Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

It was pretty fun, but I am still just not really feeling this storyline. Mostly because I'm just not on board with ol' Olive.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

Yeah, #6 was a big step up from #5 and I think the problem is simple: Olive is the most boring character in her own series. Not a bad character, mind, but consider: Her story dominated the First Semester. Sure we had the Maps/Damian issue and some cute stories with Yearbook, but Olive got the lion's share of the development. Since the Annual, the focus has become much more balanced and other characters are shinning more. I'm way more interested in Pomeline, Tristan, Colton, Kyle and even Eric than I am in Olive, especially since the creators have made the upcoming twist with Amy very obvious.

With issue #6 it feels like this book is just crying out for an appearance by Klarion the Witch Boy as part of the main story line (as opposed to just a Yearbook vignette).

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    Yeah, #6 was a big step up from #5 and I think the problem is simple: Olive is the most boring character in her own series. Not a bad character, mind, but consider: Her story dominated the First Semester. Sure we had the Maps/Damian issue and some cute stories with Yearbook, but Olive got the lion's share of the development. Since the Annual, the focus has become much more balanced and other characters are shinning more. I'm way more interested in Pomeline, Tristan, Colton, Kyle and even Eric than I am in Olive, especially since the creators have made the upcoming twist with Amy very obvious.
    Well said. But you forgot to mention best character
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of DC View Post
    I think you nailed the problem
    Despite all of th great things in the book Olive is suppose to be the main character, this book is her story and her story SUCKS
    Everybody loves Maps and the rest of the characters but I dont think anyone here really cares that much about Olive and it is not that she is a bad character, it is quite simply that she could be so much more interesting given how much attention is given to her.
    I mean, I am more interested in how Cole might be getting expelled, about Pome and Eric's plot with the symbols and I even care so much more about Tristan as a chacter that the cliffhanger of him falling is more grabbing than the same cliffhanger on Olive posibly going berserk.
    I think is just a combination of bad pacing with a couple of questionable decisions on the Second Semester, I know we keep on hammering on this point but her story is extremely predictable and not just the twist with Amy but how the character is progresing, she is just not an interesting protagonist here.

My favorite Scene with her in the book is when she and the gang meet Killer Croc and then he starts talking to him about her mom. But my favorite chp is still chp 7 with Damian and Maps, the only chp without Olive at all. I never thought much about it but I guess thats the downside, if the book wants to survive it needs to make a drastic change with Olive and quick.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Stupid realization:

I wanted to check on something on an older chp of GA and I came to a moment in which they mention Olive's mom by name
    Up to this point I only thought of her as Calamity and nothing else
    Her full name is Sybil Silverlock

Sybil
    as in the most important case ever documented of multiple personality disorder

Like it wasnt more freaking obvious.

Another random thought: looking back to the ending it doesnt even makes much sense for Olive to react
    Tristan is her friend/love interest? but over the whole second semester they have barelly had any interaction at all and even if they did I wouldnt even call it a big connection.
    Looking back at the first part the only other character besides Maps that had a much meaningful interaction was Prof Macpherson and she has not appeared in the book.

My point is, even if this was Prof Mcpherson this wouldnt had been a good cliffhanger because she barely had any part on any of this and Tristan is on the exact same position

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    if the book wants to survive it needs to make a drastic change with Olive and quick.
    I think they need to wrap her story arc, like next issue, and move on to new things. She can and probably should remain as important character, but her story really needs to end. I feel like every character got some growth and their small story arcs here and there while what exactly is Olive's story? I honestly have lost track of what is actually happening with her and where are we moving and why it does even matter any more.

Ideally I think that Olive's story should have wrapped before Year Book arc and this new semester thing should have set up some new angle. Maybe they should have done more work on that kid (whose name I completely forgot) who replaced Damian so that it wouldn't have been so jarring? I don't know, I think that they had lots of options that would have worked way better than "Olive is crazy" plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Another random thought: looking back to the ending it doesnt even makes much sense for Olive to react
    Tristan is her friend/love interest? but over the whole second semester they have barelly had any interaction at all and even if they did I wouldnt even call it a big connection.
    I don't know if that "love interest" thing between the two (if there really was one) ever went anywhere. I don't recall it reaching a point where they were a "couple" as much as two people who had a strange connection since they both aren't exactly "normal". (But it has been a while since I read the "First Semester" issues.)

The love interest between Olive and Tristan really only existed to make Ryan jealous. After he'd served that purpose, Tristan kind of disappeared from the book as a regular character.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think they need to wrap her story arc, like next issue, and move on to new things. She can and probably should remain as important character, but her story really needs to end. I feel like every character got some growth and their small story arcs here and there while what exactly is Olive's story? I honestly have lost track of what is actually happening with her and where are we moving and why it does even matter any more.
    Olive story is quite simple if not even unoriginal
    is she destined to be a villain just like her mom and pretty much most of her family or can she find her own way?

again not very original
    If she realizes "maybe I should learn to control my powers, be good, etc, etc" then there is no surprices

now a twist would be: she becomes a villain
    and that might not be a very good idea for the story or the character
    now maybe she would be more interesting as a villain but i dont know if the book would improve

Ideally I think that Olive's story should have wrapped before Year Book arc and this new semester thing should have set up some new angle. Maybe they should have done more work on that kid (whose name I completely forgot) who replaced Damian so that it wouldn't have been so jarring? I don't know, I think that they had lots of options that would have worked way better than "Olive is crazy" plot point.
    The problem with Eric is that we dont know why he is doing what he is doing which has an easy solution and might be revealed soon

To me the catch of the book is "The Mystery"
    the mystery of...
    the diary
    the symbols
    the school
    and the characters
    etc.

the mystery is the plot

Olive/Amy mystery Sucks because we solve it in 2 chps so it is not engaging
    To recover the book, it just needs to present a new mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't know if that "love interest" thing between the two (if there really was one) ever went anywhere. I don't recall it reaching a point where they were a "couple" as much as two people who had a strange connection since they both aren't exactly "normal". (But it has been a while since I read the "First Semester" issues.)
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    The love interest between Olive and Tristan really only existed to make Ryan jealous. After he'd served that purpose, Tristan kind of disappeared from the book as a regular character.
    I think this is pretty debatable but you both are correct, they never actually improve their relationship, THATS THE PROBLEM.
    My main point was that It was not a great cliffhanger for Olive as she has not really shown a significant connection with Tristan recently
    If maybe that romance had been improve or even be relevant as friends then the whole "burn them all, Olive" would have work better
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 02-18-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Excellent points, Arnoldoaad! I think the problem with the series is that it has sacrificed character development and dynamics for the narrative effects of suspense. The plot is necessary - I think the Yearbook issues were very difficult for the sales of the series, and should not have been clumped all together - they would have worked much better as backups spread throughout the year and a half of issues - but it's not being balanced with showing why we should care about Olive and her friends.

The Cover for GA #9

Interesting

Preview for #7 is up! And SPOILERS!

I WAS RIGHT!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...nd-semester-7/

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Preview for #7 is up! And SPOILERS!

I WAS RIGHT!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...nd-semester-7/
    ok Kudos for picking it up before anyone else but still not great on the writting dept