Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well, this week's issue was pretty solid. Bruce Wayne cameo, Pom's mom helping Colton, Eric who has a crush on Maps going even crazier, more evidence in my mind that Amy isn't real, sneaking around in secret passageways.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Sooo, anyone read our beloved Detective Club Kids this week?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Just read it

First of all Amy is 100% Tyler Durton
    Its kind of underwelming at this point, something like this is suppouse to be a very huge twist and it is just completely ruin but I dont know who to blame for it or what to do about it, it is just a huge dud at this point
    For the record I also read that Fight Club Comic by ironically the same writers and, it is not very good, I love the Fight Club movie but the comic shown Tyler as much moe different character than how i imagine him to be to begin with and I assume some of that kind of got rub into Gotham Academy and it just doesnt fit
    What is the end game of Amy?
    I dont know and I kind of dont care. the plot is just dead.

the rest of the book was pretty good, I am so much involved In colton's plot, There is a lot of stuff on Pom that just makes it so much interesting not just her mom.
    Bruce Wayne being on the book just makes me sad that damian isnt on the book, other than that nothing much to add.
    I really dont get the point of Eric, now this is a good example of a plot that I have no idea where is going but at least im interested on.
    Is he going to be a villain on the story, is he being control, is he the author of the diary with 6 fingers, it could really go on any dirrection.

More than anything, after reading this last issue, I dont know why specifically but i felt that this deserve better to be a tv series or animated rather than a book, maybe is the pacing but i feel that something as obvious as the Amy is Tyler thing is something that would had been transladed better into another format. I dont think this plot would even read well on a trade.

Amazing Member

Another thought I just had... (Spoilers?)

Remember way back, when the whole "fake ghost" story was terrorizing all the kids at Gotham Academy (who 100% thought the ghost was real).

And didn't Pomeline say something to Olive like, "Maybe I summoned the wrong ghost?"

Maybe Amy is that wrong ghost. And maybe only Olive can see her.

But, yeah.

They're probably the same person.

BUT WE'LL SEE.

And two more things:

1. DC no longer stands for "Detective Comics" for me. It stands for "Detective Club." 100%.

2. It's cool that Maps wants to be Robin. But I think of her ideal self more as BATMAPS. And I always will!

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Another thought I just had... (Spoilers?)

Remember way back, when the whole "fake ghost" story was terrorizing all the kids at Gotham Academy (who 100% thought the ghost was real).

And didn't Pomeline say something to Olive like, "Maybe I summoned the wrong ghost?"

Maybe Amy is that wrong ghost. And maybe only Olive can see her.

But, yeah.

They're probably the same person.

BUT WE'LL SEE.
    highly doubt it because then how you would explain in the first chp where amy takes Eric's stuff and then locks them, obviously it was Olive who did this

Also I reread the first chp a moment ago to remind myself of somet details and I dont think anyone has pointed this out
    after Amy and Olive meet each other they walk outside for a moment in the snow and you can clearly see that Olive leaves footprints
    but not Amy, on any of the scenes, its multiple pages

I guess the biggest problem that made this so obvious is that Amy is suppose to be her roommate but her presence is never felt in the entire story. If she was just some X girl that she meet, instead of her new roommate then I guess it wouldnt had been as apparent.

Also I dont think is Calamity, this has to be her own psyque and not just some manipulation.

this was a really solid issue, really digging this whole plot.
    I just wish that the amy twist wasn't so obvious.
    always fun to see a member of the bat family showing up, can we expect a damian wayne Appearance soon ?
    I would kill to have him back in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Just read it

First of all Amy is 100% Tyler Durton
    Its kind of underwelming at this point, something like this is suppouse to be a very huge twist and it is just completely ruin but I dont know who to blame for it or what to do about it, it is just a huge dud at this point
    For the record I also read that Fight Club Comic by ironically the same writers and, it is not very good, I love the Fight Club movie but the comic shown Tyler as much moe different character than how i imagine him to be to begin with and I assume some of that kind of got rub into Gotham Academy and it just doesnt fit
    What is the end game of Amy?
    I dont know and I kind of dont care. the plot is just dead.

the rest of the book was pretty good, I am so much involved In colton's plot, There is a lot of stuff on Pom that just makes it so much interesting not just her mom.
    Bruce Wayne being on the book just makes me sad that damian isnt on the book, other than that nothing much to add.
    I really dont get the point of Eric, now this is a good example of a plot that I have no idea where is going but at least im interested on.
    Is he going to be a villain on the story, is he being control, is he the author of the diary with 6 fingers, it could really go on any dirrection.

