Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    You never know when you’ll be depowered, you’ll never know when you’re put in a position where relying on physical combat is your only choice.
    I think comics rely on this trope too often.

I mean, I get the need for knowing basic combat skills. At the very least, you never know when you'll get into fisticuffs with someone who's your physical equal, so you'll want an edge. That's true for comic characters as well as real life folks.

I think him having a defined fighting style or knowing quite a few fighting styles couldn’t hurt. You never know when you’ll be depowered, you’ll never know when you’re put in a position where relying on physical combat is your only choice.

Edit: I think all superheroes should know many forms of martial arts.
    Or... SON OF JOR-EL! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Yeah, Superman vs Zod tends to come down to out-fighting his opponent. So what if he can slap 100 normal people senseless with a single blow? fighting Zod? not the same thing.

Superman II (any version) was pretty sloppy with the details, but you could distill its conclusion to Superman couldn't fight and beat three super-powered Kryptonians, so he had to outsmart them. In Man of Steel, once Zod learned to deal with sensory overload and soaked in enough solar energy, he should've had a clear advantage over Kal, but somehow lost. Supes had a punchers chance so winning wasn't out of the question, but he had no power advantage and was at a skill disadvantage, but still somehow won.

In short, fighting skill has been made irrelevant in the movies. Thoughts?

EDIT: Superman should have a fighting style unique to his own. I like to think someone trained in the martial arts would beat a depowered (I know I just railed against this) Superman, but if instead you gave some black belt or trained warrior or whatever Kryptonian powers, then Superman's going to win. As a human, we study martial arts to control our bodies to inflict damage, but Superman's body doesn't work like ours. For instance, if we were floating in outer space and tried to punch someone, it wouldn't work so well, but Superman can hit just as hard in almost any environment.

Maybe you can all it Kal Kent Do or something, the Way of the Superman's Fist.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 11-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think that even holds true for Batman though. They don't really get action stars so much as guys who look natural wearing a turtleneck, so he always kinda gets beat up and goes to some other solution.

And then Cap is more powerful in the movies with less emphasis on skill, Thor's skill is hardly applicable... I guess that's just how it goes. Next Superman I would really want him to be established and not some guy finding his way. As a vet superhero he can pull more crafty stuff and then I think he'd look more charming than overpowered.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Superman II (any version) was pretty sloppy with the details, but you could distill its conclusion to Superman couldn't fight and beat three super-powered Kryptonians, so he had to outsmart them. In Man of Steel, once Zod learned to deal with sensory overload and soaked in enough solar energy, he should've had a clear advantage over Kal, but somehow lost. Supes had a punchers chance so winning wasn't out of the question, but he had no power advantage and was at a skill disadvantage, but still somehow won.

In short, fighting skill has been made irrelevant in the movies. Thoughts?

EDIT: Superman should have a fighting style unique to his own. I like to think someone trained in the martial arts would beat a depowered (I know I just railed against this) Superman, but if instead you gave some black belt or trained warrior or whatever Kryptonian powers, then Superman's going to win. As a human, we study martial arts to control our bodies to inflict damage, but Superman's body doesn't work like ours. For instance, if we were floating in outer space and tried to punch someone, it wouldn't work so well, but Superman can hit just as hard in almost any environment.

Maybe you can all it Kal Kent Do or something, the Way of the Superman's Fist.
    He did study Kryptonian martial arts in some continuities, but he needs to develop a fighting style that lets him fight in the air. That’s something no human martial art can teach.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Okay, serious question. How do you blokes and lassies feel about Lex Luthor's Warsuit? And should Luthor ever engage in direct fisticuffs with Supes?

How do you feel about Luthor's other fashion choices.

Superfriends/Tactical suit

Business Suit

Last edited by Doctor Know; 11-14-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Spotlight on OMAC. The One Man Army Corps - Observational Metahuman Activity Construct.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-19-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Superman vs Steppenwolf
    That's a rather extreme reaction to just not liking "Born to be Wild".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    The most common theme there is Superman trying to talk her down without a fight, so it's not really a thing where she's a better fighter. Although I don't watch the CW show.
    A smart life choice.

I think him having a defined fighting style or knowing quite a few fighting styles couldn’t hurt. You never know when you’ll be depowered, you’ll never know when you’re put in a position where relying on physical combat is your only choice.

Edit: I think all superheroes should know many forms of martial arts.

Well, if Superman has been fighting all those supervillains for years, he must have learned how to fight and be affective with his punches, etc. He has the experience and practice, and he can use it even if depowered.

I'm not oppose to him learning some martial arts or specific moves, but I don't like the idea that Wonder Woman or even less Batman showed him how.. Much prefer that he learned it at the Fortress in some interactive computer program from Krypton. Now that sounds cool.

Spotlight on Red Son Bizarro/Superior Man.

Incredible Member

superman small time foe that uses martial arts is shadow dragon.

Spotlight on Captain Atom.

Spotlight on the Four Supermen