halo, which I do not have on my PS4. And it has a ultra HD blu ray drive.
    Contra: It is weaker than the PS4Pro. And it is already obsolete, because in one year the Xbox Scorpio will be sold.

- Xbox Scorpio

Pro: Will be probably the most powerful console at this time and I will be able to play all the Xbox Exclusives
    Contra: I will have to wait one year and maybe the console will suck.

Is anyone in a similar situation?

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

None, save your money & buy a Nintendo Switch instead!

But to actually answer your question as not raise anyone's ire, I would say go with the PS4 Pro. Mainly because Sony systems seem to be better performance wise then microsoft systems.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    None, save your money & buy a Nintendo Switch instead!

But to actually answer your question as not raise anyone's ire, I would say go with the PS4 Pro. Mainly because Sony systems seem to be better performance wise then microsoft systems.
    Nice try I would like to play an hour of Mario from time to time, but I am not willing to buy a console for that.

I got a ps4 pro and I like it a ton but I had actually not gotten a console since the PS3 which made the decision really easy since a) I love the PS exclusives more (uncharted especially) and b) I have a pretty good PC with a tight group of friends who play on there (and the new news that all XB exclusives will also be on Windows 10 sealed that for me). That said it seems like your situation is different in that you already have a PS4 so to round it out an Xbox might seem best unless you don't like Halo, GoW etc i which case you still might want to check out the Pro ready PS4 games and see if any of those are stuff you want to play in 4k

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast View Post
    I got a ps4 pro and I like it a ton but I had actually not gotten a console since the PS3 which made the decision really easy since a) I love the PS exclusives more (uncharted especially) and b) I have a pretty good PC with a tight group of friends who play on there (and the new news that all XB exclusives will also be on Windows 10 sealed that for me). That said it seems like your situation is different in that you already have a PS4 so to round it out an Xbox might seem best unless you don't like Halo, GoW etc i which case you still might want to check out the Pro ready PS4 games and see if any of those are stuff you want to play in 4k
    I have never played Halo or Gears of Wars games, this is why I am thinking about buying Xbox One S. But next year the Scorpio will come out, sigh, so the situation will be similar to the PS4-PS4 Pro situation.

Several PS4 games I own have been patched to 4K (for example Uncharted 4, Infamous), the question is how big is the difference. Some reviews say the difference is quite big, other say the difference is not big.

Halo as a series has taken a nosedive since Bungie stopped producing them and Microsoft's in-house company took over. I liked the first Gears of War but felt pretty indifferent to 2 and 3.

The only game *supposedly* coming to X-Box that remotely interests me is Cuphead and that's solely due to the art style. The game play looks to basically be like Rayman meets Contra.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I own a PS4 (bought december 2015) and a 58 inch 4 K TV (with HDR). I am thinking about buying another console but I am confused by the possibilities. I could buy:

- A PS4 Pro

Pro: The strongest console at the moment and could take advantage of my 4K TV. I could also play my old ps4 games, some of them updated
    Contra: I already own a PS4 and I do not know if the difference justifies the purchase. I could try to sell my ps4 but I am probably not the only one with this idea, so I am not sure I will be able to sell it or get a decent prize.

- A Xbox One S:

Pro: I could play exclusives like Gears of War and Halo, which I do not have on my PS4. And it has a ultra HD blu ray drive.
    Contra: It is weaker than the PS4Pro. And it is already obsolete, because in one year the Xbox Scorpio will be sold.

- Xbox Scorpio

Pro: Will be probably the most powerful console at this time and I will be able to play all the Xbox Exclusives
    Contra: I will have to wait one year and maybe the console will suck.

Is anyone in a similar situation?
    If you're wanting to buy a Xbox One, and you still haven't gotten one, I'd just wait for the Scorpio. It's going to be far more power than the Xbox One, (or any other system) and after it's first year Xbox One games will probably kind of start demanding that be the default system.

The good looking upcoming exclusive I don't think are coming until next year for the Xbox One anyways.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Godzilla View Post
    If you're wanting to buy a Xbox One, and you still haven't gotten one, I'd just wait for the Scorpio. It's going to be far more power than the Xbox One, (or any other system) and after it's first year Xbox One games will probably kind of start demanding that be the default system.

The good looking upcoming exclusive I don't think are coming until next year for the Xbox One anyways.
    I found a pretty sweet deal on a Xbox One S Gears of War Bundle and bought this console. I heard that MIcrosoft will make a trade-in promotion when the Scorpio comes out so I can use that. And I probably will not buy the scorpio immediately but wait for a slim version.

I am still thinking about buying a ps4 pro despite already having a ps4 but maybe next year.

BANNED

If you are at all interested in modding Bethesda games, skip any kind of Playstation though.

BANNED

Question: let's say I have no 4K television, nor do I have any intension of ever getting one, what does the Xbox Scorpio offer over the current model?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Question: let's say I have no 4K television, nor do I have any intension of ever getting one, what does the Xbox Scorpio offer over the current model?
    My guess would be it will up the resolution, frame rate, and speed up load times of new and already released games. Eventually I'm sure they're start making games with that system more in mind than the normal one. With the PS4 Pro for example it already sounds like that's what you need if you don't want The Last Guardian to play like ****. Will probably be what you need when they start getting into VR.