More than anything, after reading this last issue, I dont know why specifically but i felt that this deserve better to be a tv series or animated rather than a book, maybe is the pacing but i feel that something as obvious as the Amy is Tyler thing is something that would had been transladed better into another format. I dont think this plot would even read well on a trade.
    Yeah, the Amy plot is just not interesting. I enjoyed Colton and Pomeline's plot quite a bit. I've heard that Eric might be Katherine in a different form, but while it makes logistical sense (they're never on panel at the same time, that I can remember), I hope that isn't the case, as Katherine is very interesting, and Eric is very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    And two more things:

1. DC no longer stands for "Detective Comics" for me. It stands for "Detective Club." 100%.

2. It's cool that Maps wants to be Robin. But I think of her ideal self more as BATMAPS. And I always will!
    Haha, I love that. Detective Club Comics! I'd be on board with Maps taking on any identity. But I think a Spoiler or Misfit type of identity fits her better than a sidekick - someone inspired to be a hero by Batman and Robin, but choosing her own route, and dragging her friends along with her.

highly doubt it because then how you would explain in the first chp where amy takes Eric's stuff and then locks them, obviously it was Olive who did this

Also I reread the first chp a moment ago to remind myself of somet details and I dont think anyone has pointed this out
    after Amy and Olive meet each other they walk outside for a moment in the snow and you can clearly see that Olive leaves footprints
    but not Amy, on any of the scenes, its multiple pages

I guess the biggest problem that made this so obvious is that Amy is suppose to be her roommate but her presence is never felt in the entire story. If she was just some X girl that she meet, instead of her new roommate then I guess it wouldnt had been as apparent.

Also I dont think is Calamity, this has to be her own psyque and not just some manipulation.
    I think Amy is Olive's Calamity personality. Not her mother, but the legacy that all of her family has struggled with. Which makes me think that Katherine and Olive's plotlines are very interestingly similar - both struggling with impulses and powers beyond their understanding and control. But where Olive is drifting into psychosis, Katherine is actively seeking to help those around her.

Quote Originally Posted by dragons06 View Post
    this was a really solid issue, really digging this whole plot.
    I just wish that the amy twist wasn't so obvious.
    always fun to see a member of the bat family showing up, can we expect a damian wayne Appearance soon ?
    I would kill to have him back in this book.
    I wish the Amy twist were just revealed already. There's no end in sight to this dreary, unpleasant character, real or not, and she's just making Olive even harder to like.

Bruce was really enjoyable in this issue - it's really good to see him doing good outside of the mask.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yeah, the Amy plot is just not interesting. I enjoyed Colton and Pomeline's plot quite a bit. I've heard that Eric might be Katherine in a different form, but while it makes logistical sense (they're never on panel at the same time, that I can remember), I hope that isn't the case, as Katherine is very interesting, and Eric is very boring.
    That would make no sense to me
    I think Eric is completely unrelated to Katherine

My guess is this:
    Whatever was the plot of the begining of the first book with the connection with Arkham, the diary and everything else, involved Damian. which is why he joined the Academy to begin with, and his part was going to somehow investigate the "diary plot" on his own. However editors of DC couldnt let Damian to stay, most likely because of the launch of Son of Batman or Robins War or maybe some other issues with the continuity, which is why he came and left so quickly and also thats why the end of "season 1" involved a very weird thing where he comes back to pretty much give a vage conclusion to his part because at the end of the day there was no reason why Bruce should had enrolled Damian in to begin with just to end up like how it ended.

Here is where Eric comes from, he is here to just pick the leftovers of Damian's part of that plot. Everything on the character is involving the connection with the symbols.
    Also maybe why he has this obsesion with Maps, maybe a leftover on trying to create some kind of ship with them... or something.

I dont know maybe im just looking way to deep on it.

Haha, I love that. Detective Club Comics! I'd be on board with Maps taking on any identity. But I think a Spoiler or Misfit type of identity fits her better than a sidekick - someone inspired to be a hero by Batman and Robin, but choosing her own route, and dragging her friends along with her.
    I dont know why but I kind of dislike the idea of Maps getting her own series, this is already her own series

I think Amy is Olive's Calamity personality. Not her mother, but the legacy that all of her family has struggled with. Which makes me think that Katherine and Olive's plotlines are very interestingly similar - both struggling with impulses and powers beyond their understanding and control. But where Olive is drifting into psychosis, Katherine is actively seeking to help those around her.
    ah, i get it
    that makes sense

I wish the Amy twist were just revealed already. There's no end in sight to this dreary, unpleasant character, real or not, and she's just making Olive even harder to like.
    here is another thing
    at the very least, Brad Pitt's Tyler was actually the most interesting and likeble character in Fight Club, not to say Edward Norton wasnt likable, it is just that you can see why so many people ended up following him.

