Default Sony buys Funimation!

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...on-1202511492/

Well sony just got tons of anime to make live action movies from!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well sony just got tons of anime to make live action movies from!
    Nope. They just got distribution rights to anime.

Creating live action movies from those properties would be completely separate deals.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Whether or not this is good news remains to be seen.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope Sony Television does handles anime better than Sony Music. Aniplex stuff will cost you your first born.

Incredible Member

er funimation is the last of the dubbing companies standing.

I have absolutely no faith in their ability to continue to survive sony.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly, and this is just a theory, I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two we hear about Sony launching a new "Premium Anime Channel." They were very specific in mentioning Funimation alongside Animax and Kids Station in their official statement. I'm thinking they acquired Funimation because it gives them access to an extremely large catalog of anime.

So let's say, between Funimation and Animax and Kids Station and Sony Picture Entertainment they build up a new Add-On Anime channel that they can use for PSVue and license out to the other Live TV streaming services like Sling TV, Direct TV Now, etc. We already see these premium add-on channels with these services with stuff like HBO and Cinemax, so it's definitely a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    er funimation is the last of the dubbing companies standing.
    Other than Sentai Film Works and Discotek. And Viz and Aniplex typically have their content dubbed by Bang Zoom!
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Honestly, and this is just a theory, I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two we hear about Sony launching a new "Premium Anime Channel." They were very specific in mentioning Funimation alongside Animax and Kids Station in their official statement. I'm thinking they acquired Funimation because it gives them access to an extremely large catalog of anime.

So let's say, between Funimation and Animax and Kids Station and Sony Picture Entertainment they build up a new Add-On Anime channel that they can use for PSVue and license out to the other Live TV streaming services like Sling TV, Direct TV Now, etc. We already see these premium add-on channels with these services with stuff like HBO and Cinemax, so it's definitely a possibility.

Other than Sentai Film Works and Discotek. And Viz and Aniplex typically have their content dubbed by Bang Zoom!
    I hope they don't do that as it could screw over crunchyroll. Amazon and Netflix do that enough already.

i wonder how much they are going to raise the price on the streaming service.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman overseeing live action anime, which genre hasn't had a decent adaption or good movie yet. There's a terrifying thought.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman overseeing live action anime, which genre hasn't had a decent adaption or good movie yet. There's a terrifying thought.
    Funimation only gets the rights to dub and do home video release and merchandise of the anime. Sony would have to negotiate with the actual Japanese Companies that owns the IPs if they want to make any Live Action Adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope they don't do that as it could screw over crunchyroll. Amazon and Netflix do that enough already.
    I honestly doubt they drop it since Funimation would be losing out on a lot of extra content. That business partnership was win-win for both sides.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I hope they stay in Flower Mound. I was always proud they were based in Texas.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Hopefully Sony makes a new digital sub-station with all these cartoons they've got now. I think they've already got two sub-channels right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Funimation only gets the rights to dub and do home video release and merchandise of the anime. Sony would have to negotiate with the actual Japanese Companies that owns the IPs if they want to make any Live Action Adaptations.
    Doesn't Sony do quite a bit of that already through Aniplex? I'm sure a big reason they did this was just to make that stuff easier.