Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The Supergirl show with Supergirl beating up Superman annoys me more and more with time.

The show makers brought Superman to prop her up. Not to add something to the story but to show how she's so wonderful. That could have been done that with anyone. Why use Superman? Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman shall never be made 'jobbers'. I have lost any interest in a Superman show. Better reserve him for the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The most common theme there is Superman trying to talk her down without a fight, so it's not really a thing where she's a better fighter. Although I don't watch the CW show.
    Well Supergirl did try to talk Superman down because he was being mind controlled by silver kryptonite. After a while she realized that was useless and the only way to stop Superman was to put him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    The Supergirl show with Supergirl beating up Superman annoys me more and more with time.

The show makers brought Superman to prop her up. Not to add something to the story but to show how she's so wonderful. That could have been done that with anyone. Why use Superman? Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman shall never be made 'jobbers'. I have lost any interest in a Superman show. Better reserve him for the big screen.
    Because they needed Superman to help deal with the Daxamite invasion. It would have been ridiculous to have introduced Superman at the start of the season and then not have
    him show up when Supergirl was facing overwhelming numbers. The fight was fan service for people that enjoy the times when Supergirl and Superman throw down in the comic books.
    Supergirl fans enjoyed the hell out of it. Just like Batman fans enjoyed the hell out of Batman v Superman. Why not have had Superman fight Metallo in BvS? Because they wanted
    to suck in the Batman fans. Yeah, they really respect Superman in the movies. Not.

And anyway the thread is master combatants. Can you not agree that both Supergirl and Superman are both master combatants?
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 03-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well Supergirl did try to talk Superman down because he was being mind controlled by silver kryptonite. After a while she realized that was useless and the only way to stop Superman was to put him down.

Because they needed Superman to help deal with the Daxamite invasion. It would have been ridiculous to have introduced Superman at the start of the season and then not have
    him show up when Supergirl was facing overwhelming numbers. The fight was fan service for people that enjoy the times when Supergirl and Superman throw down in the comic books.
    Supergirl fans enjoyed the hell out of it. Just like Batman fans enjoyed the hell out of Batman v Superman. Why not have had Superman fight Metallo in BvS? Because they wanted
    to suck in the Batman fans. Yeah, they really respect Superman in the movies. Not.

And anyway the thread is master combatants. Can you not agree that both Supergirl and Superman are both master combatants?

I can! Especially, when the writers do their job and make him fight smart.

Now I want to see Kara vs Car-Vex...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Now I want to see Kara vs Car-Vex...
    With Brian Bendis writing her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I mean, in terms of pure skill (and Batman is mentioned in the OP so I guess that counts), I-Ching should be considered near the top now that he's a Super character. Of course he's also not exactly alive at the moment since he's become a part of Kenan. Hmm. Also relevant to this thread, we know Kenan has some basic martial arts training thanks to I-Ching and we don't know what the upper limits of his powers are, especially now that he's the living embodiment of yin and yang.
    It would be interesting to see Kenans martial arts skills increase with his powers. Could make for some interesting fights other than just throwing fists.

Karate Kid. Pre-Crisis at least, until his Superboy history is concretely put back.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Spotlight on Supergirl

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Linda or Matrix generally isn't in the same weight class, which is just a testament to how big a deal Superman is. Kara though is much closer than some would like to admit.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Eh Superman is better imo than what he's generally shown as being in modern times. He's suppose to be the champion of champions, been around long enough to have done everything twice, let the "simple farmboy" thing take a rest. Guys probably seen more combat than most of the DCU combined.
    Last edited by The World; 03-08-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

doomsday was the one who made superman really goes out his strength.mongul only pre-crisis version is a worthy enemy for superman,post-crisis version,mongul 1 been beaten by superman even when him drained in superman exile story arc,mongul 2 sneak attack superman after fighting imperiex probe,and still defeated by superman,later he and his sister both faces superman,and still superman casually battling both of them even had adventage.lobo only has majority to superman is in krypton man arc,but in this period,superman didn't want to fight,he depends on strategy more than brawls.and later,lobo has been superman beating multiple times,in superman and lobo issue,superman man of steel(been one punched to out space casually,someone maybe arguing this period superman been amped,but writer's letter has explain superman really had extra power is in parasite story arc).adventures of superman defeating him and lar simultaneously
    darkseid is physically equal to superman has been mentioned twice in my memory,orion,also is a worthy foe,kalibak,he and rest apokolips been superman bagging in and throw back to apokolips
    zod worthy foe
    faora pre-crisis,yes,a insane powerful character,post-crisis,she always adhere with zod so hard to say
    brainiac,yes,he is at kryptonian level,but only apply when he at his ship,
    bizarro,no,in ending battle,he with a bunch of villains still can't take down superman......he even can't pass russian zod
    imperiex,too powerful
    cyborg superman,yes,one of the deadliest superman villians
    atlas,no he only could handle a weakened superman
    black and elite only can face not serious superman
    superman revange squad,maxima and misa combining power could make a lot of trouble to superman,but this squad couldn't functioning well
    batman,he is batman
    wonder woman,superman level power,so yes,she is a worthy enemy for superman
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 03-09-2019 at 12:18 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

"Don't hold back, or he'll kill everyone."

Diana is the best fighter in the JL and even she couldn't stop Doomsday. nuff said.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Eh Superman is better imo than what he's generally shown as being in modern times. He's suppose to be the champion of champions, been around long enough to have done everything twice, let the "simple farmboy" thing take a rest. Guys probably seen more combat than most of the DCU combined.
    I think "simple" is just what people who don't like him say. Being a farmboy shouldn't really help or hurt, but strangely it does actually help his toughness.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I like Supes being a boxer. One because I always welcome callbacks to the Ali fight and two because I hate the trend of making him dependent on WW or Batman to teach him basic skills like how to fight. As for fights some of my favorite fights have been when he fights angels.
    E1F77C2B-6AA4-47AA-BE13-C97D3AF5C867.jpg

I view Superman as a good fighter, but a brawler at heart. He has studied a lot of boxing, and possibly some wrestling, but never really received any formal or structured training. What he knows, he mainly picked up "on the job".

To a fighter like Wonder Woman, Superman would likely telegraph most of his moves, and she would fight with her whole body in a way that Superman cannot do. I also imagine she is a far more economical fighter, better able to utilise the strength of the opponent(s) against them and preserving her own stamina.

To put it another way, Superman can leverage his superior strength and speed to gain extreme control over where and how he strikes, but he to gain that control he needs to trade some of his speed. Wonder Woman on the other hand would have all of her control no matter how fast or how hard she chooses to strike.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])