Amy is the most unlikable presence in the book so the whole inspiration of the thing just doesnt work

Bruce was really enjoyable in this issue - it's really good to see him doing good outside of the mask.
    I still think that he should have a bigger involvement on the book, or no involvement.
    I know it is very early to tell but It kind of annoys me that he technically didnt do anything on the book per say.
    why was he here? Explain book!
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 01-12-2017 at 12:30 AM.

That would make no sense to me
    I think Eric is completely unrelated to Katherine
    I hope so. I just can't disprove that theory.

I dont know why but I kind of dislike the idea of Maps getting her own series, this is already her own series
    I was thinking in the future, after Gotham Academy concludes.

here is another thing
    at the very least, Brad Pitt's Tyler was actually the most interesting and likeble character in Fight Club, not to say Edward Norton wasnt likable, it is just that you can see why so many people ended up following him.

Amy is the most unlikable presence in the book so the whole
    So true!!!!! She makes Olive, already a very difficult character for me to like, even less appealing, since she's ditching the friends who have been kind and loving to her for a semester for a "person" who is cruel even to her.

I still think that he should have a bigger involvement on the book, or no involvement.
    I know it is very early to tell but It kind of annoys me that he technically didnt do anything on the book per say.
    why was he here? Explain book!
    He was here to inspire, as Batman always does!

I hope so. I just can't disprove that theory.
    I just think it is ridiculous
    Using the same logic with my theory it would be the same as suggesting that Eric and Damian are the same person as they have never appeared at the same time

I was thinking in the future, after Gotham Academy concludes.
    I just dont think she fits into something like the roll of a robin, or at the very least the normal role of a robin
    she is more of an adventurer rather than a crimefighter which is why she is the best character in the book, she brings the best from the book itself and not the other way around.

now true, her club is the "DETECTIVE" club
    but the club is not really about investigating crimes, is about solving mysteries
    Mystery is the key of the book.

If anything happens to the book I just dont think that the characters will move around other books, it will be more like Batman and the rest will go there
    my prefference would be more like make a new Robin title and have him be back in the academy

So true!!!!! She makes Olive, already a very difficult character for me to like, even less appealing, since she's ditching the friends who have been kind and loving to her for a semester for a "person" who is cruel even to her.
    I dont necesarilly thinks it harms her
    It just makes the effort an entire waste

He was here to inspire, as Batman always does!
    Idk, it just felt like a random cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    Is gotham academy endgame #1 collected in any tpb?I don't think it is, so i might pick it up as a single issue.Anyone?
    Sorry for being so late, but the Gotham Academy Endgame one-shot was collected in The Joker Endgame collection. I just checked at my work (Barnes and Noble), and it's there.

Sorry for being so late, but the Gotham Academy Endgame one-shot was collected in The Joker Endgame collection. I just checked at my work (Barnes and Noble), and it's there.
    Thanks, i just picked up the single issue and it was really good. Sadly, i am yet to get GA SS#5 yet and i am really looking forward to it. Hopefully i will get it Monday/Tuesday.

Also i just want to say that my favourite thing about Gotham Academy is the clothing and character design, there are tiny details which i love so much that would probably be overlooked in other comics. Stuff like Pom and Olive tying their hair back in their sports lesson could easily be ignored but is a good detail. Other examples are all of Map's t-shirt details, everyone's outfits at the dance and Sybil's funeral,Maps' bride to a grappling hook costume.
    Last edited by Red obin; 01-14-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    Thanks, i just picked up the single issue and it was really good. Sadly, i am yet to get GA SS#5 yet and i am really looking forward to it. Hopefully i will get it Monday/Tuesday.

Also i just want to say that my favourite thing about Gotham Academy is the clothing and character design, there are tiny details which i love so much that would probably be overlooked in other comics. Stuff like Pom and Olive tying their hair back in their sports lesson could easily be ignored but is a good detail. Other examples are all of Map's t-shirt details, everyone's outfits at the dance and Sybil's funeral,Maps' bride to a grappling hook costume.
    That's a really excellent point! Reminds me of a series often compared to Gotham Academy, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, where a huge part of the pleasure was the gorgeous artwork by Takeshi Miyazawa, and coloring by Christina Strain. The sheer loveliness of the textured details of actions and the everyday world was what make these "slice of life" stories last.

Same, it is really obvious now and they overused the twist in this issue.
    A really liked this issue personally, Pom's mum was intersting and the Pom and Colton parts were nice. Also MapsXmaps! I like the mystery developing so far.

Apparently, this story drags out until April. Three more issues of Amy being the WORST. Ugh. Ah, well, at least we know that we get three more issues of delightful Mapsness!