Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Gotham Academy thread

Anyone reading? I'm actually a couple issues behind. However, so far I really dislike the new character Amy, so I'm not sure if I'll bother catching up. But I'm always open to give characters more than one shot. If you've read all of Second Semester so far, what are your thoughts? Is it as good as the first volume? How has Amy been?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

Incredible Member

When the first issue came out back in the day I didn't like it. But then just shy of a year later, I binged the whole series in one night and thought it was really, really good. They weaved a lot of intrigue and mystery and good character development and you just had to know what happened next. Then, the conclusion to the first years' worth of stories (#12) left a bit to be desired, and then the Yearbook arc was just kind of bad and every plot thread and mystery in the series was almost dropped completely. This new Second Semester story has been okay and is recapturing a bit of that early magic, but I still think they've started to skew to young in their target audience. We need to start getting payoff to some of the stuff that's been set up over the past two years. Plus, the contintuity errors are frustrating - the first six/seven issues take place in a very specific place in Batman Eternal (after Arkham's destruction and before Bruce leaves Wayne Manor) but they still show the Bat-signal in the sky, which is incorrect. #8 takes place after Arkham Manor (and therefore probably after Eternal) and seemingly features a Bruce cameo, but then #11 jumps past Endgame with a reference to We Are Robin (yet Bat-signal is still shown in sky) however, #12 states that the entire series up to that point was taking place in the same fall semester of school - impossible, if you follow the continuity links to the other titles, and the fact that Robin War is said to be a few days after #12 and now Second Semester is seemingly taking place in the winter semester immediately afterwards. Which theoretically means that this series is taking place in January 2016 and before the status quo of all the other Rebirth titles.

But still, for the most part, this book is dope.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm a tradewaiter mostly but keep buying Academy in singles to support it. Plan to catch up with the story soon since I fell behind. I want at least 150 issues of Gotham Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    But still, for the most part, this book is dope.
    Yeah, I've loved it up until Second Semester #1. Amy isn't a likable character (both written-to-be and unintentionally?) and Olive seems to regress as a character.

I should've named this thread to specify Second Semester discussion only since that's what is current and I'm most curious about.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I'm a tradewaiter mostly but keep buying Academy in singles to support it. Plan to catch up with the story soon since I fell behind. I want at least 150 issues of Gotham Academy.
    Yeah, I hope it stays around, even if I end up not enjoying Second Semester #2-3. I'll still give it a fair shot before I make 1 more cut on my pull list. I'd like to buy it for the sake of supporting it, but if I want to read other titles more urgently, well then...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Amy hasn't played that big a part in the story since the first issue of Semester Two. For what it's worth, I think she's supposed to be an annoying character, or at least a bad influence on Olive. I for one can't wait to see if Olive skirts the borders of turning evil this semester!

I want maya to guest star on Gotham academy, she is around 14 after all,she does not have to be main cast just recurring guest star.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Amy hasn't played that big a part in the story since the first issue of Semester Two. For what it's worth, I think she's supposed to be an annoying character, or at least a bad influence on Olive. I for one can't wait to see if Olive skirts the borders of turning evil this semester!
    Good to hear, thanks.

Amazing Member

This is, hands down, my favorite book out now.

I feel like the pitch for it could have been, "What if Buffy the Vampire Slayer went to Hogwarts... in Gotham City?"

Maps Mizoguchi is also my favorite member of Gotham City's citizenry.

Everything about the book (even Amy) is just the best.

Typing that, I even feel like I hear Map's voice in my head.

"The best, Olive!" The BEST!"

All-New Member

After reading issue #3 of Second Semester, I have a theory that Amy is actually only a figment of Olive's imagination.

Amazing Member

Like Tyler Durden in Fight Club?

Maybe. I'm going to have to reread the issue. Haven't other people been able to see Amy, though? In the same room as Olive, even?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Like Others I dislike Amy.. BAD NOTICES FOR GOTHAM ACADEMY: Second Semester:

http://www.newsarama.com/31730-on-th...your-help.html

Low sales..Even:

Aquaman: Why??
    New Superman Principal reason, No connection to the rest of DC heroes..
    Batgirl... I doubt that the return to burnside will be better.. Or the fans of burnside leave batgirl for now..... and for the old fans, this is not his barbara..
    Hellblazer

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    I want maya to guest star on Gotham academy, she is around 14 after all,she does not have to be main cast just recurring guest star.
    DC did that with Damian... I doubt that they will repeat that with her.. Our hopes are that Gleason has faith in the character or she would never have returned..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-18-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Like Others I dislike Amy.. BAD NOTICES FOR GOTHAM ACADEMY: Second Semester:

http://www.newsarama.com/31730-on-th...your-help.html

Low sales..Even:

Aquaman: Why??
    New Superman Principal reason, No connection to the rest of DC heroes..
    Batgirl... I doubt that the return to burnside will be better.. Or the fans of burnside leave batgirl for now..... and for the old fans, this is not his barbara..
    Hellblazer
    I would claim that cyborg as bigger problems with sales then Batgirl or Aquaman.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Like Tyler Durden in Fight Club?

Maybe. I'm going to have to reread the issue. Haven't other people been able to see Amy, though? In the same room as Olive, even?

Curiouser and curiouser.
    Yeah just like Fight Club! I didn't check the earlier issues but in #3 Amy appears and disappears and only seems to exist from Olive's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder Wolfe View Post
    Yeah just like Fight Club! I didn't check the earlier issues but in #3 Amy appears and disappears and only seems to exist from Olive's POV.
    yeah issue 3 really presented this theory and hammered it down, she appears right before the witch chase scene then disappears in the straight after, Olive saying "later" to Amy then Pom asking "later what?" Really cemented this. The only question is how she integrated with Eric in issue #1 stealing his stuff etc.

Maybe she is Olive's desires, darkest thoughts or something like that.

hunh, interesting...now i'm really eager to read #2-3...