Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Master Combatants: Top Fighters Of The Superman Universe

    While I find it very annoying that Superman uses his fists to solve nearly all his problems nowadays, I must admit it is pretty cool to see Superman come to blows with some of his foes. Who would you say are the best fighters and what are the fights from the Superman line?

    Metallo

    Lobo

    Doomsday

    Darkseid

    Orion

    Kalibak

    Darkseid's Furies

    Mongul

    Wraith (Unchained)

    Zod

    Faora

    Brainac (Johns' muscular revamp)

    Bizarro

    Imperiex

    Cyborg Superman

    Atlas

    Manchester Black and the Elite

    The Superman Revenge Squad

    Equius

    Batman

    Wonder Woman


    If there are any combatants I've missed or fights you'd like to see represented, please add them.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 11-14-2016 at 03:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,254

    Default

    Ugh, Atlas. I guess we should then add Krypto to this list.

    Pre crisis Foara was notable, all of the Monguls have been adept, and so is Wonder woman if you count her as part of his world. Batman, too, but he's a fire ant amongst men.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member manduck37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    I would say that Doomsday isn't really a "fighter". He doesn't have any training or try to fight in any particular style. He's more of a force of nature. His attacks are just wild swings of rage.

  4. #4
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,634

    Default

    Shouldn't Maxima be on this list?

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Shouldn't Maxima be on this list?
    She's a member of the Superman Revenge Squad.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member adkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    She's a member of the Superman Revenge Squad.
    So's Metallo (as of 'Last Son')

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    So's Metallo (as of 'Last Son')
    It's been years since I've read Last Son. Is that what they called themselves? Haha, oh Johns.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member adkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It's been years since I've read Last Son. Is that what they called themselves? Haha, oh Johns.
    And then Superman joins it

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member W8IN4KAL-EL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    191

    Default

    How about Gog,Ultraman,and Tyrell?
    Last edited by W8IN4KAL-EL; 11-15-2016 at 01:57 AM.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Favorite image of the day. Superman KO'ing Lobo and Lar Gand with a move right out of the Three Stooges.




  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    Batman and WW don't count.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    I've always liked the idea that Superman's a phenomenally good fighter, but there never seemed to be any reason why he should be at the start of his career. It's one thing if Starfire or Diana or Bruce teach him to fight later on, but that's not good enough for me. It positions Superman in a place of dept to other heroes, and besides, he needs to get to know the League before they'll teach him anyway.

    Learning to fight from the Legion is significantly better, and in fact I'm a big fan of the idea that a big reason Kal's the greatest hero in the present is because he's got so much practice with the Legion as Superboy, and the Legion makes the JLA look like wusses! But obviously the Legion's not a big part of Superman's backstory in most versions of the character. Even when they're his friends, colleagues and teachers when he's a young man, they're still always a part of his backstory that can be readily excised. I don't want any version of Superman who wasn't a Legionnaire to be a mediocre fighter, I want him to be a good fighter all the time!

    And then in his Action Comics run, Grant Morrison hit on the perfect solution: Superman is a "natural brawler". It's a simple handwave to explain away the fact that Superman is just inherently good at fighting. It's not because he's experienced, it's not because he's trained with Wildcat, it's not because he's a Legionnaire. He's just good at fighting, powers or no! He's just a scrapper. I can really dig it, daddy-o!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  13. #13
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,254

    Default

    Superman is indeed just about the toughest customer in his world. In our world, Superman is the only character with a legit martial arts move in his name.

    Oh, and I didn't like this comic but

    It's always sweet to see Superman throw a kick. Pre crisis, he was a habitual punter.

  14. #14
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,536

    Default

    Why isn't Supergirl on this list?

    Supergirl (2016-) 005-017.jpg

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Doctor Know's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Why isn't Supergirl on this list?
    Haha, an oversite on my part. She should be included though. Given her history.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •